how did you find out about ksp??

TheGuyNamedAlan

Saw a few remarks on XKCD, looked up the game, saw it did cost money and decided to let it be. At that point I did have the impression the game was about throwing nuclear submarines into Jupiter or whatever it was. Years later a colleague at university told me that he was playing this game (KSP) in co-op mode and that it was incredibly hard and realistic. Apparently he wasted a day with his colleague building a space station... Asked him a few questions, downloaded the demo and gave it a try. Landing on the Mun, Minmus and rendezvous'ing in the demo version became easy at some point, so I decided to purchase the full game...after all, wasting a lot of time might be worth an investment. And should I get bored, I can still throw nuclear submarines into Jool...

Kurtjmac. I was a typical little kid that loved mine craft and I watched is Far Lands or Bust series and he was talking about KSP on his channel. Took a look and I've watched through the whole thing, all 112 episodes, twice now. Being a little kid without the means to buy the game, I pirated it (Sorry squad, I've bought it since) and I've just fallen in love with it. It has inspired me to want to become an astrophysicist and hopefully someday an astronaut. I just hope they do a little better with their rockets than I do

I originally was told about the game by an online friend who was getting into it. I think they sent me a screenshot and were describing their struggle to design and then learn to fly space planes.  I was very dismissive.  Got hung up on the little green men part and assumed the game was quite silly, which, pile that on the fact it sounded like an awful lot of work....  I didn't think it would be my thing.

Like, a year later, I was pondering writing science fiction stories and happened across this website: http://www.projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/respectscience.php

This guy appealed to my interest in realism and managed to convey how and why Hollywood sci fi is so often unrealistic per real world physics.  Plus he's witty and a hilarious read.  I gobbled up everything on that website...

And then I got to orbital mechanics.  He used KSP as a demonstration tool.  Also, he made an really early version (pre .90) orion drive mod.  Which led me to watch Scott Manley playing around with said mod.

I still haven't written any sci fi's.  I haven't even landed on Eeloo yet!  

1 hour ago, Kyrt Malthorn said:

I originally was told about the game by an online friend who was getting into it. I think they sent me a screenshot and were describing their struggle to design and then learn to fly space planes.  I was very dismissive.  Got hung up on the little green men part and assumed the game was quite silly, which, pile that on the fact it sounded like an awful lot of work....  I didn't think it would be my thing.

Like, a year later, I was pondering writing science fiction stories and happened across this website: http://www.projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/respectscience.php

This guy appealed to my interest in realism and managed to convey how and why Hollywood sci fi is so often unrealistic per real world physics.  Plus he's witty and a hilarious read.  I gobbled up everything on that website...

And then I got to orbital mechanics.  He used KSP as a demonstration tool.  Also, he made an really early version (pre .90) orion drive mod.  Which led me to watch Scott Manley playing around with said mod.

I still haven't written any sci fi's.  I haven't even landed on Eeloo yet!  

Yes this happened to me. I saw the "cartoony little green men" and just passed on it.

Another vote for xkcd here, 1244.

Got the demo, played the demo to death, wondered skeptically about the "planes" bit and all the other stuff not available in the demo.
I came to the conclusion that either the "buy it" splashscreen was excessively photoshopped, or I'd waste my life away playing the game. Either way I shouldn't buy it.

Fast-forward a couple of years, and xkcd got me again, this time with the Jupiter Descending what-if. Downloaded the demo, played the demo to death (this time there was career mode), tried to resist the temptation to buy (again), but this time I failed.

I was right though. I shouldn't have bought it :wink:

Sorry 4 the relatively minor necro, but I was really into space videos ~early to mid 2014 on Youtube (I've loved Astronomy my whole life), so one day YT just decided to recommend a Scott Manley video to me. I got hooked on his channel, watching for ages and ages until I got the game a few days later as a birthday gift.

Scott Manley popped up in my YouTube recommendations. :P  Yep.  If I didn't look at YouTube that day, I would have never found KSP, and I have no clue what I would be doing right now because it got me into game development, gave me reason to do web development, made me learn C#, build my first real "gaming" computer, etc...

• 2 months later...

Scott Manley's to blame for me getting into KSP.

I was watching some of his Elite: Dangerous videos (another game I need to buy soon), and he happened to mention Kerbal Space Programme.  That was all he said, just the title, and I must be honest and admit I thought it was a daft title and probably a game I wouldn't be interested in.

Then a few weeks later I happened to find one of his videos, watched it and knew immediately my previous impression was wrong.

The rest is history.

I watched one too many vids about space on Youtube and some tutorial vids on EVE online while I was digging it. So Youtube decided to recommend me the Scott Manley's channel. At first I thought it was a game for kids because of the cute little green aliens, but was curious why such a grown man was playing the game. After three vids I fell in love with the lego-like building of space ships, bought the game and subscribed to Scott's channel.

Heard about it like when I was browsing lists and stuffs for good 'space games'. And that was like about 1-2 years ago? Can't really remember.

Either way, I remember seeing early 0.8.0 footage of KSP and thinking, 'Wow! That's really a nice game,' and then all of sudden reading the description of an article that described the game as hardcore, and being (very sadly) put-off for a few years.

Then, a few years(?) later I saw it again, this time in the 0.24.0 stage. Thinking 'huh, I'm bored, let's try something new,' I bought the game, and... The rest is history.

I've been seeing KSP videos on YouTube for a couple years -- they'd come up in my recommended list, probably because I search for videos on sailplanes, autogyros, ultralights, hang gliders, airchairs, high power rocketry, etc.  A couple months ago, I watched several of them, including a couple by Scott Manley, and there was mention somewhere of a demo version.  Well, a free demo of an interesting looking game is always worth a try -- but I use Kubuntu (Linux).  Would it run on my system?

Well, eventually I decided to try the demo, even through it was Windows-only.  Downloaded it, went through the process of installing it via PlayOnLinux (an easy front end for Wine, the Windows API for Linux systems) and found the demo worked very well. I Googled a bit, after flying a couple of what amounted to sounding rockets with pilot, and found a design for a demo-part rocket that could make orbit.  Built it, flew it, extended it a little (limited by stack flex with the 20-unit 1.25 m tanks) and flew Jeb around the Mun -- and got him stranded in a rather high orbit because I ran out of dV before I could get a periapsis inside the atmosphere.  But by then, I was hooked.

I was concerned, however, about whether the full version would run well enough under Wine to be playable.  Then I found out there was a Linux-native version, specific to Debian-based distros.  Well, what do you know -- Ubuntu (and hence, Kubuntu) is based on Debian.  Even better, if I bypassed Steam, it was less than US$14.  Done!

Now I'm waiting for the mods I want to install (based on Scott Manley's videos, ones like TAC Life Support and Ferram Aerospace Research) to be compatible with 1.2.2.  So much for free time...

Me and one of the grad students in my group were doing a night of remote observing at the Keck telescope. The night was weathered out, couldn't even open the dome, so he goes "have you ever played Kerbal Space Program?". Sometime in 2015, I think. Anyway, I had never heard of it.

He brings it up, we play all night just trying to get a simple rendezvous with no addons. After playing all night, I went home and bought the game, went addon crazy, stayed up all day playing (when I normally would be sleeping). In the end I think was up a total of 36 hours.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.