The New Monoliths (Spoilers)

Ultimate Steve

Warning: Spoilers.

For those of you who didn't know, 1.2 added a whole bunch of new monoliths. I recently found one by sheer coincidence on Gilly. I landed, and noticed a black speck. Turns out, I only landed 1.7 KM away from it!

DsovQ7e.png

I know for a fact that there is one on Dres now, and two (one old and one new) on Minmus, as well as a few others.

So I have a few questions: Has anyone found any others? And more specifically, are there any new ones on Ike or Duna?

4 minutes ago, max_creative said:

Wait... 

THERE'S A MONOLITH ON DRES?!? 

LAUNCH ALL THE ROCKETS!!! SEND OUT ALL THE PROBES! PREPARE THE ROVERS! Oh, and someone go check Duna and Ike on the way there. 

Jeb: Ok...

No. Dres is a lumpy sphere shaped rock.

2 hours ago, W. Kerman said:

No. Dres is a lumpy sphere shaped rock.

Yeah but, technically, all the planets are that. Except Jool, obviously; and Eve, which is more of a lumpy sphere-shaped deathtrap.

I found this one by accident on a tourism visit to Minmus--right near the equator, at the edge of one of the "flats." Apparently most/all of the new ones are greenish.

ny0pGDM.png

• 2 weeks later...
On 19.10.2016 at 1:52 AM, Ultimate Steve said:

Warning: Spoilers.

For those of you who didn't know, 1.2 added a whole bunch of new monoliths. I recently found one by sheer coincidence on Gilly. I landed, and noticed a black speck. Turns out, I only landed 1.7 KM away from it!

One can land more than 1.5km away from anything on Gilly?

I've not found one of the new greenish ones yet so can't verify myself, but I believe they are semi-random and different for each new game, in a similar way to how the ore concentrations can be different with each new game.

Found one near southern ice cap on Duna.

Since I was running out of fuel and still wanted to "harvest" two more biomes, just buzzed it.

8JFskIp.png

Edit: Later my Trucky crew visited the same monolith.

bDV0sl1.png

ScanSat BTDT scan shows it as 'RANDOLITH'.

Edited by Sharpy

It would appear from this that  the new green monoliths, as well as being in random locations for each new game, also give a science and/or research bonus of some sort.

I've only tried sandbox so far in 1.2, and not found any yet. Does anybody know if they only appear in career and science modes or if they are also present in sandbox?

• 2 weeks later...

I don't like this "random appearance" of stuff in new KSP versions. It ruined the magic boulder and now it ruins the monoliths. What's next, procedurally generated Krakens?

It's a really good way to ruin lore when you don't give the players fixed concepts around which ideas can revolve.

One thing that should be random and procedurally generated are somewhat rare rocks Kerbals could pick up. Unfortunately, someone is really ignoring this old idea many people suggested so far.

14 hours ago, lajoswinkler said:

I don't like this "random appearance" of stuff in new KSP versions. It ruined the magic boulder and now it ruins the monoliths.

14 hours ago, lajoswinkler said:

One thing that should be random and procedurally generated are somewhat rare rocks Kerbals could pick up.

Not sure I understand here, randomizing some things ruins them, and randomizing other things does not?

1 hour ago, Arsonide said:

Not sure I understand here, randomizing some things ruins them, and randomizing other things does not?

Yes. Exactly that.

Those rocks don't exist (yet) and would be equivalent to Super Mario coins, only rarer. The idea was to collect them in a museum or something like Lunar Sample Laboratory Facility NASA has for lunar samples where you could see them, the amount, perhaps perform some experiments with them, etc.

Easter eggs are something completely different. Those are existing famous sites for visiting with unique coordinates. I don't understand why you don't understand the distinction.

Edited by lajoswinkler

21 minutes ago, lajoswinkler said:

Easter eggs are something completely different. Those are existing famous sites for visiting with unique coordinates.

Says who? What fun would an easter egg hunt be if the easter bunny put the eggs in the same spots every year?

It could certainly be said that unique, static landmarks make excellent easter eggs, because these static points of reference allow the community to relate to each other much better when someone posts a video of their super low orbit going through a Mun arch. It could also be said that procedural, dynamic points of interest make excellent easter eggs, because they allow people to discover new things on their own.

I don't think either one precludes the other, but both are definitely easter eggs.

Edited by Arsonide

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.