how did you find out about ksp??

TheGuyNamedAlan

as ksp reaches another milestone(1.2) its time to do some recaping

last year, i was searching an mir reentery animation and it came out with this ksp cenimatic

i searched it on google and instantly realised it was for me.

the first video i watched was probaly scott manly's coz it said fly safe af the end.

A member of the Battlefield 4 clan I  was (briefly until it turned out I was actually rubbish) mentioned he was off to play KSP. I asked what it was. He said "A rocket game .  Try it."

Now I am on 1.5k hours and climbing...

Followed Jester's EvE blog, where he often diverted to this strange single player rocket game.

Downloaded the demo, was bemused and confused for a couple of hours (the demo lagged several versions behind the then current game, so tips and tutorials made no sense in some cases).

2-3 hours in I decided that was worth at least 27 USD :)

Never looked back.

I saw the Kerbals first on a youtube series called Crash Course Astronomy, with Phil Plait. Worth watching if you haven't already, btw. The Kerbals are never mentioned, but they are just silently standing on a shelf in the background, or on the table in the foreground. 

Then I stumbled upon the youtube channel of jacksepticeye, which featured many videos in which he's basically just playing KSP. I got hooked on the videos for a few days - until I bought the game and got hooked on the game itself. That's 5 months ago now. :P  

Now that you mention it, @Starhawk, I also read XKCD.

Edited by Magzimum
typo

Funnily enough, the very first time I ever heard mention of it was from a friend I had in high school. He thought I might be interested in it, but I neglected to look it up further. Fast forward about a year or two and I saw the game on steam basically on my own, then remembered it was the game he endorsed, and eventually I bought it and here we are today!

I watched a Scott Manley video and assumed it was a PC only title. Then ages later I saw an announcement that it was being released on PS4, only to discover that it was not available in Europe. I checked the store and found there was a Mac version, so bought that instead.

i just need to decide what new computer to buy now to run it at max settings!

My kids suggested it, and some work colleagues talked about it.  I resisted knowing I would probably get hooked and do little else.

Eventually I caved in and got the demo,  and bought it very soon after (v0.18.3).  At least I was right about something, I got hooked, but I manage to keep my addiction under control (mostly).

I had an odd experience. I downloaded the demo and tried it. When I couldn't find basic data like DV and TWR and realized I'd have to keep a calculator around, deleted the demo. I'm not opposed to math or critical thinking, but the idea of requiring users to run calculations on a separate computer just felt like a huge miss and I'm a bit of a stickler for user experience.

A few months later my nephew told me he was playing it using the KER mod. Once I tried that, I was sold and I'm well over 1000 hours now.

Edited by tjt

Found it in a thread on a totally unrelated message board I used to browse.  It was probably something like "See if you can reach orbit in this neat rocket sim", which was pretty much the only objective there was at the time in 0.8.x

I can't remember, but I know I found KSP shortly after discovering Space Engineers, and I probably had a KSP video recommended for me on Youtube. I do know that one of my earliest inspirations for KSP was a video of a very impressive Constellation-inspired mission to Duna - which I have watched several times over the last few years, as despite being from 2013 it can still be quite an effective source of inspiration for missions.

I found it on YouTube in 2011 or 2012 but I don't know exactly how, though it certainly wasn't through anyone well-known. It's hard to find the old videos now since YT's filtered search is pretty naff in its criteria selection.

Edited by Guest

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.