16 minutes ago, Vanamonde said:

Yes, Squad figured animals getting hurt would be depressing, so the mystery goo was introduced instead. It substitutes for animal testing. 

oh glob that's horrible! I always thought that mystery goo was a combination of kerbal ear wax, left over snacks, and rocket fuel, I had no idea that it was made of puppers.. :0.0:

knowing this I will never send another goo into space transmit for half science again! 

I guess now we know why the goo is so excited to go to the beach! :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Vanamonde said:

Yes, Squad figured animals getting hurt would be depressing, so the mystery goo was introduced instead. It substitutes for animal testing. 

With everything people do to the Kerbals for a laugh?   :rolleyes:

8 hours ago, Vanamonde said:

Oh I see. That's why the goo appears to be sentient. Somehow I now imagine goo to be a little visceroid-like creature (like the blobby ones from Tiberian Sun that look like a moving puddle of mercury) related to Kerbals in a similar way that Squigs are to Orcs/Orks in Warhammer.

On the topic of experimenting on living beings though, we should have Kerbal-centric science on stations. Kinda like the materials bay but with Kerbals bouncing around a Hitchiker or a special centrifugal habitat or something. As it is Kerbals just kinda go into space with dubious training and no life support and nobody knows how they manage it. It's be cool to get some (official) science defs about Kerbal biology.

Edited by Guest

12 minutes ago, String Witch said:

Oh I see. That's why the goo appears to be sentient. Somehow I now imagine goo to be a little green visceroid-like creature (like the blobby ones from Tiberian Sun that look like a moving puddle of mercury) related to Kerbals in a similar way that Squigs are to Orcs/Orks in Warhammer.

Early trailers actually show it as a kind of goo octopus thingy soaked in toxic waste, or something.

EDIT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tu9eoD1ot0A

Edited by Streetwind

2 hours ago, Red Iron Crown said:

The kerbal knows the risks and chooses to go anyway, they're all volunteers.

Kerbals have no free will.

They are randomly placed on a list, arbitrarily selected to a second list, and after that, they do only what they are explicitly told to do, no more or less.

I just don't see why people who have no qualms about doing all sorts of wild, crazy, immoral acts with one artificial construct for amusement have some sort of problem with doing the same to a different kind of artificial construct.

2 minutes ago, razark said:

I just don't see why people who have no qualms about doing all sorts of wild, crazy, immoral acts with one artificial construct for amusement have some sort of problem with doing the same to a different kind of artificial construct.

It's almost like they invest those artificial constructs with properties of their real life equivalents. The entire point of a computer game is to imagine that those artificial constructs are not artificial, and this idea is backed up by standards regulations and laws. Certain arrangements of pixels are amusing and harmless, others will get you sent to jail. 

Like it or not, a lot of people invest their kerbals with an utter disregard for danger and self preservation. I doubt they would do so for animals.

46 minutes ago, razark said:

Well, Kerbals aren't real in any fashion. We know they aren't real. But having a dog in the game, those are real. Many players own dogs. So they'd be a lot less comfortable incinerating or exploding or mangling or Kraken-ing them.

Just now, Choctofliatrio2.0 said:

Well, Kerbals aren't real in any fashion. We know they aren't real. But having a dog in the game, those are real. Many players own dogs. So they'd be a lot less comfortable incinerating or exploding or mangling or Kraken-ing them.

So don't put in a dog, but instead put in a fictional animal.

Space programs have a long history of using animal testing.  It fits the game.

Why not have the animal be weird space ocean lifeforms like that squid. People eat sea lifeforms and would look at it more like dinner and cute. Calamari?! And it would fit the kraken and alien ocean theme as it is the only place we can't explore as easily(or used to not at all) and don't know there are not lifeforms formally like the green vegetable and rock littered terrain of Kerbin. That and maybe worms and underground things that don't look fuzzy. It's only the fuzzy creatures they care about(AKA Mammals). This is why whales and porpoises are protected and not squid! 8D

You could even say that every life form that is burned up in the atmosphere is caught on the ground and eaten. Then the lifeforms could be interesting international foods like squid or insects or spiders etc. Things people aren't bothered by as much but could learn about interesting foods from. You could also make all such items always have the cockpit with them in it survive explosions and have graphics showing them alive or being cooked like an oven during reentry(depending on what is appropriate to the circumstance) and turned magically into foods(unless not heated maybe... Although not all foods are fried. some are boiled etc.Think boiling lakes. then fired and boiled for special dishes.). Then have a hover over thing that gives info about or alluding to the food. They could always be collectible for science or other points. Albiet it really small amounts. There could even be a few mission based on it to be silly. And if a kerbal manually collects it he is shown eating the food and looking around like he shouldn't(Like he's sneaking a snack). Just to be humerous! 8)

Fried spider anyone?! 8d

Edited by Arugela

I remember watching a movie once (it was with Robert De Niro, I think). It was about a film maker directing a movie and there was that one scene where a guy and a dog died. When they shot the guy, nobody was bothered. When it came to the dog everyone was shocked and the movie was a flop (I think; not many were happy about it that's all I know).

Anyway, adding any kind of animals to the game will result in the same situation. The reception for KSP will probably go down. Most people will simply won't want risking their animals' lives even though they are not real. We have probes and kerbals. That's all we need, really.

E: putting animals in capsules would also make almost no sense since they wouldn't be able to pilot the craft. You would need a probe to control it. You can easily simulate that by emtying the command pod and sending it into space. That's how it's done nowadays. The capsules fly empty before there are any humans put into it. KSP is meant to be this modern/near future space sim. We don't send animals into space anymore (not the big ones at least).

Edited by Veeltch

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.