Do you use mechjeb anymore?

KerbalKid

Do you still use mechjeb?  

311 members have voted

1. 1. Yes or No?

• Yeah
    • Nope
    • Kerbal Engineer!

Engineer worked under the 1.2 beta, newest version of mechjeb under the dev builds works well enough now, the first version had bugs. 
Would not played 1.2pre without engineer, happy to have MJ back even if smartass is less needed. 

Just now, Gamel0rd1 said:

I hate mechjeb it really feels like cheating. KE is much better as it just provides readouts for your crafts. Mechjeb does everything for you from taking off to docking.

Touched mechjeb once, never went back and proud

I Agree i don't even use mechjeb :P

how many people still use it.

yes I'm still on the MJ train. Mostly for the SURF feature in the SmartASS, being able to set specific heading/pitch/roll is very useful. I also prefer the SmartASS interface to the stock heading controls, easier to click in a hurry, plus it can control roll as well as heading.  
The other reason is for it's info readout and easily customizable windows, so I can just have the flight info I want.  I'm sure KER could provide the same, but I find other MJ features (the SmartASS, rover autopilot and way-point following, aero-braking prediction, landing prediction) useful so I'd rather stick with MJ

16 minutes ago, Gamel0rd1 said:

Mechjeb does everything for you from taking off to docking.

MJ has many features and those are only two of them...and two features that I and a lot of MJ users never use.  I don't like the MJ ascent autopilot, I can fly better than it anyway. And docking, aside from landing, that's my favourite thing, so no way I'd ever let an autopilot do either of those for me! But MJ has a great many other useful tools which are not auto-magic. 

Edited by katateochi

20 minutes ago, katateochi said:

I don't like the MJ ascent autopilot, I can fly better than it anyway. And docking, aside from landing, that's my favourite thing, so no way I'd ever let an autopilot do either of those for me! But MJ has a great many other useful tools which are not auto-magic. 

I find manual manoeuvres excessively boring and repetitive so I only do it once or twice to get a feel for the design.

And autopilots aren't automagic, they are a natural part of every spacecraft.

But to each his own  :)

I never used it; it never felt necessary in the slightest. I do rely on NavyFish's mod for docking, but all that does is provide a better UI than stock.

I keep thinking of installing it just for Smart ASS to make ascents smoother, but a lot of that smoothness on manual launches comes from building a good rocket to begin with.

I have never installed MJ, but use KER and I'm waiting for it to update to 1.2 before I try anything too fancy.

I prefer to fly manually, so MJ never appealed to me, but I can see why a lot do use it.  It's unlikely I will use it 'properly' (beyond maybe installing it some day to see how it works), but I'm not going to say never...

I can't honestly answer the posed question, as after thousands of hours logged and after pretty much doing "everything" in the game, I'm only now considering actually using MechJeb.

I don't think I'll end up using it actually, but this is the first time in over 3 years that it's had any attraction for me, in how it can automate boring things that I can do with no problem but just don't feel like doing anymore.

I remember the last time I used MechJeb. After it stopped working because of a new update I had to relearn all of the controls. I literally wasn't able to launch simple rockets or even dock. Now I play with KER as it has all the info I need.

It's always amusing that so many people think if you simply install MechJeb, it just takes over and plays the game for you...  :rolleyes:

Anyway, I find both KER and MJ together to be essential.  There is important information that KER provides which MJ does not (like ground slope angles), and there is important information that MJ provides and KER does not (like RCS ΔV).  My on-screen displays include HUD windows from both systems.

Either on their own are inadequate.

Edited by RoboRay

I use mechjeb, i like the delta-v readouts better. manuever node editing is extremely nice, not to mentino flight computers. Guys rockets have flight computers especially for things like getting to orbit. not saying to use the ascent guidance but at least use the surface SMARTASS for fine tuning pitch and heading. I wouldn't say its cheating at all.

I use MechJeb, and don't enjoy KSP without it. I've played long enough, and piloted enough launches, that I prefer to design the rocket, tweak the variables, and let the system fly the simple stuff like ascent, maneuver nodes, and the final docking alignment stages while I do other things on my monitors. Makes me feel like a Captain, not a helmsman. Also, I find tweaking maneuver nodes for certain intercepts to be awkward as hell with the current GUI, so I prefer MJ on that point too.

For the stuff MJ doesn't quite do well, I can easily take over. I still get a laugh when an experimental rocket design, combined with improper ascent variables, makes for hilarious attempts by MJ's logic to control an uncontrollable craft. Part of the fun there is also figuring out what variables make for an ascent launch that automatically drops the appropriate stage at just the right altitude to deorbit safely for recovery (I believe in a non-deciduous space program).

I do wish the descent logic worked a bit better, but that''s a wish born of convenience, not of criticism - I am infinitely grateful to the people who created and maintain the mod, using their own time and effort, for no reward, so that I may enjoy its use. If I could program anything more complex than a microwave, I'd gladly contribute. 

But that would likely cause any computer running KSP to undergo an unexpected surplus fission event, which I'm told is bad for hard disks as well as anyone within a 15 kilometre radius of ground zero.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.