Terrain problem

Just get my first station mun surface damn it was hard job! build it on kerbin orbit and it's not even very big just that big science module and hitchiker module and batteries, antennas, solar panels etc! But anyway i landed and of course i was tilted over 15 degrees because mun terrain! Finally shoot up rocket again and landed better spot it take about 20 times before i get it better surface crs was empty so flying hole station was a poodle:P now station is only tilted 3 degrees which it's fine and i'am so proud my first station but question is there any way find good flat surfaces on mun kind stellar bodies or do i have to just quess where to land and hope nice flat area?

The easiest way is to start by landing a small exploration ship with a kerbal in it. Once you are landed, you look around and start walking to the biggest flat area you can see. Then you plant a flag in the middle of the flat spot. Then you land the big important ship next to the flag.

12 minutes ago, bewing said:

Then you plant a flag in the middle of the flat spot. Then you land the big important ship next to the flag.

By risk of clarifying the obvious: you can easily set flags as your target from the map view, allowing you to take advantage of the appropriate navball markers for fine-tuning your landing/rendezvous.

Or just build your surface station so that it's highly tip-resistant, so that it doesn't matter whether the surface you land it on is level or not.  Then you can land just about anywhere.  The Mun has a fairly rough surface, yes, but most of it isn't seriously steep, and you can generally spot the really steep places (mainly canyons and crater walls) from orbit and avoid them.

Building a tip-resistant surface base is fairly straightforward.  Keep it low and squat.  Wide placement of landing legs, don't build it too tall, make the CoM as low as possible (i.e. put the heavy components at the bottom).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.