311 members have voted

1. 1. Yes or No?

• Yeah
    • Nope
    • Kerbal Engineer!

Just now, eddiew said:

Feel free to spend 3 hours faffing around doing it manually

uh... what

In any case, I'm a KER guy but I might switch over the MJ since it seems more consistently updated in a timely fashion. (BTW SQUAD, put the damn KER functions in stock game please). I think there's a lot of value being able to do things manually in terms of both dv calculation (it's just literally arithmetic, folks) and flying

KER give useful info in-flight. You can use the HUDs while manually controlling a burn.

Early manned spaceflight was a lot less automated, but the calculations for a burn were mostly being done by the folk at Mission Control.

Maybe I should just use my slide rule instead.

23 minutes ago, Wolf Baginski said:

Early manned spaceflight was a lot less automated, but the calculations for a burn were mostly being done by the folk at Mission Control.

You got any references for this? From what I've read, Alan Shepherd was disappointed during Freedom 7 (the first manned US flight) because he didnt really get to do much flying at all because it was basically entirely automated......

Edited by RX2000

When I started the game, I did everything by hand as I didn't know about mechjeb. I got quite far without it. Then I discovered it and did some stuff with it, only to find I could do most tasks better on my own. Now I almost never use it. Last time I used it was a month or two ago, using it to keep a plane at cruise altitude over a multi-hour flight so I could do homework instead of babysitting the aircraft.

Edited by EpicSpaceTroll139

I do, for the SmartASS (and, well, ascent guidance) most of the time - my hands are a little bit too shaky, and piloting from a keyboard isn't the best idea there is (maybe if one can use mouse movement for controls, then I could do it). My old computer barely frozes during launch so manual piloting wasn't the best either. But I don't use the docking feature (excessive monoprop usage), mostly just the phasing and rendezvous.

TBH only now I might consider (re)doing them manually (got the modified built-in comm sat to orbit manually to test the 1.2 update, while it was underpowered the probe just made it into orbit), or probably I could look into kOS (as now I'm properly learning coding IRL).

However, trial by fire is a welcomed idea  :wink:

On 2016-10-18 at 1:57 AM, KerbalKid said:
Do you use mechjeb anymore?

No.

But I don't use it any less.  :drumroll:

Seriously:  I'm not using it ATM, but I will probably reintstall it.  I have a long, long rover trip to do at Eve.

Happy landings!

On 20/10/2016 at 8:20 PM, RX2000 said:

You got any references for this? From what I've read, Alan Shepherd was disappointed during Freedom 7 (the first manned US flight) because he didnt really get to do much flying at all because it was basically entirely automated......

The automation was not reliable. John Glenn had a lot of manual flying to do, controlling spacecraft attitude. I had an account from a book immediately in mind, but Wikipedia on Friendship 7 is substantially the same.

John Glenn: America's Astronaut

Freedom 7 was a very short sub-orbital flight; Alan Shephard did do some testing of the manual controls, but the launch was pretty much automatic.

I really do have a slide rule. I am old enough to have had to learn to use one at school. We didn't have electronic calculators...

On October 19, 2016 at 10:39 AM, Just Jim said:

The problem here is some of us, myself included, started playing without MJ or KER, and I still don't use either. I would much rather do it the hard (and IMO, much more fun) way.

I would prefer they didn't make either one stock.

And the way you play is an excellent way to play, takes math skills and patience I personally lack, but that's not the point.

the point is: I think it's safe to say the majority of us are sick of the constant threads of MJ is cheating or ker is superior. When you break it down function for function ker is MJ with out automation. Further making MJ stock ends these threads completely. That's the point. As an example we have sepratrons stock, but you don't have to use them. Making mechjeb stock =\= must use. Just sayin. 

10 minutes ago, Higgs said:

And the way you play is an excellent way to play, takes math skills and patience I personally lack, but that's not the point.

the point is: I think it's safe to say the majority of us are sick of the constant threads of MJ is cheating or ker is superior. When you break it down function for function ker is MJ with out automation. Further making MJ stock ends these threads completely. That's the point. As an example we have sepratrons stock, but you don't have to use them. Making mechjeb stock =\= must use. Just sayin. 

I wrote later on I don't mind it being stock if it has an off/on button. I just don't have a use for it, and don't want my screen cluttered up with the bunch of extra windows that come with it.

I'm sorry I commented at all, and wish I could retract it. 

Edited by Just Jim

You can make custom windows with just the data you need. Cuts clutter way down. Fwiw i typically have 2-3 max open if that many, but we each do what works which is pretty sweet if you ask me :D happy flyin jim

On 10/19/2016 at 1:52 AM, DerekL1963 said:

I'm more of a manager and an engineer than a pilot, so MJ does the piloting for me.  (Not to mention it does it better as I'm off on the low end of the bell curve when it comes to twitch reflexes and eye-hand coordination. )

And yeah, I too am amused by the folks that think MJ "does everything".  MJ doesn't design my mission architecture, flight techniques, or vehicles.  When it successfully docks, it does so because I balanced the RCS (and nobody ever calls RCS Build Aid "cheaty").  When it avoids hitting Ike on my way down to Duna, it's because I was monitoring the trajectory and determined the need for a burn to do so (and nobody calls watching your orbital trajectory in Map mode "cheaty").  When it executes a landing in the Northern Basin biome, it's because I chose the landing site (and nobody calls Kerbalmaps.com "cheaty").

MJ is a tool, no more, no less.  Even with MJ, you can't play a successful serious campaign game without knowing quite a bit more than just which buttons in MJ does what.

RCSBA IS CHEATIGN!!!! BLEARG!!!  MAP MODE IS TEH CHEATS!!!  KERBALMAPS IS ALL OF THE CHEATING!!!

I used to use mechjeb, back when I was still doing a lot of deep space stuff, but now I mostly use planes, and flying is fun.  (Proud to say that KSP caused my flight instructor to be impressed with my simulator skillz, probably shouldn't tell FAA)

Doesn't people get tired of re-starting the "Mechjeb is cheat or not" war every 2 months? XD

I do use it, I know how to perform every manuever but I prefer to do other things while Mechjeb does the 8465th lift-off for me. I enjoy more planning the mission and doing the final steps than doing again and again by hand the circularization burns.

And sorry Pals, there's no "but I'm right and you're not" here, everyone is right at this matter, for themselves only.

Edited by Demon_82

I see the forums have changed, MechJeb topics used to be banned! I will use Mechjeb as soon as it becomes available. it is incredibly useful and a great way to automate repetitive tasks and ensure accuracy. For the time being I am using KER fo rthe telemetry and it is just as great!

And once again, somebody had to bring up using MJ or KER thing, again.  

I use MJ, I use KER, I also fly manually.  It depends on the case.  There are some other programs out there for flying aircraft, and aids for docking, and other things.  Does that mean I should or not use those aids too.  I try to use everything that gives me a chance to relax.  I really don't mind if some automation launches the rocket for me.

I use KER. It provides the data values I need, especially when building the rocket. 
I can't be bothered to figure out how exactly to use the dev build of KER so I'm just waiting for the "official" KER update. 

Although, I've been thinking about using MechJeb for tedious things, automating launch sequences and such. But I'm not entirely sure... again for now I'm just waiting for KER.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.