[1.12.x] FTL Drive Continued

linuxgurugamer

7 hours ago, Daveroski said:

Updated via CKAN. Latest release.

So, I'm outside of Kerbins SOI. Planning to jump to my test beacon around the Mun.

It's like.. Nahhh.. Gettifuh you bassa.. get some more warp drives!

I pop back to KSP and then return to the ship and it seems to have had a memory wipe and it's like...

Well... Helloooo Stranger! Hmmm mmmm! You can jump me right now!

And can then jump to the test beacon.

And of course once you report it... it goes away. Hasn't happened since.

First, would be better if you just listed the steps without the commentary, kind of turns me off.

Second, log file

third, it's what I call a GOK (God Only Knows)

1 hour ago, linuxgurugamer said:

First, would be better if you just listed the steps without the commentary, kind of turns me off.

Second, log file

third, it's what I call a GOK (God Only Knows)

First, I'm not sure I would want to produce the opposite effect - at least not without dinner and drinks.

Second. As soon as I realised that the bug wasn't repeating I came right back and edited my post so that you wouldn't waste any time trying to find a fault I could no longer reliably reproduce.

Third.. Not going there.. that would be discussing religion and that's against the rules. ;)

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/2/2018 at 5:17 AM, bujobotaro said:

I've been trying to change the forceGenerated for different FTL drives (im trying numbers like 60000) but in the actual game, it simply shows as 0. 

If you're not editing the files directly then maybe you're doing something wrong in your patch config. Show your config.

Edited by JadeOfMaar

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, i have a problem. The FTL-Mod is installed and i can use the parts. But, when i right-klick FTL-parts there is no mod-specific option. I can not start a beacon or do anything on a FTL-drive.

I used older versions of this mod with great succes but i cant find the problem now.

i use both latest versions of KSP and FTL. But i use some more part-mods. Could there be a conflict?

59 minutes ago, Melcom said:

Hello, i have a problem. The FTL-Mod is installed and i can use the parts. But, when i right-klick FTL-parts there is no mod-specific option. I can not start a beacon or do anything on a FTL-drive.

I used older versions of this mod with great succes but i cant find the problem now.

i use both latest versions of KSP and FTL. But i use some more part-mods. Could there be a conflict?

Did you install the dependencies as listed in the OP?

New Dependency

• 1 month later...

So I'm having a strange problem with this... Namely, vessels tend to randomly disintegrate -- or rather, get krakened apart, in the original meaning of the word -- upon successful jumps. That is, the jump succeeds, and then, after the ship gets unpacked, parts start falling off, or freeze after getting shifted far off their original positions. This happens about 40% of the time.

What's weird is that there is clearly nothing relevant in the logs after that, but Flight Event log mentions structural failures on joints.

I have a hunch that 60 frames is too low for HoldVesselUnpack with as many mods installed as I have, (GameEvents for SOI change take time to run, don't they?) but it'll take me some time to verify that...

Alternatively, it might be some other mod interfering with the process (BonVoyage-driven rovers also seem to occasionally bend, so it happens at least sometimes with any kind of vessel unpack) but I currently don't have any idea which one. (ReCoupler?...)

EDIT: ...It seems to reliably happen when the jump starts when any other vessels are in physics range.

Edited by Mihara
Addendum

21 minutes ago, Mihara said:

So I'm having a strange problem with this... Namely, vessels tend to randomly disintegrate -- or rather, get krakened apart, in the original meaning of the word -- upon successful jumps. That is, the jump succeeds, and then, after the ship gets unpacked, parts start falling off, or freeze after getting shifted far off their original positions. This happens about 40% of the time.

What's weird is that there is clearly nothing relevant in the logs after that, but Flight Event log mentions structural failures on joints.

I have a hunch that 60 frames is too low for HoldVesselUnpack with as many mods installed as I have, (GameEvents for SOI change take time to run, don't they?) but it'll take me some time to verify that...

Alternatively, it might be some other mod interfering with the process (BonVoyage-driven rovers also seem to occasionally bend, so it happens at least sometimes with any kind of vessel unpack) but I currently don't have any idea which one. (ReCoupler?...)

Log file would be helpful

8 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Log file would be helpful

Well, here's an excerpt. It doesn't look helpful: By the time you see any messages that look at all suspicious, the vessel has already disintegrated. (i.e. "debris" objects start getting mentioned and initialized.) The actual disintegration does not appear to correspond to any event that gets logged.

As I mentioned above, though, I think I got it to happen reliably: It always happens when, before jump, there was another vessel (a beacon, in this case) within physics range, and seems to never happen if there was no such vessel. Let me see if this can be observed in isolation...

17 minutes ago, Mihara said:

Well, here's an excerpt. It doesn't look helpful: By the time you see any messages that look at all suspicious, the vessel has already disintegrated. (i.e. "debris" objects start getting mentioned and initialized.) The actual disintegration does not appear to correspond to any event that gets logged.

As I mentioned above, though, I think I got it to happen reliably: It always happens when, before jump, there was another vessel (a beacon, in this case) within physics range, and seems to never happen if there was no such vessel. Let me see if this can be observed in isolation...

An excerpt is not useful.  The log file has information not necessarily related to the immediate issue which is useful and needed

• 2 months later...

hi! i was to move these parts up to basicScience (for science reasons!). I tried to edit the CFG to say:

TechRequired = basicScience

but they're still in the same research nodes. any tips on how to move em?
thanks!

Update: nevermind! figured it out. changed the values in the community tech tree cfg instead of parts

Edited by dresoccer4

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey Linuxgurugamer, would there be any formula (for the beacon’s end instead of the drive’s end) to calculate how efficient the jump would be to a beacon at a specific height? Just launching probes that reach the escape velocity of the sun and wanted to see how much it would effect jumping to it if it was at 100 GM or 200 GM.

Also, is there any way possible to introduce a scroll bar? I’m finding it rather hard to jump because of the amount of beacons I have :D (they tend to go off screen, I don’t know if turning off the stock window option will fix it, and I probably should’ve checked before bringing it up here).

• 4 weeks later...

I've read through this thread, or rather, skimmed through, trying to find out how far out is "pretty far".  Experimenting is getting a little bit tiresome.  Is there some documentation on how to calculate how far from a body the beacon and drive need to be to get 100% success chance (or at least high 90's)?  The suggestions I found in this thread are all extremely vague and not much more useful than "pretty far".

On 3/9/2019 at 12:49 PM, DoubleUU said:

I've read through this thread, or rather, skimmed through, trying to find out how far out is "pretty far".  Experimenting is getting a little bit tiresome.  Is there some documentation on how to calculate how far from a body the beacon and drive need to be to get 100% success chance (or at least high 90's)?  The suggestions I found in this thread are all extremely vague and not much more useful than "pretty far".

It's rather hard to say, it depends on many different factors.  Have you tried using the UI in the VAB/SPH (right-click the ftl drive and select Show/Hide possible destinations).  It currently only works with beacons in orbit, but the UI has a slider with which you can vary the test altitude, as well as the test body for the vessel.  Keep in mind that this is experimental stuff, so you don't know how the different values interact

10 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

It's rather hard to say, it depends on many different factors.  Have you tried using the UI in the VAB/SPH (right-click the ftl drive and select Show/Hide possible destinations).  It currently only works with beacons in orbit, but the UI has a slider with which you can vary the test altitude, as well as the test body for the vessel.  Keep in mind that this is experimental stuff, so you don't know how the different values interact

Ah, I didn't notice that you could do that!  Thanks, that helps quite a bit.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 8/19/2019 at 9:28 PM, LemonZest said:

Hey there! Having problems getting the newest version to work. I installed 2.2.2., and both of the dependencies, but I get no right click functionality and the custom toolbar from Toolbar Controller doesn't show up. What am I doing wrong?

Something isn't installed correctly.  Please provide a log file

• 4 weeks later...

I am really happy to see that you have taken over my old mod. I stopped all these years ago, because I am just a programmer and not a designer, I could not create the models in Blender that was required to bring it to the next step it needed.

Just for nostalgia I looked it up now, and saw that you have resurrected it, thanks, that is awsome!

8 minutes ago, krh42 said:

I am really happy to see that you have taken over my old mod. I stopped all these years ago, because I am just a programmer and not a designer, I could not create the models in Blender that was required to bring it to the next step it needed.

Just for nostalgia I looked it up now, and saw that you have resurrected it, thanks, that is awsome!

Like you, I am not a designer I am a developer. I actually asked somebody else to make the new models. Good to see you back hope you stick around for a while.

17 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Like you, I am not a designer I am a developer. I actually asked somebody else to make the new models. Good to see you back hope you stick around for a while.

I would like to stick around, would you be ok if I help with the mod?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.