Jump to content

[1.4+] BETA: Kerbal Attachment System (KAS) v1.0 Release Candidate 1


Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, Critter79606 said:

@IgorZ Would it be possible to add the same Docked/Undocked mode to the winch that your other new parts have?  I use it to move things around, and want it to lock in place, but not to actually dock with the craft unless I switch modes.

Thanks.

You mean, you want to have the parts undocked even though the cable length is zero and the cable connector is locked to the winch?

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, IgorZ said:

You mean, you want to have the parts undocked even though the cable length is zero and the cable connector is locked to the winch?

Correct.  I'm using the Ground Construction's Mobile Workshop (rover), to place the DIY kits where the base component is going to be built and attached to my base.

uc?export=view&id=1ylp0QAHqVQgg7-w2Nt7Ro It's a HUGE rover (that's a Malamute rover in the background), but it's capable of moving the extremely heavy DIY kits when paired with your winch.

The issue I"m having is that when I go to lower the kit into place, it undocks, switches to the kit, and I have to flip back to the rover, as KSP has unlocked the brakes, and it started rolling, normally into a heat or solar panel, breaking it.  Now it's not where I want to place it and I have to start moving the rover with the DIY kit swinging around and spinning.  Having the option to keep it undocked would keep me in control of the rover eliminating this issue.  I understand that this is an issue with the core game, but it doesn't hurt to ask.  

Oh yea, I figured out what was causing the Hose connector not to pickup the resources on my base.  I'm using trusses to connect my base components together (TalisarParts).  If the RTS-1 is located on a truss it doesn't pickup all the resources (LF/OX, there may be others).  If it is on pretty much any other part, it works fine.

uc?export=view&id=1qL6kpmmrOiOzLIICdNR6h

Left RTS-1 doesn't pick up all resources, right one can transfer resources from any other part on my base.

Don't know why, but I'll just attach it elsewhere.  My guess is there is some property on the truss that is preventing it.

I did want to let you know what I found, in case someone else has this issue.

 

Update:  It looks like it's more than just trusses.  It also does't work on my centrifuge or nuke storage, but it definitely looks like it has something to do with it's parent part.  

Edited by Critter79606
Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Critter79606 said:

and I have to flip back to the rover, as KSP has unlocked the brakes, and it started rolling

QuickBrake (part of Malah's Quick Mods) might help to avoid that problem without needing changes in KAS.  I'm not sure if it triggers on an undock, though.

(The QuickBrake description says it sets the brakes "at launch", but it's not limited to the launchpad.  I've found it helpful when assembling a USI Akita rover from parts using KIS, so the newly-created rover doesn't roll away when I attach the wheels.)

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/30/2018 at 7:48 AM, Critter79606 said:

The issue I"m having is that when I go to lower the kit into place, it undocks, switches to the kit, and I have to flip back to the rover

This is not right. Unless the current vessel is a kerbal, the focus on undock must be the vessel, that owns the winch. Is that the case? I'd love to have a simplified setup on the launchpad to test.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, IgorZ said:

This is not right. Unless the current vessel is a kerbal, the focus on undock must be the vessel, that owns the winch. Is that the case? I'd love to have a simplified setup on the launchpad to test.

I'll create a stock only test craft tonight and replicate the issue.  The quick brake works most of the time, but I still get times I've got to flip through a dozen things to reset my brakes and reposition my rover.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@IgorZ I built a stock craft, and tried my normal mobile workshop, and I can't get either to do what I'm seeing on the Mun, so I have no idea what is going on.  It is acting exactly the way it should be when I try it on the runway with both rovers.  Very weird.  Maybe it's another mod's part I have on my base on the mun that is doing it.

Anyway thanks for the help!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Beta 11 is here! This is the last beta build. The next one will be a release candidate, and then we'll go live. The difference between beta and release candidate is the compatibility with the old KAS. The release candidate will not allow any other version of KAS to exist in the game, it will completely substitute both the Beta and the legacy version.

Beta11 is a good candidate to make the localization. So if you can speak any language other than English and Russian, feel free to make the transition (don't forget to use the localization tool, it will save a lot of efforts). Ping @iceolator88, @yrou, @CRL42, @taniwha

Beta 11 (July 9th, 2018):

  • [Fix] The parts, preattached to a winch in VAB, don't dock when the vessel goes in flight.
  • [Fix] GUI crashes if RTS and winch remote dialogs are opened simultaneously,
  • [Fix] TB-60 doesn't lock.
  • [Fix] Joint limit angles in TJ-2 and TB-60 are wrong: they remember the attach position instead of the "neutral" one.
  • [Fix #220] KAS-1.0b10: Wrong max length on W-1.
  • [Change] Rename W-1 winch to W-50.
  • [Change] Use the 64-bit profile. The 32-bit game mode is no more supported!
  • [Change] Setup breaking force for all the links.
  • [Enhancement] Prevent KAS parts detaching from the vessel when the joint between the link source and the link target is broken.
  • [Enhancement] Add HW-80 part.
  • [Enhancement] All textures changed to make a distinguished look for the KAS 1.0 parts (even though many of them use the same models).
  • [Enhancement] Huge texture optimizations for better quality, smaller sizes (when possible) and better loading speed.
  • [Enhancement] Fully support localization in all the parts.
  • [Enhancement] Make fun part descriptions.
  • [Enhancement] Show the energy consumption and motor speed in the winch part info.
  • [Enhancement] Load winch remote activation key from settings.
  • [Enhancement] Add RU localization.
Edited by IgorZ
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/10/2018 at 12:02 AM, IgorZ said:

Beta 11 is here! This is the last beta build. The next one will be a release candidate, and then we'll go live. The difference between beta and release candidate is the compatibility with the old KAS. The release candidate will not allow any other version of KAS to exist in the game, it will completely substitute both the Beta and the legacy version.

@IgorZ Quick question when you have a minute... How will this affect other mods that use KIS/KAS such as Kerbal Planetary Base Systems that use the right click link option?  This mod creates a kerbal sized tube between base components using the old version.

Thanks!

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Critter79606 said:

@IgorZ Quick question when you have a minute... How will this affect other mods that use KIS/KAS such as Kerbal Planetary Base Systems that use the right click link option?  This mod creates a kerbal sized tube between base components using the old version.

Thanks!

The 1.0 release will have the legacy parts, so the other mods should continue to work. However, at some point the legacy part will go away. That said, the other mods need to either migrate, or they will require users to do a separate install of the legacy version.

3 hours ago, Agustin said:

I just would love to see this working in 1.3.1 because the old versions seem not to be compatible with carrier games it says. And I still have to play in 1.3.1 for RSS/RO.

KAS 1.0 will unlikely work with 1.3.*. I never tested it with this version, though.

Link to post
Share on other sites

So, if I'm reading the first post right, the release is going to bring back the magnet attachment, yes? I hadn't gotten around to using it, and just went looking for it in the part configs and couldn't find it. Is there a problem with it, or it needs testing?

Link to post
Share on other sites

@IgorZ  I have a contraption that I move base parts around that I create with EL or GC and attach them to my existing base.  It's an A-Frame thing with a winch at each end and one in the middle to lift large base components off the ground.  I was wondering how hard it would be to add a button to your interface to link two or more winches so you could control them with just one of the controls (aka they would lift and stop together, at the same speed).  I guess this would be a feature request, but I was wondering if anyone else would see a benefit to this.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Critter79606 said:

@IgorZ  I have a contraption that I move base parts around that I create with EL or GC and attach them to my existing base.  It's an A-Frame thing with a winch at each end and one in the middle to lift large base components off the ground.  I was wondering how hard it would be to add a button to your interface to link two or more winches so you could control them with just one of the controls (aka they would lift and stop together, at the same speed).  I guess this would be a feature request, but I was wondering if anyone else would see a benefit to this.

 

This would also help with heavy retrieval of rovers and subs where you habe several winches attacjed to a long liftingbeam with a claw or dockingport on it.

 

Or just a tweaked winch with 1km wire to simulate the teather.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Critter79606 said:

I was wondering how hard it would be to add a button to your interface to link two or more winches so you could control them with just one of the controls (aka they would lift and stop together, at the same speed).

I was thinking about it when making the UI, but eventually assumed it would not be very useful. Now, when you've asked, and @mrstoned replied with +1, I will consider it as a feature.

On 7/14/2018 at 8:38 PM, fitemesquirrel said:

So, if I'm reading the first post right, the release is going to bring back the magnet attachment, yes? I hadn't gotten around to using it, and just went looking for it in the part configs and couldn't find it. Is there a problem with it, or it needs testing?

The initial release will not have it, but you'll be able to use the legacy parts. Eventually, the harpoon/magnet parts will be implemented in the release. Then the legacy parts will be completely deprecated.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, IgorZ said:

I was thinking about it when making the UI, but eventually assumed it would not be very useful. Now, when you've asked, and @mrstoned replied with +1, I will consider it as a feature.

That's awesome!  I just didn't want to add a request to github if I was the only one who used it this way.

Let me know when it comes time to do testing.  I'll be glad to lend a hand.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm trying to integrate a crane in my vessel so I can deploy cargo without external help. However, I have 2 problems:

  • It's an unmanned vessel, so I have to use the grappling hook from KAS 0.6. Will the 1.0 release contain hooks? Are there alternatives for an unmanned vessel?
  • The hook doesn't attach to my cargo as long as the cargo is not decoupled. Will this change in 1.0?
  • So I decouple first, but even with 0 ejecton force, the cargo moves, and almost always destroys something

I'm not sure if that can be fixed in the mod, or if there is something I could do differently

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, infinite_monkey said:

It's an unmanned vessel, so I have to use the grappling hook from KAS 0.6. Will the 1.0 release contain hooks? Are there alternatives for an unmanned vessel?

Some future version of KAS 1.0 will have a hook. I won't promise it to behave exactly as in the old KAS, though. The whole concept of the hooks/graples/harpoons needs revisiting to make them more realistic and physical. So expect the changes. For the unmanned crafts I'd recommend using the magnet - this part will likely be able to operate without an EVA kerbal.

5 hours ago, infinite_monkey said:

The hook doesn't attach to my cargo as long as the cargo is not decoupled. Will this change in 1.0?

So I decouple first, but even with 0 ejecton force, the cargo moves, and almost always destroys something

KAS 1.0 Beta doesn't have any hooks, and the old hooks are not affected by the beta in any way. That said,  if you have any troubles with them, that's an issue of the old KAS.

Link to post
Share on other sites

transfering resources with the RTS in undocked mode works great and seems to properly obey any crossfeed restrictions, however in docked mode it just doesn't seem to work unless I entirely disable the crossfeed rules in the settings

see this simple test

I also tried to add the LH2/OX fuel mix to the RTS GUI (for the CryoEngines mod).  I hoped it would be as easy as adding a new fuelMixture to the settings file under the existing one like this

Spoiler

RTS
    {
        ignoreResource = SolidFuel
        fuelMixture
        {
            component
            {
                name = LiquidFuel
                ratio = 0.9
            }
            component
            {
                name = Oxidizer
                ratio = 1.1
            }
        }
        fuelMixture
        {
            component
            {
                name = LqdHydrogen
                ratio = 4.995
            }
            component
            {
                name = Oxidizer
                ratio = 0.333
            }
        }   
}

but this gives me an exception :(

Spoiler

[EXC 15:01:10.847] OverflowException: Number overflow.
        System.Linq.Enumerable.<Sum>m__3E (Int32 a, Int32 b)
        System.Linq.Enumerable.Sum[Int32,Int32] (IEnumerable`1 source, System.Func`3 selector)
        System.Linq.Enumerable.Sum (IEnumerable`1 source)
        KAS.KASLinkResourceConnector+ResourceTransferOption.GetHashCode ()
        KAS.KASLinkResourceConnector.<MaybeUpdateResourceOptionList>b__45 (KAS.ResourceTransferOption resource)
        System.Linq.Enumerable+<CreateSelectIterator>c__Iterator10`2[KAS.KASLinkResourceConnector+ResourceTransferOption,KAS.KASLinkResourceConnector+ResourceTransferOption].MoveNext ()
        System.Collections.Generic.List`1[KAS.KASLinkResourceConnector+ResourceTransferOption].AddEnumerable (IEnumerable`1 enumerable)
        System.Collections.Generic.List`1[KAS.KASLinkResourceConnector+ResourceTransferOption]..ctor (IEnumerable`1 collection)
        System.Linq.Enumerable.ToArray[ResourceTransferOption] (IEnumerable`1 source)
        KAS.KASLinkResourceConnector.MaybeUpdateResourceOptionList ()
        KAS.KASLinkResourceConnector.OpenGUIEvent ()
        BaseEvent.Invoke ()
        UIPartActionButton.OnClick ()
        UnityEngine.Events.InvokableCall.Invoke ()
        UnityEngine.Events.UnityEvent.Invoke ()
        UnityEngine.UI.Button.Press ()
        UnityEngine.UI.Button.OnPointerClick (UnityEngine.EventSystems.PointerEventData eventData)
        UnityEngine.EventSystems.ExecuteEvents.Execute (IPointerClickHandler handler, UnityEngine.EventSystems.BaseEventData eventData)
        UnityEngine.EventSystems.ExecuteEvents.Execute[IPointerClickHandler] (UnityEngine.GameObject target, UnityEngine.EventSystems.BaseEventData eventData, UnityEngine.EventSystems.EventFunction`1 functor)
        UnityEngine.EventSystems.EventSystem:Update()

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, immi said:

transfering resources with the RTS in undocked mode works great and seems to properly obey any crossfeed restrictions, however in docked mode it just doesn't seem to work unless I entirely disable the crossfeed rules in the settings

In the docked mode the RTS function completely disables. When the parts are docked, the stock game fuel transfer is working. Maybe I need to add a special message instead of simply closing the dialog.

I've created a bug for the other issue.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/23/2018 at 4:58 AM, IgorZ said:

Some future version of KAS 1.0 will have a hook. I won't promise it to behave exactly as in the old KAS, though. The whole concept of the hooks/graples/harpoons needs revisiting to make them more realistic and physical. So expect the changes. For the unmanned crafts I'd recommend using the magnet - this part will likely be able to operate without an EVA kerbal.

KAS 1.0 Beta doesn't have any hooks, and the old hooks are not affected by the beta in any way. That said,  if you have any troubles with them, that's an issue of the old KAS.

Well, Magnets are even worse, my Duna modules from MKS just fall off of it when the winch is fully retracted. On a previous version, the magnet slipped along the surface of the cargo.

So for now, I think the grappling hook from KAS 0.6 is the best solution.

But I have a new problem with that: as long as my cargo is not detached from my ship, it is part of my ship. And KAS (at least in version 0.6) ignored parts of its own ship, so my hook went straight through it until it touched the ground - so I needed to detach first. When attaching a hook from KAS 0.6 to a W-50 winch from KAS 1.0, on my first try it just fell off - although the changelog from Beta 11 says [Fix] The parts, preattached to a winch in VAB, don't dock when the vessel goes in flight. So I attached a JS-1to the WS-50, and the old HG-02 hook to the JS-1. I was happy to see the grappling hook attached to my cargo just fine. But then I noticed that the hook is uncontrollable, and is referenced to as "debris" by KSP. So again it is not docked to the JS-1.

Oh, and I noticed the KAS icon in the VAB/SPH is blurry.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, infinite_monkey said:

But then I noticed that the hook is uncontrollable, and is referenced to as "debris" by KSP. So again it is not docked to the JS-1.

When you extend the cable, everything attached to the cable connector will undock from the main vessel. The name of the new vessel is auto assigned by the game, and it's "debris". However, I don't see why would the hook detach from JS-1. In my tests it works as expected, and the hook stays attached to JS-1. Could you please make a short video?

8 hours ago, infinite_monkey said:

Oh, and I noticed the KAS icon in the VAB/SPH is blurry.

Could you please make a screenshot?

Edited by IgorZ
Link to post
Share on other sites

>>> IMPORTANT! <<<

This version cannot work together with any KAS beta or legacy versions! If you have any of the beta versions installed, then it must be removed prior to installing this one. The same applies to any of the legacy KAS versions.

This release candidate is expected to be fully compatible with the save games of the latest versions of both the Beta KAS (1.0.*) and the legacy KAS (0.6.*). If you your save file doesn't load or doesn't work as expected, please, let me know ASAP. The goal of this release is to allow the players to upgrade to the new parts completely seamlessly.

The Wiki is also updated.

RC1 (July 27th, 2018):

  • [Fix #229] Exception when adding another fuel mixture.
  • [Change] Show the RTS transfer dialog even if the vessels are docked. Present a message that explains why the controls are not available.
  • [Change] Show the fuel mixture percents with a better precision - up to two digits after the dot.
  • [Enhancement] Add Itialian localziation.
  • [Enhancement] Release KAS API v1.
  • [Enhancement] Integrate support of the legacy KAS.
Edited by IgorZ
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, IgorZ said:

When you extend the cable, everything attached to the cable connector will undock from the main vessel. The name of the new vessel is auto assigned by the game, and it's "debris". However, I don't see why would the hook detach from JS-1. In my tests it works as expected, and the hook stays attached to JS-1. Could you please make a short video?

Sorry if I wasn't clear: The hook does stay attached to JS-1, it falls off the W-50 - in KAS 0.6, I can attach it directly to the winch, without a port connector in between.

But how would I control the hook, since it is its own vessel without a command pod and any EC?

Also, was it on purpose that there is no "Eject" for the winch anymore?

9 hours ago, IgorZ said:

Could you please make a screenshot?

I just noticed that the icons for KAS 0.6 EVA items and KIS containers are blurry as well

uKzjacf.png

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...