KerbalKid

Do you still use mechjeb?  

311 members have voted

1. 1. Yes or No?

• Yeah
    • Nope
    • Kerbal Engineer!

16 hours ago, SkyHook said:

I see the forums have changed, MechJeb topics used to be banned! I will use Mechjeb as soon as it becomes available. it is incredibly useful and a great way to automate repetitive tasks and ensure accuracy. For the time being I am using KER fo rthe telemetry and it is just as great!

Flame treads are locked, this is an nice discussion :)

I never used Mechjeb, only tried it 1 or 2 times for fun.

Reason are Mechjeb is a very owerpowered tool that so to speak can fly and do most things automatic.

I just like to fly my self and not just do it automatic.

I use kerbal engineer to calculate Dv but els I do everything my self.

Yes.

I can do the game myself, but having mechjeb do the orbital rendezvouses for things is SO much easier than fiddling with nodes and orbits myself.
My reasoning is that it's a game. It's meant to be enjoyable. If I can automate the fiddly boring bit, why shouldn't I? It's too much like work otherwise, and I get too much of that at work.

KER is just a building and calculation tool to save me estimating things and using trial and error all the time. Again, automating boring fiddly bits that give me a headache.

It's much like playing science mode instead of career; way less grinding. Collecting science just gives me motivation to go out and do stuff, and a reason to be there. Sandbox mode just lacked that motivation.

When i started playing this game i used MJ to automate tedious tasks like moving copies of a given craft (mostly fighter squadrons ect) to a certain location without having to do every single maneuver manually (usually id launch the first one myself with no help, then MJ the rest).  Eventually i switched to hyperedit (which let me move entire fleets fairly quickly), now i just stick to the stock cheat menu teleporter since i rarely if ever used the landing feature of hyperedit, and i couldnt care less for the rest, the 2 things i used was rendezvous and set orbit, both of those can be done stock now.

While i did use MJ extremely early to learn about optimal ascent, it never worked well with my monstrosities (try launching macey dean style carriers or anything else that uses lots of wing panels as its external armor).  If it was a conventional rocket you used the 45 degree BS (which made no sense to me unlike the modern approach to smooth turning angle), and well, i never needed it or became reliant upon it...

i mean, i applaud the developer for its creation, however i will never use it, thats nothing against the mod itself i just like to manually pilot my spacecraft, i barely ever even use the new sas assists, now thats not because i feel like its cheating or anything either, its just i personally prefer to manually pilot my spacecraft

I use it often, sometimes to make up for pilot experience or the utter lack of a pilot. It can be quite helpful, though I have to do a lot of tuning at times to make sure it does things just right. It also has several useful orientations in its Smart SAS thing, such as horizon level (or at least I'm pretty sure), which is great for when I'm trying to manually land a spaceplane and need to not be pointing straight up or down. My only gripes with it might just be because I haven't found the way to do it yet. It can't seem to help me get a spaceplane to take off, as it immediately wants to point the spaceplane straight up. Then again maybe I just need to adjust some things. I also don't know if it can really land a spaceplane. But its auto-landing is pretty good, even if it does fairly often miss the target by a few kilometers at best. It also makes plotting nodes a lot easier when all I have to do is put some numbers in and it'll figure it out for me, or put in a destination and the same thing happens. 

I can't test how I feel about it right now though; I'm waiting for the bug with the UI flicker with too many parts in the VAB/SPH to be fixed.

Every new career save game, I fly a ceremonial mission to the Mun without the use of any autopilot, to prove that I still can.

Then I use MechJeb for every subsequent flight. NASA doesn't fly rockets by hand, why am I supposed to?

4 hours ago, eataTREE said:

Every new career save game, I fly a ceremonial mission to the Mun without the use of any autopilot, to prove that I still can.

Then I use MechJeb for every subsequent flight. NASA doesn't fly rockets by hand, why am I supposed to?

Ha! No they don't. And you shouldn't either.

I learned everything the hard way, manually. Now I use MJ to save time, it's just easier than plotting nodes by hand. I can do it all on my own, I understand the physics and rationale behind it, and now I just want to fly my crafts without all the hassle of clicking and dragging. 

I still launch and dock manually though. It's way too fun not too.

I don't just now.  I have nothing against auto pilot per say and I've used MJ for readouts but actually I just like being in control at the helm, continuing to perfect my piloting skills and very much tend to do just one thing at a time so I don't have a whole lot of simultaneous flights going on.  Ok maybe I'm just a control freak.

To be fair, at least in my build (I mess around with mods so much Im never sure which mod a feature comes from, or even if it is stock or not...) different features of mechjeb area unlocked with various tech nodes, which makes things a little less cheaty as you still have to do lots of manual stuff in early career. By the time you have everything unlocked you are tired of manually pointing retrograde/prograde all the time or finding those tricky intercepts, but at least you had to for a while.

2 hours ago, p1t1o said:

By the time you have everything unlocked you are tired of manually pointing retrograde/prograde all the time

You can easily lock prograde/retrograde in stock with the earliest probe cores or just by leveling up your pilots a little bit.....

Just now, RX2000 said:

You can easily lock prograde/retrograde in stock with the earliest probe cores or just by leveling up your pilots a little bit.....

Ah yes, but for me that is only a recent addition :)

I will as soon as it becomes available again. If my piloting abilities were the best the real space program had to draw upon, there would be no such thing as a circular orbit, only approximations. I have to have absurdly efficient engines to even think about an interplanetary mission, and most landings on airless worlds would end in a brief, mostly fatal impact. :cool:

31 minutes ago, SSgt Baloo said:

I will as soon as it becomes available again. If my piloting abilities were the best the real space program had to draw upon, there would be no such thing as a circular orbit, only approximations. I have to have absurdly efficient engines to even think about an interplanetary mission, and most landings on airless worlds would end in a brief, mostly fatal impact. :cool:

The development version (build 644) works on KSP 1.2 right now. Interplanetary transfer planner doesn't seem to be working perfectly, but that is the only issue I've noticed so far. You can get it here.

27 minutes ago, eataTREE said:

The development version (build 644) works on KSP 1.2 right now. Interplanetary transfer planner doesn't seem to be working perfectly, but that is the only issue I've noticed so far. You can get it here.

I'll wait until it's ready for primetime. I've had difficulty, correctly installing even simple-to-install mods, so I rely on CKAN. Otherwise, I end up uninstalling and reinstalling to fix a borked game. Almost daily. :confused:

1 hour ago, SSgt Baloo said:

I'll wait until it's ready for primetime. I've had difficulty, correctly installing even simple-to-install mods, so I rely on CKAN. Otherwise, I end up uninstalling and reinstalling to fix a borked game. Almost daily. :confused:

You can install the dev version from CKAN.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.