Science texts should contain science

Using the science instruments tells the player things like it's cold here or that it's dusty here; after seeing a few of these most players would just click it away as irrelevant. I feel that this is a wasted opportunity because KSP is a very educational game and these feedbacks the game gives to the player would be a great place to sneak in some real information. 

What I would do, if it was up to me, is that I would ask relevant organisations if they'd like to grab this opportunity to educate people of our solar system. Of course the KSP solar system isn't just like ours and some of the science instruments are ...interesting, but I'd say, close enough. Nasa has been involved with KSP before, and there are others if they're not interested, such as the Planetary society, in addition to the obvious ones.

This seems like a rather obvious idea but I couldn't find any earlier threads about similar ideas.. is it an already discussed suggestion? 

Yes, I agree. This game could be a great educational tool and yet the potential of it is wasted by the science system we have. Nothing wrong with witty science messages being witty. It's just that graphs and actual scientific data would be fun to do too.

Also think about telescopes and cameras as scientific tools. Those would be great to have.

Edited by Veeltch

Yes, that's a neat idea.  

The report could contain an amusing 'intro' followed by some actual science information relevent to the experiment in game and a 'did you know...' snippet or two that give a real life example or information that's also relevant to the experiment. 

Having real XvsY type experiments resulting in graphs/data would be neat, eg. running a barometer as you descend through an atmosphere and have it plot every 10k meters, or taking the temp at various times of day or latitudes and getting a plot of that. I would guess a good portion of players are science nerds who would love to do "real" science, even if it is in video game form (I know I would).

1 hour ago, Waxing_Kibbous said:

Having real XvsY type experiments resulting in graphs/data would be neat, eg. running a barometer as you descend through an atmosphere and have it plot every 10k meters, or taking the temp at various times of day or latitudes and getting a plot of that. I would guess a good portion of players are science nerds who would love to do "real" science, even if it is in video game form (I know I would).

3 hours ago, kurja said:

Using the science instruments tells the player things like it's cold here or that it's dusty here; after seeing a few of these most players would just click it away as irrelevant. I feel that this is a wasted opportunity because KSP is a very educational game and these feedbacks the game gives to the player would be a great place to sneak in some real information. 

What I would do, if it was up to me, is that I would ask relevant organisations if they'd like to grab this opportunity to educate people of our solar system. Of course the KSP solar system isn't just like ours and some of the science instruments are ...interesting, but I'd say, close enough. Nasa has been involved with KSP before, and there are others if they're not interested, such as the Planetary society, in addition to the obvious ones.

This seems like a rather obvious idea but I couldn't find any earlier threads about similar ideas.. is it an already discussed suggestion? 

This would be amazing!!!

Along with actual temperature reading for the thermometer.

I'm sure there is a modder capable of doing this...

Just now, BT Industries said:

This would be amazing!!!

Along with actual temperature reading for the thermometer.

I'm sure there is a modder capable of doing this...

There is a button in the window for some science parts that show you the current value real time, the barometer and thermometer both do, there may be others...

56 minutes ago, Waxing_Kibbous said:

There is a button in the window for some science parts that show you the current value real time, the barometer and thermometer both do, there may be others...

But does the thermometer change depending on your height, distance from the equator, time of day and what planet you're on???

3 hours ago, BT Industries said:

But does the thermometer change depending on your height, distance from the equator, time of day and what planet you're on???

Yes. Barometer and gravioli detector (at least) work this way too.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.