[1.9.x] VOID UnVoided - Vessel Orbital Informational Display

linuxgurugamer

This is the continuation of VOID, now with updated fuel flow calculations

Dependencies

CKAN has been updated to install the dependencies, if needed.

VOID2.png

VOID3.png

If you love at-a-glance information on your flight conditions, detailed information about your orbital dynamics or upcoming transfer maneuver, then VOID is a solution for you! Is it the solution for you? Give it a try and find out!

I've long used VOID to fill the void (doh!) for detailed orbital, surface, and vessel information without adding any new functionality that other mods may focus on. As I find new data that I "need" for my missions, I've been slowly adding information to my own VOID displays and am honored to continue development following Iannic-ann-od's stellar release series. Many thanks Iannic-ann-od!

As before, credit where it's due to code and/or calculations by cybutek, Younata, Adammada, Nivvydaskrl, mrenigma0, r4m0n, The_Duck, Cilph, and Innsewerants, used with permission and/or under license.

This software uses VesselSimulator and Engineer.Extensions from Engineer Redux.

Engineer Redux © 2013-2014 cybutek, Padishar, et al

Used by permission.

DOWNLOADS:

Available in CKAN

GitHub:  https://github.com/linuxgurugamer/VOID/releases/

Spacedock: https://spacedock.info/mod/1413/VOID unVoided

Source Code: https://github.com/linuxgurugamer/VOID/

INSTALL:

1. Unpack archive into /path/to/KSP_folder/GameData.
2. ???
3. Profit!

USAGE:

* Click the VOID icon, hopefully located somewhere near the middle-to-bottom left of your KSP screen.
* Go to the "Misc" menu and "Change icon position" to move the icon to your liking.
* Enable or disable other informational windows as you please!

TODO:

* Revisit transfer angle calculations.
* Revisit pressure indication.
* Revisit localization and find translators <insert trilingual, bilingual, American joke here>.
* Revisit data logging.
* Add HUD customization features.

LICENSE:  

Hide contents

VOID

Copyright © 2014-2016, toadicus, Linuxgurugamer
All rights reserved.

Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without modification,
are permitted provided that the following conditions are met:

1.  Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright notice,
    this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.

2.  Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright notice,
    this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the documentation and/or other
    materials provided with the distribution.

3.  Neither the name of the copyright holder nor the names of its contributors may be used
    to endorse or promote products derived from this software without specific prior written permission.

THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND CONTRIBUTORS "AS IS" AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES,
INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE
DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE COPYRIGHT HOLDER OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL,
SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR
SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY,
WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE
OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

This software uses the ToadicusTools utility library, used under a
Simplified BSD license.

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

This software uses code from Kerbal Engineer Redux, used under a
Creative Commons BY-NC-SA 3.0 Unported license.

This software uses methods derived from MuMechLib © 2013-2014 r4m0n,
sarbian, et al. Used under the General Public License, version 3.

Edited by linuxgurugamer

Yay!  One of the few mods ive used for ages and love.  Although in the last version of KSP i think i started to try to use KER isntead due to one thing i didnt like with void.  I think it was a problem with the text always being on top of things.

Hey, I'm really glad to see you continuing this mod, I've played KSP for 750 hours and VOID is the only mod I've ever use, but now I depend on it.  

Since I've updated to KSP 1.2 'loud and clear' I can't get VOID to work.  The VOID icon doesn't show up anywhere.  Here's what I've tried so far: 

- I've downloaded the zip from your github.  unpacked it directly into the game. 

- I've tried moving the VOID and Toadacious folder directly into KSP/gamedata (instead of it being in KSP/gamedata/gamedata/)

- I've downloaded the source code file and tried putting that in the Gamedata folder, and tried launching with and without VOID and Toadacious in the same folder

- I've tried all of these steps and launching in 32 and 64

This is compatible with KSP 1.2 right?  Any help at all would be appreciated.

1. You don't need the source, I'm not including source with downloads, it's available on Github
  2. You need to move both the VOID and ToadicusTools into the GameData directory.

If it doesn't work, then please do the following:

1. Take a screenshot of the GameData directory
  2. Send me both the screenshot and the output_log.txt file

8 hours ago, KOCOUR said:

FOr those For whom VOID stopped Workingh: 

The reason is u are using Contract Configurator.  VOID and Hooligan Labs Airships do not work when Contract configurator is installed.

Avoid Contract Configurator.

Actually, it's a bug in the toolbar code that used in every mod that uses toolbar.  Contract Configurator merely exposes the bug.  Mods (LOTS of mods -- probably every mod that can use toolbar) need to be updated to include the fixed toolbar code.

See http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/150719-contract-configurator-broke-my-mod/ for more information.

In the meantime, you may need to avoid Contract Configurator until the mods that you use get updated.

@linuxgurugamer: Can I safely assume that CKAN integration is in the future for VOID, as it has been for your other mods and inherited projects? I don't mind manual installs, but if it's just around the corner...?

On a slightly related topic, the sheer number of mods you've been maintaining is staggering, and you have my thanks for keeping them alive. Much love, friend.

3 hours ago, Shadriss said:

@linuxgurugamer: Can I safely assume that CKAN integration is in the future for VOID, as it has been for your other mods and inherited projects? I don't mind manual installs, but if it's just around the corner...?

On a slightly related topic, the sheer number of mods you've been maintaining is staggering, and you have my thanks for keeping them alive. Much love, friend.

Yes.  I'm waiting for feedback, and also waiting for KER to figure out the new fuel flow system (VOID uses that code)

Came to post about void needing to be updated, which I see ya know so that's good. 

Oddly enough tho, going to this thread on Firefox for me crashes it now.  I'm just wondering if anyone else has had problems with this thread with Firefox.  I'm guessing its one of my addons for it that is doing it, lol. Go figure.

On 10/24/2016 at 4:05 AM, KOCOUR said:

FOr those For whom VOID stopped Workingh:

The reason is u are using Contract Configurator.  VOID and Hooligan Labs Airships do not work when Contract configurator is installed.

Avoid Contract Configurator.

The VOID beta was updated to work properly with CC.  I've updatd the OP

Someone ask the Hooligan Labs Airships author to update the toolbar interface code, which is where the bug is

11 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

The VOID beta was updated to work properly with CC.  I've updatd the OP

Someone ask the Hooligan Labs Airships author to update the toolbar interface code, which is where the bug is

Hmm, still doesn't work with CC installed. 

3 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Please verify the version of VOID you have installed.  You should have 1.1.1.

I just realized the version file was wrong, so I'm uploading 1.1.2 right now, please try it.

https://github.com/linuxgurugamer/VOID/releases/tag/1.1.2

Negative, still no joy when CC is installed. Uninstalled CC and it works perfectly. Could be a conflict with CC+VOID+some other mod. I'll do a clean VOID>CC only tomorrow to check. Are there any other known incompatibilities with any other Mods?

4 hours ago, theersink said:

Negative, still no joy when CC is installed. Uninstalled CC and it works perfectly. Could be a conflict with CC+VOID+some other mod. I'll do a clean VOID>CC only tomorrow to check. Are there any other known incompatibilities with any other Mods?

No other problems that I know of.

Ok, I'll do some more testing

Edited by linuxgurugamer

3 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

I've been able to replicate this problem, but haven't yet figured out what is going on

Fixed, for now:  https://github.com/linuxgurugamer/VOID/releases/tag/1.1.3-Beta

This was the same problem that affected the Blizzy Toolbar, but it was not in the toolbar code, it was actually inside VOID itself

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/30/2016 at 5:22 PM, Murdabenne said:

This is sounding suspiciously like you may be approaching a releasable state once KER gets itself sorted out. :cool:

I think I'm going to release this in a day or so, with the caveat that the fuel calcuations won't be correct until KER is finished (it uses the KER code)

It seems there's a little problem with the display of the angular velocity :-)

E7ETH6A.png

In 1.1.3 it showed my engine having a speed of up to 27 rad/s, now it's 2.7 rad/s. Besides, either Squad or VOID has it wrong, 536 deg/s ~  9.3 rad/s not 9.7. I'm using Infernal Robotics for the bearings.

Not really a problem though.

Now the odd thing is, when using a stock helicopter, the values are still off but not ten times as low anymore:

B0A3aEp.png

But at higher speeds the difference becomes significant:

J6Cw8aM.png

If you like I can compare these values running 1.1.3.

2 hours ago, Azimech said:

E7ETH6A.png

In 1.1.3 it showed my engine having a speed of up to 27 rad/s, now it's 2.7 rad/s. Besides, either Squad or VOID has it wrong, 536 deg/s ~  9.3 rad/s not 9.7. I'm using Infernal Robotics for the bearings.

I'll agree on the math, but I'm trying to find on the screen what you are talking about.

Two things I'm trying to find:

You mention 27 rad/s, and then 2.7 rad/s, but I don't see that anywhere on screen

You mention 536 & 9.7.  I found the -536, in the window under Roll, but the only thing that I can find which says anything related to the 9.7 is in the hud to the righ tof the engine, where it says the Ang. Vel is 0.97 rad/s.

I looked into the code, VOID is merely reporting what KSP has.  It reports the anuglarVelocity of the vessel, not a motor.  Now, i realize that depending on how you set things up, the motor may be the vessel, but I would also need a craft file to be able to do any investigations.

Finally, I'm wondering if you tried the KER beta, to see what it's reporting.

Thanks

21 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

I'll agree on the math, but I'm trying to find on the screen what you are talking about.

Two things I'm trying to find:

You mention 27 rad/s, and then 2.7 rad/s, but I don't see that anywhere on screen

True, just to point out the value on screen is ten times too low.

You mention 536 & 9.7.  I found the -536, in the window under Roll, but the only thing that I can find which says anything related to the 9.7 is in the hud to the righ tof the engine, where it says the Ang. Vel is 0.97 rad/s.

Yep, that's the one.

I looked into the code, VOID is merely reporting what KSP has.  It reports the anuglarVelocity of the vessel, not a motor.  Now, i realize that depending on how you set things up, the motor may be the vessel, but I would also need a craft file to be able to do any investigations.

Both and KSP display angular velocity of the root part. In the case of the stock helicopters and turboprops, I switch vessel focus to display turbine shaft speed. In the case of my piston engine, the root part is the first segment of the crankshaft. Since the crankshaft is not a separate part of the rest thanks to the IR library I don't have to change focus. So 'm just puzzles by the fact 1.1.3 shows the value correctly but does it wrong in 1.2.1. Could be an error somewhere in the IR code. If you like I can send you the pre-release of my Piston Engines mod including an engine and operating instructions so you can compare stuff, if you like. You might even like my solution for the ignition electronics.

Finally, I'm wondering if you tried the KER beta, to see what it's reporting.

Thanks

I'll try the KER beta when I get home. I remember it having errors in the readout a few KSP versions ago.

No, thank you :-)

1 hour ago, Azimech said:

If you like I can send you the pre-release of my Piston Engines mod including an engine and operating instructions so you can compare stuff, if you like. You might even like my solution for the ignition electronics.

Please do, it's difficult to debug when I don't have the test case

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.