KSP Weekly: The new Devnotes

SQUAD

18 minutes ago, Alshain said:

I would like to see it back on Thursday so I can watch it again. :P

Yeah ... and how do I get an announcement in advance? Like a few days or something. I'm always late because I get an email in my inbox when it has already started.

On 10/23/2016 at 5:07 AM, rkman said:

Already had a rocket explode due to stock fairings getting stuck while staging, so i'm waiting for 1.2.1, and then for the Stock Bug Fix Modules to get updated. 

I have only seen this with engine fairings on clipped engines.

So I just remove any fairings from clipped engines and then no explosions.

It is probably draggy, but as it is usually on a multi-use landing stage with legs and radially mounted drills, one engine that is a bit draggier than it could be is usually a pretty minor problem(especially as it is usually one of 3-5 engines, and none of the others have fairings either).

I cannot put a finger on it, but these devnotes... just aren't the same as previous ones we've grown accustomed to. I miss the "bug" talk, about hearing of the behind the scenes tales of bug hunting done by the Squad staff. To be honest, it's like going to Star Wars VII hoping to hear a great story, just to realize all it is is a retelling of Episode 4 - with more explosions and less story line.

Please do not get me wrong, I just miss the way the old devnotes gave us insight into the various personalities working on KSP. It served to allow them, at least in my mind, become a part of our forum family. This current edition just seems like its sterile of all personality.

Edited by adsii1970

47 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

I cannot put a finger on it, but these devnotes... just aren't the same as previous ones we've grown accustomed to. I miss the "bug" talk, about hearing of the behind the scenes tales of bug hunting done by the Squad staff. To be honest, it's like going to Star Wars VII hoping to hear a great story, just to realize all it is is a retelling of Episode 4 - with more explosions and less story line.

Not sure how much of that is due to the new format and how much is due to them just finishing a huge push into a new version.

I'm willing to wait a bit and see how this pans out, but for what it's worth I miss the shop talk too.

On ‎10‎/‎23‎/‎2016 at 6:40 AM, RocketSquid said:

I got it, it was first posted elsewhere in the forums and that link works.

Just a word of advice, in case the term "3D blueprint" made you think of 3D printing, it's a foldable thing.

Would you mind sharing the link or what the name of the thread was if you remember it..

1 hour ago, 5thHorseman said:

Not sure how much of that is due to the new format and how much is due to them just finishing a huge push into a new version.

I'm willing to wait a bit and see how this pans out, but for what it's worth I miss the shop talk too.

Me too. I'm going to wait and see how it pans out - it's quite reasonable that 1.2 has taken priority over the last couple of months - but I do miss the Daily Kerbal in general and not just the dev notes. I'll be disappointed if it all gets condensed into a short Friday bulletin. And I agree with @adsii1970 that the current editions seem a bit sterile. Less insider view, more canned marketing speak. Again - we'll see how it works out in the end.

I've played the Windows version since 0.20.1. Back in...0.24 or so, I began using a Mac when my Windows machine was unavailable. Naïvely, I assumed the two versions would be equally stable. Now, don't think I'm unfamiliar with continual crashes-- I'm a proud member of the "mod it 'til it crashes" school. The difference was only in the number of mods-- the Windows edition supported tens of mods, while certain single mods killed the Mac one entirely. I forgave this assymmetry then, largely because of the zero in front of the version number. Oh, and I never saw a SQUAD person mention the Mac problems.

But the issues plaguing consoles were far more drastic than those I encountered back then, and KSP has lost the immunity of an alpha or beta title. The problems now being exhibited are basically intolerable, especially with the marketing as a complete title. I suppose the certs don't have any playtesting either, which seems counter to the goal of quality they presumably represent.

1 hour ago, KSK said:

Me too. I'm going to wait and see how it pans out - it's quite reasonable that 1.2 has taken priority over the last couple of months - but I do miss the Daily Kerbal in general and not just the dev notes. I'll be disappointed if it all gets condensed into a short Friday bulletin. And I agree with @adsii1970 that the current editions seem a bit sterile. Less insider view, more canned marketing speak. Again - we'll see how it works out in the end.

It is a transition period with most of the coding and content devs gone (the ones who are left--like TriggerAU, sal_vager and Squelch--are mainly Q&A), something I said during the last Squadcast and UomoCapra agreed.  It's going to take time to rebuild the coding team, and maybe then the devnotes will be something like the past ones.

However, something does seem to have changed with the whole Daily Kerbal thing, and maybe in Squad in general.  None of the other daily features (Fanwork, Video Wednesday, etc.), have had a new post, aside from one Modding Monday one--last week.  All the fun stuff seems to have gone away, replaced with the canned marketing speak.

4 hours ago, Laguna said:

It is a transition period with most of the coding and content devs gone (the ones who are left--like TriggerAU, sal_vager and Squelch--are mainly Q&A)

Many of the old coding and content devs are gone.

There are still quite a lot (actually more than before) of both old and new people there, even if they don't show up on the forums.

39 minutes ago, N_Molson said:

Another great potential fix for 1.2.1 would be the Burn Time Indicator. Its been broken for ages, and it would nice to make it work properly. There are a couple of mods that do it perfectly, so it shouldn't be a problem.

If you can keep the devs long enough to do it that is

Edited by Redneck

21 hours ago, RocketSquid said:

Darn, worked for me.

Yeah. That link is the same as the one in the devNotes sadly. For some reason neither one of us is able to get it. Could you past it to imagar or other place that lets you post images? As I know how to right click and "save image as". But, yeah it is a bit strange they used dropbox instead of an image site....

Edit; Was able to get it in a round about way using foxfire..  Did the direct download then open with  "Window Photo Viewer"... When that opened.. Copied that then pasted else where.. Oie... They really should have just pasted it as image.

Edited by Aragosnat

47 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

People talk a lot about the supposed stability/reliability of consoles, but that only applies for developers that are willing to put a lot of time/effort into polishing and QA. A lot of sloppier developers (Squad, Bethesda, etc) release buggy ports that they never properly fix. To be clear, you have my sympathies. It's definitely a jerk move to release a sloppy port and not fix it. I'm more just musing here.

Also, in an effort to clearly communicate, I just wanted to throw my 2c about @passinglurker's position. There's some animosity in the air since the console ports negatively affected PC players as well. The rush to make changes to the game in preparation for the ports led to a lot of bugs/instabilities in the game that have only really started to get fixed in the 1.2 release. In the end, I don't think anyone is fully happy - PC players had their game compromised to try and get the game ported, and console players have to deal with a subpar port.

Thanks for your reply. I did not know that PC players were affected negatively by the console port. I thought if anything, the port would be good for those running KSP on lower end PC's. I was also unaware that there were changes made to the game to prepare for the ports. My impression was that they just sent an older version to Flying Tiger to port. I'm struggling to understand how PC players had their game compromised because of the console port, so if you could shed some light, that would be great. 

1 hour ago, passinglurker said:

You don't seem to have a lot of experience with KSP on PC. For one, aside from the save corruption we had all the same issues as you do during the 1.1 update.

What you fail to realize is Squad screws everyone over. they cut features and rushed out these buggy releases to make a console port which had repercussions on all platforms and with the sudden 1.2 dev turnover communications have been in shambles for everyone. PC users aren't getting special treatment.

What version you are presently on is irrelevant the dev notes review the work the squad has done over the past week. they worked on 1.2.1 and some plushies that's what you get for this week. This may not be the news you want but this is still news for you. This is still news about the game you play and how it will change with time you can complain about it not being the news you want (everyone does that) but you can't scapegoat and blame another group of users for this.

I am certainly not blaming PC users like you say. That's just ridiculous. I never said anything like that, so I am not sure where you got that idea. Scapegoat? What? I was responding to your assertion that console players were not being neglected or that somehow we were being treated the same way as PC users. 

It is very clear from where I sit that the console version of KSP is being neglected, and that it has been for a while now. The devnotes do need to include some updates about what is happening with the console version, for their console customers sake. They could even have Flying Tiger do a separate "console devnotes", which I have already suggested. That seems like it would be easy because Squad wouldn't even have to do anything. But hearing nothing week after week, and month after month is not acceptable. We paid full price for this game and have certain expectations about a working product. 

When all we get is silence from Squad and Flying Tiger, it just leads us to expect the worst out of them. I also don't know that Squad and Flying Tiger have the competence or the will to solve these issues. So far it seems like they don't. If Squad are supposed to be proving themselves to us like they said, all they are proving is that they are not to be trusted. 

The very acrimonious argument about console updates was threatening to take over this thread in addition to the two or three threads already devoted to it, and so quite a large number of posts on that subject have been moved from this Devnotes thread to the thread dedicated to the console updates

8 hours ago, N_Molson said:

Another great potential fix for 1.2.1 would be the Burn Time Indicator. Its been broken for ages, and it would nice to make it work properly. There are a couple of mods that do it perfectly, so it shouldn't be a problem.

During one of the 1.2 development Squadcasts, I asked if the "N/A" for the maneuver node burn time was going to be fixed, either in 1.2 or later.  NathanKell replied that the reason it has never been fixed is that it would basically require KER being made stock--it's that complicated of a calculation, requiring delta-V be figured out possibly across more than one stage, the way KER and Mechjeb do.  And of course, we all know what why KER has never been in the stock game.

However, he also said, confirming what was posted/said previously, that the fuel flow overhaul in 1.2 was a necessary major first step in putting a delta-V readout or KER-alike (and no more "N/A") in the stock game.  So, with new devs, there is some hope, small as it may be.

Hey, SQUAD! I'm not sure if you'll see this, but, hey, it's always worth a shot and there's no hard feelings if you don't. It's a busy world out there. 

Anyways, I was just wondering if there was any news regarding the progress of the part revamp since Porkjet has gone on to follow his Porkjet destiny? I've done some searching for a couple hours, but haven't found too much. I love the new--gorgeous--parts, and seriously don't mind putting off my first career playthrough for a few months to wait. :wink: 

(Seriously. I held off on Witcher 3 for 6 months waiting for one, just ONE particular mod to come out. That's how much I love the mods. I'm addicted to the mods. The mods are my friends. They pat my back and stir my cocoa when I'm sad, and we go out together to have slushies in the sunset.)

That said, I understand if you can't give much. I'm just as excited as the next guy and would love to hear more about what you have to say! :D :D:D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.