Liquid fuel or ion engines??

Hi guys! I want to go to Laythe with a 100 tons space station. To the station I'll dock two 10 tons spaceplanes, a 30 tons ground base, and two 5 tons little landers. In total a 160 tons spacecraft [without engine].

Do you suggest ion engines or liquid fuel+oxidizer engines??:huh:

I forgot to say: I have ksp 0.25;.;

RAM Sticks are cheaper then most sacks of fertilizer at your local gardening center. Need upgrade advice, ask us.
Unless you have a very old platform ofcourse, even still, there is something called ebay. In which case it's probably even cheaper.

Or your going to tell me that the pc is so old that its motherboard cannot support over 2GB ram.
Which makes me wonder why you haven't upgraded it yet in the past 1-2 decades.

And unless you pirated KSP (angryface), it's probably cheaper then the game itself.

Don't want to waste a penny? Have fun with v0.25.
Do you have pics of your vessel? In 0.25 things can get quite wobbly. So LFO is adviced for circularisation as is pointed out. But you better check if your station is stable under the thrust you wish to apply.

Edited by Vaporized Steel

a additional 2GB of ram costs about 1/3th the money you need for a new game. So if you have money for games, you have money for RAM sticks a plenty.
Don't do anything you don't want to do. I'm just sharing a option you may not have considered. If you don't like the idea of upgrading your pc yourself then don't.

All I can say that adding ram sticks yourself is very very straightforward and seems a dangerous thing to do, but it isnt.
You can even let it be done at a local computer store for a little extra service costs. This way they can even determine what exact ram stick should fit into your computer.

And it will still be cheaper then a new game. Unless you go to a computer store where they trick you into spending large amount of service costs. In which cases you get scammed lol.

Your age shouldn't matter in this case because a 14 year old can go to a pc hardware store as easily as a adult.

The pirated comment was a joke lol, and was not to be taken seriously :D

There is another thing: as you said; my platform is very old. One year ago i had 1 gb Ram so i put an aditional gb. The man who instaled it said that my board can't support anymore Ram. Ruined dreams to me'--'. I wish this was so simple...;.;

If that is the case then I wish you good luck with v0.25
I also hope you get enough cash some day for a more modern computer, which by my guess is surely something you'd want.

For better help with your station it would be best to make a screenshot of it. That way you will get more specific advice.

Not sure a screenshot is required to be honest. A 100 ton station isn't going anywhere with ion engines. Not in any sort of reasonable timescale anyway. Liquid fuel engines for sure, possibly nuclear engines if you have them in 0.25.

4 hours ago, KSK said:

Not sure a screenshot is required to be honest. A 100 ton station isn't going anywhere with ion engines. Not in any sort of reasonable timescale anyway. Liquid fuel engines for sure, possibly nuclear engines if you have them in 0.25.

This.  You would need so many ions, and attendant batteries or solar panels or whatever, it would probably brick your computer.

13 hours ago, KSK said:

A 100 ton station isn't going anywhere with ion engines.

That is not entirely correct. If you normally use 1 ion engine for a 2ton probe...then just keep adding 1 ion engine for every 2tons worth of space station. It will have same dv and TWR as the probe.

But 80 ion engines + batteries + solar and also the 160t spacestation is going to have a huge part count, most PCs won't be able to handle that anyway

Even if you were to add enough ion engines, batteries and solar panels to make it workable at Kerbin, it still wouldn't work out. Reason: destination is Laythe. Not much solar power out there, even in 0.25, and that version doesn't have fuel cells. RTGs don't have viable specific power. You'd have to double or triple up on your solars. Might not be enough room on the station to physically fit that many.

7 minutes ago, Streetwind said:

Even if you were to add enough ion engines, batteries and solar panels to make it workable at Kerbin, it still wouldn't work out. Reason: destination is Laythe. Not much solar power out there, even in 0.25, and that version doesn't have fuel cells. RTGs don't have viable specific power. You'd have to double or triple up on your solars. Might not be enough room on the station to physically fit that many.

you only have a small thime to do the circularisation burn on your target planet.

so you need, for a short time a good twr.
the rest of the time, ion-engines are good-enough...

Or you plan a long way to break...
(have fun with the calc and waiting...)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.