Guide to install KSP via steam ubuntu linux

Borancer

So today i tried to install steam and after that KSP. When i opened KSP it got stuck to downloading screen, but the great thing is that i found solution which worked and now game runs smoothly. (Ubuntu 16.10)

How i did it?

1. In steam go to KSP properties (by right clicking KSP in steam library)--> Local files --> Browse local files (or you can go to KSP files with terminal also but this is easier)
2. Okay when your file manager opened, right click --> Open in terminal
3. run command: LC_ALL=C ./KSP.x86_64
4. KSP works :)

Only bad thing about this is you have to do that everytime you want to open KSP

Also i got problem with screensize and  i couldn't see like 50pixels down... (i used gnome desktop)
But i found solution to it also.

I disabled top bar so i could (see) hit the apply button so i could change it to fullscreen it settings. :)

Took me like 1hour to find solution by googling...
Hope so this helps someone!

Regards: Borancer

KSP actually worked out of the box for me. However if you need to pass it command line arguments you should be able to do it more efficiently by using Steam's advanced settings:

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=1040-JWMT-2947

Enter LC_ ALL=C here and it should run correctly every time.

see below post for correct info

Edited by robopilot99

I've found that KSP has a tendency to make common Linux desktop environments malfunction in some way or another, from the window just jittering a bunch in LXDE and XFCE4, to Cinnamon crashing outright and not being able to recover. The only DE I've found that doesn't have issues is, unfortunately, the much-denounced Unity desktop that ships with Ubuntu. If you find Unity usable, I would recommend switching to that, as I've done. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.