[1.4+] BETA: Kerbal Attachment System (KAS) v1.0 Release Candidate 1

IgorZ

16 hours ago, IgorZ said:

• [Fix] RTS-1 connector not being picked up by kerbal.

Hah! Thanx for this - I was about to post an issue on this as I tested over the weekend and found I couldn't use this part. It kept beeping at me, so I thought I must of missed a step in the manual.

20 hours ago, Xd the great said:

I am a newbie to this mod, so i wanna ask a question after watching tutorial videos. How do you tether eva kerbals to your ship?

As of today there is no separate part that allows it. You may attach a winch nearby to the ladder, grab the connector from it and select "Instant stretch" on the winch. However, this solution has a lot of side effects.

I keep this idea in my mind, but the priority of this feature is not too high.

20 hours ago, RealKerbal3x said:

@IgorZ Do you plan to add EVA struts and whatnot, like in old KAS? Those were really good for securing space stations.

No, there is no such a plan. The main idea of KAS 1.0 is to make everything physical. In the old approach the pipes for the struts were pulled out from nowhere, which is a pure cheat. It's a physics based game, if you attach a pipe in space, you have to spend resources to bring the pipe there. If you need a structural connection (i.e. a strong joint) you can use TJ1 & TJ2 parts, but they are limited on the distance. If your only intent is to transfer the resources, then RTS1 is your choice - it gives you 10m of distance (as the former EVA struts), but doesn't awake the kraken on load.

Edited by IgorZ

1 hour ago, IgorZ said:

As of today there is no separate part that allows it. You may attach a winch nearby to the ladder, grab the connector from it and select "Instant stretch" on the winch. However, this solution has a lot of side effects.

I keep this idea in my mind, but the priority of this feature is not too high.

No, there is no such a plan. The main idea of KAS 1.0 is to make everything physical. In the old approach the pipes for the struts were pulled out from nowhere, which is a pure cheat. It's a physics based game, if you attach a pipe in space, you have to spend resources to bring the pipe there. If you need a structural connection (i.e. a strong joint) you can use TJ1 & TJ2 parts, but they are limited on the distance. If your only intent is to transfer the resources, then RTS1 is your choice - it gives you 10m of distance (as the former EVA struts), but doesn't awake the kraken on load.

OK, well ensuring that the physics are realistic is the most important part. :)

Edited by RealKerbal3x
emoticon didn't work

Hello there,

The TJ-1 and TJ-2 connectors allow the vessels to become docked, they do not have the crossfeed warning on them like the towbar and the cable, and are described as pipes; still I am not able to transfer resources between two ships connected by them in dock mode unless I turn off resources obey crossfeed. Am I missing something obvious? Were they never intended to allow resource transfers? I think I am pretty sure there is no other part in between the tanks that is blocking the transfer.

On 6/15/2018 at 9:05 AM, mrstoned said:

Excellent textures.

Thanks! Never worked with the textures before. I've spent several days making them looking like this :) 

@IgorZ  I started using your beta, and found an issue.  The yellow pipe won't recognize LF/OX when in un-docked mode via the gui.  They are showing 0/0 instead of the values on hand and tank volume.  I am using Modular Fuel Tanks.  Using docked I can transfer anything using the KSP windows.

I have a mix of USI and non USI tanks attached to my base as well that use a different parts switcher, and they seem to be picked up fine.

Love the new parts!  

uc?export=view&id=1TSeYonqk_shIQFgTfjnE0

On 6/24/2018 at 12:29 AM, Critter79606 said:

@IgorZ  I started using your beta, and found an issue.  The yellow pipe won't recognize LF/OX when in un-docked mode via the gui.  They are showing 0/0 instead of the values on hand and tank volume.  I am using Modular Fuel Tanks.  Using docked I can transfer anything using the KSP windows.

I have a mix of USI and non USI tanks attached to my base as well that use a different parts switcher, and they seem to be picked up fine.

Love the new parts!  

uc?export=view&id=1TSeYonqk_shIQFgTfjnE0

It seems there is some active behavior on these part that stops KAS from detecting them properly (however, I;m using the stock methods for that). Do you mind making a really simple setup on the launch pad to reproduce the case?

Native English speaking people wanted! I'm making fun descriptions for the KAS 1.0 parts. I'd be appreciated if someone could read thru them and suggest/correct, so that they don't sound awkward. Feel free to suggest your own descriptions, if you have some :)

Spoiler

KAS.PCB1
Basically, it's a simple manually operated winch with a small reserve of a steel cable, which allows keeping the things not too far away from each other. There should be a hook on the other vessel to attach the cable, so this part solves only a half of the problem.

KAS.CH1
A hook to attach a cable brace. It's the other part of the "keep-these-things-together" solution.

KAS.RTS1
It transfers resources between the vessels. The hose diameter is not impressive, but the size is not what matters: a patented technology allows moving any kind of things thru it. Including, but not limited to, rocks and even kerbals. Warranty void in the latter case, though.

KAS.TB60
A simple solution to tow a vessel which cannot move by itself. With a simple rope the towed vessel will likely hit the tow truck on a stop or during the maneuvers, but with the towbar it's not the case. Moreover, it can help steering the vessel in tow if the one is operable. Keep the batteries fresh, or else the active steering won't work.

KAS.TJ1
This simple telescoping strut can rigidly connect two vessels. The connection distance is not too much, but the strength is adequate. The design was inspired by a selfie stick which Jebediah has bought on a sale.

KAS.TJ2
It's the same TJ-1 "selfie stick", except the hinges are not locked. The best solution to keep the vessels at some distance of each other, while not restricting their movements.

KAS.W1
An ancient sage said: "Give me the right socket, and with winch I'll pull Kerbin". This winch is not that strong, but it can pull or lift up a rather bulky vessel. Just don't forget to attach a compatible socket on the target vessel. And make sure there is enough power on the vessel: the winch is hungry for electricity!

KAS.W2
A heavy duty version of the W-50 winch model. It has more cable and makes a stronger connection. However, it still cannot pull Kerbin.

KAS.JS1
This multi-purpose connection socket solves a range of the problems: it allows a durable connection and, at the same time, can be a gateway for the resource transfers! To install this socket on the vessel, one need to be a certified engineer with a multi-year experience. Once attached even a janitor can use it to connect the vessels.

Descriptions sound fine to me. I've been using a combo of KIS and KAS and was able to build a team of vehicles to load water-going vessels onto essentially trailers, and successfully launched my first boat with it yesterday. Very well done, looking forward to this release!

There are a couple awkward phrases and other fixes needed for those descriptions. Here is my suggested set of revisions. I've also added an extra splash of humor to to one of the winch descriptions. Which winch? Well, you'll see!

Spoiler

KAS.PCB1
It's a simple manually-operated winch with a small spool of steel cable, which lets you connect things as long as they are not too far away. There must be a hook on the other vessel on which to attach the cable, however, so this winch only solves half the problem.

KAS.CH1
A hook that a cable can clip onto. It's the other half of the "keep-these-things-together" solution.

KAS.RTS1
This pipe allows for the transfer of resources between vessels. The diameter is not that impressive, but as a small green fellow once said, "Size matters not." Our patented technology allows the transfer of any number of things through it, including, but not limited to: rocks, fuel, snacks, and even kerbals. Warranty void in the latter case.

KAS.TB60
A simple solution for towing a vessel that cannot move by itself. If a simple rope were to be used, then the vessel under tow would likely impact the towing craft when braking or maneuvering, but with the towbar this is not the case. Moreover, it can assist in steering the towed vessel, if applicable. Be sure to keep the batteries fresh, else the active steering won't work.

KAS.TJ1
This simple telescoping strut can rigidly connect two vessels. The maximum connection distance is fairly short, but its strength is adequate. The design was inspired by a selfie stick Jeb bought at a thrift store.

KAS.TJ2
It's the same TJ-1 "Selfie Stick", except the hinges are unlocked. Truly the best solution to keep connected vessels separated from each other, yet not overly restricting their movements.

KAS.W1
An ancient sage once said: "Give me the right socket, and with a winch I'll pull Kerbin". This winch is not quite that strong, though it can lift up or tow a rather bulky vessel. Remember to attach a compatible socket on the target craft. Also, make sure there is enough power on the active vessel: the winch is hungry for electricity!

KAS.W2
A heavy duty version of the W-50 winch model. It has extra cable and features improved connection strength. However, it still cannot pull Kerbin. Note: warranty void if winches are used to winch witches, and it doesn't matter which winch or which witch.

KAS.JS1
This multi-purpose socket has a variety of features: it allows a firm connection and provides for the transfer of resources! A certified engineer with multiple years of experience is required to install this socket, but once attached, even a janitor can use it to connect vessels.

5 hours ago, Supercheese said:

I've also added an extra splash of humor to to one of the winch descriptions.

The "winch witches" thing seems a little weird, since KSP has nothing to do with witches.  But I like the "small green fellow" reference that you also added.  :)

20 hours ago, IgorZ said:

It seems there is some active behavior on these part that stops KAS from detecting them properly (however, I;m using the stock methods for that). Do you mind making a really simple setup on the launch pad to reproduce the case?

I made a simple setup and it it detected both the USI tanks and the Modular Fuel ones.  I'm going to move that part around my base and see if I can figure out what part is breaking it.

uc?export=view&id=1AM9VPPhCGdXatWxV3P2Pb

7 hours ago, Supercheese said:

There are a couple awkward phrases and other fixes needed for those descriptions. Here is my suggested set of revisions. I've also added an extra splash of humor to to one of the winch descriptions. Which winch? Well, you'll see!

Thanks! I like the new version. Into release will go it...

2 hours ago, Critter79606 said:

I made a simple setup and it it detected both the USI tanks and the Modular Fuel ones.  I'm going to move that part around my base and see if I can figure out what part is breaking it.

Thanks for working on it. USI is a very popular mod, it would be sad to have conflicts with it. If you manage top reproduce the situation, please send me a save file.

On 6/26/2018 at 10:48 PM, IgorZ said:

Thanks for working on it. USI is a very popular mod, it would be sad to have conflicts with it. If you manage top reproduce the situation, please send me a save file.

Will do.  It will probably be this weekend at the earliest.  Some RL issues came up this week.