KSP Caveman Challenge 1.2

5 hours ago, Anuter said:

Here is my submission in hard mode, without any experiment from Kerbin's land, water or athmosphere to make it a bit harder.

Great first entry - really like all the detail in your album.

To make things worse, the next Mun encounter kicked Jeb out of Kerbin SOI.

...And here goes Valentina!

Please tell me you're going to rescue poor Jeb and Valentina! :)

I don't think I'm good enough to bring them back with a pusher tug without patch conics.

In the other hand, I like doing this low-tech challenge, so I want to continue this save game: only upgrading the R&D to see how far it's possible to go with the other Caveman restrictions.

After more experience and enventually unlocking the Klaw (it's just one node away), this should be doable!

Edit: I just realised that the ion engine is not so far above in the tech tree: since it is easy to launch 2t in low kerbin orbit, even unlocking the whole tree is not that challenging once you arrived at this point.

Edited by Anuter

Well, I have nothing to do now between designing apollo mission rocket so I decided to take up on this challenge.
So far I only have 2 vehicles so not much but I like them.

Also I have question about funds, can I cheat them or do I have to complete contracts inbetween? and what about KER?

Spoiler

20170328212914_1.jpg

20170328212929_1.jpg

Edited by Numerlor

Even in hard mode, money doesn't seem to be an issue: for every world first milestone, you get enough money for a few missions, and there are often contracts compatible with your current mission profile (science from there, satellite here, etc...).

Regarding KER, I don't think it's allowed: it isn't specifically banned in the rules for this reboot of the challenge, but it is in the original challenge thread.

Edited by Anuter
typo

3 hours ago, Numerlor said:

So far I only have 2 vehicles so not much but I like them.

That's a cute rover.. I like it. I'm guessing it's just for science harvesting around KSP? Because at 2 tonnes mass, it'll be a real PITA to set down on Mun or Minmus.. And as for getting the Kerbal home again.. I think you could forget about that.

17 minutes ago, Numerlor said:

Well, I forgot that you get money from milestones because of 3 month sandbox and where could I park my rover to get science from astronaut complex? I managed to do it near flag pole but no success there

As far as I know, you can't get science from the Astronaut Complex without upgrading it... which, of course, would be against the rules. Let's see... you can get science from the launchpad, crawlerway, VAB, SPH, KSC, mission control, administration, tracking station, R&D, and the runway without upgrading anything.

1 minute ago, IncongruousGoat said:

As far as I know, you can't get science from the Astronaut Complex without upgrading it... which, of course, would be against the rules. Let's see... you can get science from the launchpad, crawlerway, VAB, SPH, KSC, mission control, administration, tracking station, R&D, and the runway without upgrading anything.

and flagpole if you drive on it with all science equipment but I saw some threads about first astronaut complex science but only in tiny spots

Edited by Numerlor

Well, finally did it. Last 80 science was killing me for almost 2 days :D and before you jump into me cheating because of eva report from orbit and upper atmosphere check my abomination in images below

20170401213841_1.jpg

20170401213845_1.jpg

20170401213849_1.jpg

Spoiler

Plane used for exploration of Kerbin

20170401214046_1.jpg

Rover used for exploration of KSC

20170401214038_1.jpg

Base stage of orbiter

20170401214014_1.jpg

Probe landed on Mün

20170331201523_1.jpg

First design EVA abomination (Only used for upper atmosphere science later replaced with more "aerodynamic" design)

20170401132527_1.jpg

Plane Rover Rocket

Edited by Numerlor

• 1 month later...
8 minutes ago, llanthas said:

Is this challenge to be done in Career Mode, or Science! Mode?   If done in Career, then contract Science! points count, correct?

The challenge is done in Career mode, since facility upgrades aren't a mechanic in Science mode. And, yes, science points from contracts count, although grinding contracts for the science required sounds incredibly tedious.

Having started one of these, how kosher is sending a kerbal up in what's essentially a shark cage? And assembling craft on the launch pad using Jr docking ports to get around the mass limit? I've seen both of these here.

I only managed to get to orbit caveman-style last night and I miss EVA functionality already. The command seat is also out of reach, so no cheaty 5 tonne rockets with Valentina perched on top, or stuffing kerbals in service bays. Grateful for the science container to avoid collecting data by EVA.

On ‎3‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 0:09 PM, Numerlor said:

but I saw some threads about first astronaut complex science but only in tiny spots

It's possible with the Tier 1 Astronaut Complex:

Spoiler

Managed to push a 'rover' made of two command pods and service bay against a wall of the Tier 1 Complex, collected data from there, then backed off. Same thing with flag pole.

7 minutes ago, Gordon Fecyk said:

Having started one of these, how kosher is sending a kerbal up in what's essentially a shark cage? And assembling craft on the launch pad using Jr docking ports to get around the mass limit? I've seen both of these here.

Creatively circumventing the rules is allowed and, in fact, recommended. Both pad assembly and Kerbal cages are 100% legitimate Caveman techniques, although neither is strictly necessary to complete the challenge.

7 minutes ago, llanthas said:

Starting my run with the 1.3 upgrade. Since I can't use any mods yet anyway, it's unmodded.  :wink:

I was thinking of doing this as well, with the added restriction on myself that I must not use probe cores for anything.

On 5/24/2017 at 11:31 AM, IncongruousGoat said:

Creatively circumventing the rules is allowed and, in fact, recommended.

Well, there's nothing in the rules about it, so it's not about circumventing them. It's about getting the job done with what you have available. Voltronned launchers, kerbal cages, etc. are totally legit.

Best,
-Slashy

23 hours ago, llanthas said:

Starting my run with the 1.3 upgrade. Since I can't use any mods yet anyway, it's unmodded.  :wink: 

Same here. Just started my 1.30 caveman a couple hours ago. I have about 45 minutes of in- game time logged. I've collected the science from the pad & runway, most from flight, and recovered Val from orbit with lots of science. I've just unlocked basic flight, so next step is to construct a rover and hoover up science from KSC.

Best,
-Slashy

End of day 1.

Cave1301a_zps0vxxylt5.jpg

http://s52.photobucket.com/user/GoSlash27/slideshow/KSP/Caveman challenge/130

I have a little under 450 science left to collect. All of my flyby probes are launched and I've gathered all the science I'm going to get from around KSC.
Day 2 will mostly be flying around Kerbin to more distant biomes while I wait for my Munar probes to cross SoI.

Best,
-Slashy

End of day 2:

Cave1302c_zpsueigjyk4.jpg

http://s52.photobucket.com/user/GoSlash27/slideshow/KSP/Caveman challenge/130/1302

Less than 320 science to go. My munar probes had a successful flyby and are on their way home. My Minmus probes aren't even far out enough to do a midcourse correction yet. I've collected science from the tundra, northern ice shelf, and flying over the closer biomes.

Day 3 will involve more long distance flights while waiting for the munar probes to return.

Best,
-Slashy

Pics or it didn't happen...

http://s52.photobucket.com/user/GoSlash27/slideshow/KSP/Caveman challenge/130/Cave1303

I was able to complete the science for all biomes except for the badlands. Got my midcourse corrections done for my Minmus probes and recovered both Mun probes successfully. Badlands didn't work out because by the time I would've had daylight to land, it was time to recover my Mun probes.

I built this plane specifically for that mission:

Cave1303e_zpsgxumbzko.jpg

Despite not having the opportunity to fulfill it's designed objective, it proved very useful. I'd always considered the Wheesley to be a useless engine in career, but it's way faster and more fuel efficient than the Juno. It cruised at over 500 m/sec and could easily circumnavigate the globe. Good for doing long science missions when time is a factor.

Best,
-Slashy

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.