Loving 1.2 so far. A bit crashy though.

cephalo

1.2 is the best update for a long time. I'm still early career but everything works for smoothly, and I love how the orbit paths aren't jittering everywhere when I'm doing a rendezvous. I also love how my landing doesn't explode on take off at 60 ms.

It crashes quite a bit, but I'm sure that will be fixed.

Edited by cephalo

2 minutes ago, RX2000 said:

I've been playing since the first prerelease, & I've had 0 crashes with 1.2. Even now after the release, when I'm running several mods, I've still never had any crashes at all. Seems rock solid to me.

Same, way too many hours in both 1.2 prerelease and release.

Not many but experimental or unsupported mods and not a single crash.

In the pre-release I encountered some crashes-to-desktop after launching but before reaching orbit.(usually just after expanding solar/heat panels shortly after topping 70km)

I thought it had to do with un-focusing KSP during the launch(clicking on a browser window usually), but after reading about some issues others encountered, I suspect it is more related to the aerodynamics overlay.

(I had one vessel that caused a CTD 3 times the first 3 times I launched it, then I launched it without hitting F12 and it worked just fine)

I don't think I verified if it was still present in the last pre-release build, so it may have been fixed(I launched in 1.2 with F12 on and it went just fine, but it was also an intermittent issue so that does not prove anything).

If you like to turn on aerodynamics during launch like I do and KSP crashes, try re-launching the ship without the aerodynamics overlay and see if that helps.

I hope the issue got fixed, as this is the only CTD issue I have had since 1.1.0 or earlier, but in the pre-release this issue gave me more than a dozen crashes to desktop.  (note: the bug I reported was still listed as new last time I checked, but that does not mean much as I think there is at least one other bug reported with the same root cause)

I've had only one crash in about 12 hours of gameplay, which is way better than the previous release. There are still annoying little bugs though, like not being able to switch back to the flight view from the map by clicking on its icon. And I do wish they had re-worked the logic of career mode a little. The game still starts off really hard and then gets easier and easier, which has the wrong end pointing towards space if you ask me.

I've not had a single game crash in 1.2 (full release, had a couple in pre).  It's a real problem, game crashes used to be when I'd go and make tea, but 1.2's stability has left me devoid of beverage. 

I have noticed that some bad in flight stuttering starts happening if you do a lot of switching back and forth from flight to editor (as I do a lot during testing).  But at least it's not a perma-stutter and a restart of the game seems to clear it up. 

In about the 20 missions I've run in 1.2 so far, the game froze on me once, during liftoff.  That is it so far, and running on an older Mac AirBook which is quite sub-optimal specs-wise. We'll see what happens when my career progresses to the point of larger part counts, but that is for the future to decide...

Durring hours of play with the pre-release and now with the final release of 1.2 i have had zero crashes other then when i installed firespitter (1.2 does not like tweakable engines). Other than that the release is probably the most stable yet. 

5 hours ago, Terwin said:

I thought it had to do with un-focusing KSP during the launch(clicking on a browser window usually), but after reading about some issues others encountered, I suspect it is more related to the aerodynamics overlay.

I had crashes on my Linux box about every 15 to 30 minutes. It was getting pretty tiresome and I'd given up playing until an update. I read this and turned off F12 (and I don't ever use it in the first place) and no crashes in the 2 hours since!

I'm using the latest Debian Testing drivers for my nvidia card, and this release (as of the first of the month) has Vulkan support, so I'm guessing that might be a wee bit buggy.

6 hours ago, DustInTheWind said:

Hmm, I'm getting about one crash every two hours. Maybe Steam is launching the 32-bit exe by default...

During pre-release, we saw a few Steam users having various issues that turned out to be due to Steam not updating one or two files correctly, as new patch updates were released. I'd suggest using Steam to uninstall KSP, followed by deleting Steam's KSP folder (it doesn't actually get rid of everything). After that, do a clean Steam install, and see if that improves things for you.

Edited by JAFO

Ugh, went to play after work and I have a corrupt save! That's not good. I may have lost a few hours over that one.

Now that I think about it, many of my crashes have to do with saving the game... I think.

Edited by cephalo

Rather than crashes, how many Krakens have ya'll run into? I haven't started a new career yet because I'm waiting for KCT to officially update, but I'm a tad worried after seeing this reddit post since the main thing I was looking forward to in 1.2 was more stable large station construction. I had "station death wobbles" all over my last game before I was forced to use KIS/KAS to weld it in space rather than use docking ports.

Long-time player, first-time poster here. Just wanted to chime in ith my 1.2 experience.

I've had issues with losing contracts (active and old ones) when adding mods to an ongoing career game, something I've not encountered pre-1.2 though doing it many times. Not sure what that is about, but it is annoying having ten tourists sitting around my space center, five of which are for contracts which the game no longer acknowledgtes that I ever accepted.

Apart from that, only one or two crashes, but my game is fairly well modded (non-parts mods only), so I won't blame that on the devs.

A really good release, in my opinion.

Really? Even in the very early prerelease 1.2 has been the absolute most stable release ever, I have had a grand total of zero crashes thus far.

1.2 is what 1.0 should have been.

8 hours ago, Suedocode said:

Rather than crashes, how many Krakens have ya'll run into? I haven't started a new career yet because I'm waiting for KCT to officially update, but I'm a tad worried after seeing this reddit post since the main thing I was looking forward to in 1.2 was more stable large station construction. I had "station death wobbles" all over my last game before I was forced to use KIS/KAS to weld it in space rather than use docking ports.

If you have problems with wibbling  get KJR, I'm pretty sure it's out for 1.2.

11 hours ago, Draco T stand-up guy said:

Steam should be giving you a choice of launching either a default version (32 bit) or the 64 bit version. If you have a 64 bit OS then choose the 64 bit version.

I can open it in 64 bit via the right-click method from my library. The desktop shortcut opens in 32 bit version even after deleting and recreating the shortcut. I went about five hours without a crash last night, so it looks like the issue is running 32 bit on a 64 bit OS. I'll just have to forgo the shortcut from now on. 

Oddly, the game is much more stable, but a bit laggy for me in 64 bit.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.