[TERMINATED] MKS Tutorial - 24/11/16

Crabman

I stopped the development of this tutorial because I didn't have time anymore and because all calculations change after minor updates, and it takes a lot of time to interpolate all values and generate all graphs and formulas. So I lost interest because it changed too muchm but I know this is with the best intentions of Roverdude to make this mod as balanced as possible. There are some awesome people updating the Wiki right now. If you want to help, this is the thread: 

I'm doing a MKS tutorial because there is no one updated to the lastest version and I think it's a hard mod but also very enjoyable. Note that all information listed here was tested at the day they were added. It's not a copy of changelogs or from any other place, everything was tested by myself. There is a changelog at the bottom of this post, so if there was some update/bug fixing on MKS mod and I didn't updated, please tell me.

TL;DR: Cut machinery chain off if you are starting/learning how to play with this mod by sending Kontainers with it. You'll not need to worry about it if you just do this. Machinery production is complex (but consumption is slow, for example: with a big industrial workshop, working at 22500% load, you'll need about 8200 machinery per YEAR), so don't bother with it before learning how to do supplies production to your kerbals. If you agreed to do this and don't want to read the full tutorial, just use the Base planner 1 - Supplies. It will show you what is needed to feed how many kerbals do you need to. View/download link is below. I didn't added example crafts yet, but will later.

1. Concepts about Modular Kolonization Systems (MKS)
        a. Part's functionality
        b. Resources
    2. Logistics
        a. Scavenging
        b. Planetary Logistics
    3. Getting resources
        a. Orbital scanning
        b. Surface scanning
        c. Drill planner
    4. USI - Life Support
        a. Supplies
            i. General concepts
            ii. Fertilizer (TBD)
            iii. Agroponics
            iv. Cultivate (S)
            v. Cultivate (D)
            vi. Recyclers (TBD)
        b. Base planner 1 - Supplies
        c. Habitation/Home (TBD)
            I. General concepts
            II. ColonySupplies
        d. Base planner 2 - ColonySupplies
    5. Efficiency Parts
        a. General concepts
        b. Greenhouse (Updated to version 0.50.7, from November 23th)
        c. Crusher (Outdated)
        d. Smelter (Outdated)
        e. Workshop (Outdated)
    6. Power (TBD)
        a. Power generation
        b. Power distribution
    7. Production (TBD)
        a. MaterialKits
        b. SpecializedParts
        c. Machinery
        d. EnrichedUranium
        e. Base planner 3 - Machinery

Link of the tutorial to view online: https://onedrive.live.com/view.aspx?resid=7987968D9100EE9D!2683&app=OneNote&authkey=!AOH7C-rNdg8Jx7s

If you just want the Base planners, here are the links:

Supplies: Link down for maintenance.

Update (Nov. 24th): Math behind efficiency just got way more complicated after the last 3 updates of MKS. I got the calc to see how much machinery you should have to feed the number of kerbals you want with Duna and Tundra parts with efficiency, but I'm fixing the Fertilizer production now. The modifier of profession bonus is taking way longer than I wanted to figure out. Once I finish Agroponics, Cultivate (S), Cultivate (D) and Fertilizer production I'll release again. I just don't want to release a sheet that doesn't work at 100% of time. In other words, everything changed. None of calcs from before works now. Maybe in a week or so it should be re-fixed.

ColonySupplies: (TBD)

Machinery: (TBD)

Base planner 1 - Supplies images:

Spoiler

t59wbqx.png

pjO1Pg6.png

If you find any error of any kind, please tell me so I can fix.  

Worksheet with MKS data:

Spoiler

I'm also releasing a spreadsheet with all resources and where they can be produced. Note that I did not put Habitation nor Recyclers yet: https://www.dropbox.com/s/aevckjz9mvinisu/MKS Resources.xlsx

Update 21/10/16: Added Spreadsheet.

Update 23/10/16: I'll add the next module tomorrow with a little rework of previous chapters

Update 26/10/16: Tutorial reworked to be on OneNote. Waiting to finish some parts before publishing.

Update 26/10/16: Part of the tutorial published.

Update 27/10/16: Added "Getting resources" chapter

Update 2, 27/10/16: Added "Supplies" chapter

Update 29/10/16: Added Base planner 1 - Supplies

Update 2, 29/10/16: Added Efficiency calculation to Base planner 1 - Supplies

Update 3, 29/10/16: Added Recycler calculation to Base planner 1 - Supplies

Update 30/10/16: Added a TL;DR

Update 24/11/16: Doing everything again after efficiency updates. Greenhouse efficiency updated at OneNote tutorial, but will take some time to retest it all.

Edited by Crabman

@TheRagingIrishman Feel free to do this. I'm afraid to delete some things on the github's tutorial, so I didn't changed on github. 

If you want to publish this tutorial somewhere else please mention my forum name, I'll be happy to see it :) Thank you.

I'm still having some doubts about how some things work so I'm slowing down a little and testing lots of examples to see what can work so I can share also.

Edited by Crabman

I find the text difficult to read in the centre, where the back ground turns a lighter colour, easy fix is to use white letters with a black outlining(in open office it's called shadow, dont know about m$ powerpoint)

E8pwTpV.jpg

can't comment on the actual content as i haven't used mks so far. Looks complicated so tutorial would be nice :)

Edited by mudkest

Thanks for the feedback, @mudkest.

I'm changing the tutorial from PowerPoint to OneNote, to make easier to navigate through topics. Slides aren't very good to a big tutorial. Will submit once I do a little rework on supplies production. (I'm finishing efficiency formulas right now)

Edit: Re-published now

Edited by Crabman

HI, I really enjoyed your tutorial.

This tutorial is very focused towards bases.  I am a new MKS user and I am starting with space stations only.  It's a different kind of design and layout. Recyclers should play a more important role and mechanics play a lesser role because everything needs to be supplied from somewhere else. If you would like, I can try and see if I can develop something for stations, or are you also developing?

FYI, first attempt at Kerbin space station.  Had to ditch the hab ring due to way too much power needed:

i1mF7eY.png

Thanks

On 07/11/2016 at 0:31 PM, Gilph said:

This tutorial is very focused towards bases.  I am a new MKS user and I am starting with space stations only.  It's a different kind of design and layout. Recyclers should play a more important role and mechanics play a lesser role because everything needs to be supplied from somewhere else. If you would like, I can try and see if I can develop something for stations, or are you also developing?

I didn't tried Space Stations yet. If you want you can help, but for now I think it would be better to do this at MKS' github wiki, because I don't have much free time now to do double checks, and everything I added here was tested by myself. You can help everybody by updating there :) Thank you for your support!

Edit: This tutorial is like a band-aid while some smarter people don't update MKS' github

Edited by Crabman

Hi,

In the tutorial, I noted there is not a specific section for the math.  While there are references in the different sections, it may be a good thing to have some sort of concentrated math overview, with charts and examples, to be used as a reference.

On ‎10‎/‎19‎/‎2016 at 9:34 PM, Crabman said:

Machinery production is complex (but consumption is slow, for example: with a big industrial workshop, working at 22500% load, you'll need about 8200 machinery per YEAR),

When you see something like this, and you try to go through the individual sections, you may get lost early because these numbers are not understood.  Having a math section before the life support section may be helpful. Then, when you read through the manufacturing and resupply sections, you get a feel for the things you want to concentrate on.

Thanks

2 hours ago, Gilph said:

Hi,

In the tutorial, I noted there is not a specific section for the math.  While there are references in the different sections, it may be a good thing to have some sort of concentrated math overview, with charts and examples, to be used as a reference.

When you see something like this, and you try to go through the individual sections, you may get lost early because these numbers are not understood.  Having a math section before the life support section may be helpful. Then, when you read through the manufacturing and resupply sections, you get a feel for the things you want to concentrate on.

Thanks

This tutorial is a "Work in Progress (WIP)". I didn't touched machinery chain, BUT their numbers are shown at the worksheet that I also shared. When I get to machinery chain I'll do another planner, like the one for supplies, showing how much output you can get with how much input you have per second, and after that you can see how much input/efficiency parts you need to have to be self-sufficient at machinery.

In other words, I'll add it later.

33 minutes ago, Crabman said:

This tutorial is a "Work in Progress (WIP)". I didn't touched machinery chain, BUT their numbers are shown at the worksheet that I also shared. When I get to machinery chain I'll do another planner, like the one for supplies, showing how much output you can get with how much input you have per second, and after that you can see how much input/efficiency parts you need to have to be self-sufficient at machinery.

In other words, I'll add it later.

Thanks very much

Where do the nom-o-matics fit into all this? I'm going to build an early tech base on the moon for a contract and I only have nom-o-matics, the scout lander and Salamander (and the Karibou multi-hub), and a recycler. Also have a few parts with ULSI support from other mods, but they mainly effect hab stuff. Was thinking using the Salamander with a Nom on top and recycler below followed by the scout. Then add other stuff latter. Does the recycler effect the whole base area? or just the craft it's attached to ?

The guide list 3 modes for the Duna and Tundra Agriculture modules. But there are 5 plus the sub modes that follow "=>":

------------------------------------
Argoponics=>	Cultivate(s)
              Cultivate(d)
              Agriculture(s)
              Agriculture(d)
Cultivate(s)=>	Argoponics
              Cultivate(s)
              Cultivate(d)
              Agriculture(d)
Cultivate(d)=>	Argoponics
              Cultivate(s)
              Agriculture(s)
              Agriculture(d)
Agriculture(s)=>	Argoponics
                  Cultivate(s)
                  Cultivate(d)
                  Agriculture(d)
Agriculture(d)=>	Argoponics
                  Cultivate(s)
                  Cultivate(d)
                  Agriculture(s)

Edited by Vorg

23 hours ago, Vorg said:

The guide list 3 modes for the Duna and Tundra Agriculture modules. But there are 5 plus the sub modes that follow "=>":

Argoponics=>	Cultivate(s)
              Cultivate(d)
              Agriculture(s)
              Agriculture(d)
Cultivate(s)=>	Argoponics
              Cultivate(s)
              Cultivate(d)
              Agriculture(d)
Cultivate(d)=>	Argoponics
              Cultivate(s)
              Agriculture(s)
              Agriculture(d)
Agriculture(s)=>	Argoponics
                  Cultivate(s)
                  Cultivate(d)
                  Agriculture(d)
Agriculture(d)=>	Argoponics
                  Cultivate(s)
                  Cultivate(d)
                  Agriculture(s)

Umm the => doesn't signify sub-modes, it shows you what the next mode will be if you click next mode. There are only 5 modes, Agro, Cult(S), Cult(D), Agri(S), and Agri(D).

So the lower 2 buttons select the mode and the mode button above them locks it in sort of. I thought it had something to do with how it worked with other modules, what resources it took in/put out.

So still have 5 modes instead of 3. I realize that 2 of the modes are just source material, but there is still a core mode not mentioned, Argoponics (nom's mode?) vs Agriculture.

Edited by Vorg

Agriculture (S) and (D) are used to make Organics, that will be used later to do ColonySupplies, so I didn't added those configurations because they were not relevant to Supplies production.

NOM's were not added because I don't use them (I'd rather use the ones made specially for surface bases). I might add them in the future, but you can download the sheet and add it now if you want. It's just "if" after "if" to make the calcs.

Edited by Crabman

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.