Do you use mechjeb anymore?

KerbalKid

Do you still use mechjeb?  

311 members have voted

1. 1. Yes or No?

• Yeah
    • Nope
    • Kerbal Engineer!

I always use MJ and KER both. KER while building so i can see my TWR, weight and thrust instantly. MJ for ascend and landing, because after 10000 launches and landings its boring to do it myself. Soooooo handy that MJ can do it for me. Also the Dv stats are usefull while launching and landing. And not forget the transfer orbits an change Ap or Pe is unmissable. Can't imagine playing without these two mods.

8 minutes ago, SSgt Baloo said:

It doesn't show in the "compatible" filter. What filter reveals it and how do I recognize the correct one?

Only the dev version is compatible with 1.2 KSP

From OP of MechJeb thread:

If you want the dev version of MechJeb then :
- open CKAN settings (Settings => CKAN Settings)
- press the New button
- select the MechJeb-dev line, click OK and exit the options.
- refresh
- select "Mechjeb2 - DEV RELEASE" in the list and then "Go to Change" to install

1 hour ago, MrGeekArt said:

Only the dev version is compatible with 1.2 KSP

From OP of MechJeb thread:

If you want the dev version of MechJeb then :
- open CKAN settings (Settings => CKAN Settings)
- press the New button
- select the MechJeb-dev line, click OK and exit the options.
- refresh
- select "Mechjeb2 - DEV RELEASE" in the list and then "Go to Change" to install

Thanks!

...Aaand now it's broken my fuel switches. No fuel tanks except for wings. I guess I'll have to wait until the fully-developed version comes out. :(

Edited by SSgt Baloo

After deleting Mechjeb and restarting, the problem remained. Since my troubleshooting skills are sub-par, I just burned KSP to the ground (again) and reinstalled it. At least I know enough to save craft files, in case I made something I'd rather not have to build all over again.

Still funny to see the need of some people to say that they don't "need" mechjeb to play, cranking their e-peen by playing bone stock.

I'm playing since 0.8.5, long before MechJeb was born, and Since it's creation, posts like this one happen about once every six month. Always with the same arguments.

This game is a sandbox, play it like YOU like it.

6 minutes ago, RX2000 said:

Yea I think thats pretty much what everyone has been saying on this thread. :D

I'd say otherwise.  Sandboxes are fun, and are the fashion today, but they aren't the be-all and end-all of gaming.  There is a tyranny of choice.  For instamce, even the most experienced players here have trouble starting new career saves.  There are too many sliders, too many decisions to make.  You know that whatever you do, in a few hours you will be up against some wall/grind wishing that you picked differently.  I would like for the developer to make some of those decisions, but the easy/medium/hard buttons yield the same results, the same inevitable walls.

Mechjeb doesn't necessarily help.  Having Mechjeb installed is having an "easy button" whenever you need it.  That might be great if you actually want it, but when you don't it's too easy.  Installing it but not using it requires yet another little bit of mental discipline.  Sandboxes require the player to enforce their own rules, as deck of cards requires solitaire players to monitor themselves.  Not using MechJeb is like not cheating at solitaire.  Sometimes it's more fun not having the easy choices, computer solitaire over physical cards.

16 hours ago, paul23 said:

I use mechjeb a lot - I could do everything by hand "easily" but after doing the same type of launch/manouvres 100 times it gets a bit boring and I rather do them "automatically".

This. Circularizing by hand means fiddling around with the annoying maneuver tools you have in stock game just to end up with about what you want to have. With MechJeb that's one click. And if you want to fly by yourself or use MJ for that is still up to you.

On October 18, 2016 at 6:22 AM, 5thHorseman said:

I can't honestly answer the posed question, as after thousands of hours logged and after pretty much doing "everything" in the game, I'm only now considering actually using MechJeb.

I don't think I'll end up using it actually, but this is the first time in over 3 years that it's had any attraction for me, in how it can automate boring things that I can do with no problem but just don't feel like doing anymore.

This was your 9000th post! Congrats!

On 11/2/2016 at 0:58 PM, Aladran said:

This game is a sandbox, play it like YOU like it.

Hear, hear!

The people who persist in characterizing the use of mods as "cheating", regardless of circumstances, aren't interested in how you're playing the game, but in establishing dominance over others in the hobby. As far as I am concerned, they are welcome to urinate up a flexible climbing aid because they are already performing the same act upon my cornflakes. I am getting old, and my reflexes don't work with the accuracy they used to*. If not for certain game aids, such as MechJeb, It would be such a difficult task to play that, instead of being therapy for my depression and anxiety, it would be just another source of unnecessary stress.

Unless I'm using proscribed mods to complete a challenge, it isn't "cheating", but having fun.

* Also, my mind wanders. But don't worry, it's weak and can't get very far. :wink:

Edited by SSgt Baloo

For my auto-piloting needs (such as they are; curses be upon remote tech signal delay), I prefer to use... kOS!

I'm fine with autopilots, I would just rather use one I had a hand in making (although I haven't done much with it, and only in RSS).

Oh, and KER for the informational readouts in my modded install.

1 hour ago, 5thHorseman said:

Actually it's not. This one is. The forum doesn't number each post, sadly.

Posts in The Lounge and its subforums don't count, as far as I know. Some people play games a lot, and the forum says they have some 60 posts.

Oh, look, now I can say it. IT'S OVER NINE THOUSAND!

ahem.

I don't use MJ, and haven't for a long time. I did it for pointing my craft in the marker directions way back then (stock for some time), and for ascent (for which I switched it for Gravity Auto Turn, and now just use stock prograde).

Everything else I've always done myself

12 hours ago, monstah said:

Oh, look, now I can say it. IT'S OVER NINE THOUSAND!

Dang it. I was building up to this haha. 

MechJeb is nice to have around, and survives every mod purge for me. But that's on my modded install. I spend 95% of my time in vanilla. The beauty of MJ is it's pretty damned invisible unless you are using it. And those custom windows are great. I think the only time I've used it in-flight was to test the SmartAss feature on an orbital resupply rocket I was making.

Bottom Line:  In most games, and in KSP, I avoid mods religiously until I'm comfortable that I've mastered vanilla. After that, I feel no need to water the experience down with an autopilot. Yet another ascent-to-rendezvous can be boring, unless you take pride in being able to do it. You go from blowing through 100 units of Mono and still didn't dock, to being able to do it with a NERV and a small reaction wheel. That's rewarding. 

for 2k hours I played this game without any mods until i discovered the wonders of mechjeb AND KER. They save so much time planning maneuvers.

I use KER and Mechjeb in conjunction, KER for the Dv readouts and HUDs, Mechjeb for the autopilot, and probably wont play until they are updated (they are the only mods i have that are not officially updated yet)

With the correct applications of patience, diligence one can have any telemetry one wants from mechjecb. Why bother with ker when it cant fly? Why bother with threads like this anyway. Doesnt matter how ANYONE plays. Period

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.