Slight Pause Every 6-10 seconds

Hello, 

I can't find a thread about this, or maybe it's just difficult to find. 

Problem: I'm getting a slight pause in the game that lasts about .5 seconds. This happens anywhere between 6-10 second intervals. I haven't experienced this before 1.2. My ship part counts are not the problem. I'm having the issue occur with part counts that are 34 parts. I'm not running anything besides typically 6 chrome tabs, steam, and really that's it. If you need me to give any more data, let me know

specs: 

Rainmeter (default setting) is telling me my CPU / RAM / SWAP usage is : 38% / 46% / 49% 

RipjawsX  16gb RAM. CPU- i7-4790K,  Graphics GeForce GTX 970 GDDR5, 4GB

Mods:

1. KAS (most recent update)
  2. KIS (most recent update)
  3. Kerbal Engineer (most recent update)
  4. MechJeb (most recent update, but not 1.2 supported - it's just installed)
  5. Spacey Lifters (most recent update)
  6. Spacey Expanded (most recent update)
  7. Notes (haven't updated /checked for 1.2)

Thanks!

It's garbage something collection (Unity cleaning up RAM bits that are not used anymore I think). It was there way before 1.2 and I thought it was supposed to be reduced with 1.2.

I don't know/remember ways to fix it, but I know there is no magical solution: you can probably reduce it, but it will stop whenever it wants.

29 minutes ago, Gaarst said:

It's garbage something collection (Unity cleaning up RAM bits that are not used anymore I think). It was there way before 1.2 and I thought it was supposed to be reduced with 1.2.

I don't know/remember ways to fix it, but I know there is no magical solution: you can probably reduce it, but it will stop whenever it wants.

interesting. I'm trying to read about it, but mostly just finding developer code / considerations. Anyone know if there's a way to mitigate this? 

Also, is there potentially another reason this is occurring? Thanks!

Edited by vracorzi

14 minutes ago, Speadge said:

try this (and increase the Heap size)

Edit: and make sure all mods are up2date

I'll check it out, I'd hate to have to install a mod to fix a gameplay issue, but if it's necessary. Searching the forums of the garbage collection issue actually returned a lot of info. I'm still reading through all of that. ugh!

Are you sure you're not getting exception errors? If you hit alt-f12 the default screen that comes up will be full of log data, in various colors. Is it full of red? You could have a mod that, 10 times a minute, is trying to do something and is getting all these errors.

I say this because for about a day during prerelease, I had exactly this problem. I never found out what mod was doing it, but it was a mod. By the time I got time to go through and test for it, I just installed new versions of all my mods and the problem vanished.

1 hour ago, 5thHorseman said:

Are you sure you're not getting exception errors? If you hit alt-f12 the default screen that comes up will be full of log data, in various colors. Is it full of red? You could have a mod that, 10 times a minute, is trying to do something and is getting all these errors.

I say this because for about a day during prerelease, I had exactly this problem. I never found out what mod was doing it, but it was a mod. By the time I got time to go through and test for it, I just installed new versions of all my mods and the problem vanished.

Ah thanks, I looked at the performance log and the console messages, but nothing is happening there. seems ok. I'll keep an eye on it though. 

Same problem here. No errors in console, performance tab says:

• Used heap: 0 (?)
  • Allocated: 764mb
  • Reserved: 973mb
  • Unused reserve: 207mb
  • Mono heap & mono heap used: 0 (??)

Now, I have some mods but mostly nonflight ones (RCS build aid, transfer window planner). I suspected KAC but removing it did not help. I have none of mods mentioned by OP. Lags are very visible with my minmus station, smaller crafts are either unaffected or effect is  too small.

Specs: gentoo linux, kernel 4.6.4, nvidia drivers 367.44, using amd64 ksp

Edited by radonek

First, check for log exceptions/spam, then install memgraph and have a look at a: whether your pauses line up with the garbage collection runs, and b: just how huch heap is being allocated ("last" value).

4 hours ago, radonek said:

performance tab says:

Performance tab is next to useless, AFAICT.

Do you happen to have a KerbNet window open and auto-refreshing at the time this is happening?

I think the first auto-refresh is 7 seconds by default, and it can cause a slightly noticeable hiccup every time for some people/configurations.

I've had this issue ever since I started playing KSP back in 0.9 something.

It's almost exactly 10 seconds the game pauses for a split second, super annoying in build mode because you end up grabbing something random instead of a new part.

I've never figured it out...

I play heavily modded BUT I want to say I was having way back when I only had a handful of mods installed.
It's been too long since I've played stock to remember, I just live with it.

I'm still on 1.1.3...too scared to update because I have all the mods and tons of crafts on missions, bases, satellites...
I should also add I am on 64-bit, I got the stutter on 32-bit and the old 64-bit hack trick nyan cat thing.

Edited by kurdain
Stuff

I'm back on this thread, on the other side this time.

Unbelievably annoying stutter every couple seconds when in space/reentring with a 5 parts pod (just started a career). Only mod installed is KER.

I experienced stutter before, but on heavily modded installs and never to that extent. My other 1.2 saves didn't have this problem.

2 hours ago, Gaarst said:

I'm back on this thread, on the other side this time.

Unbelievably annoying stutter every couple seconds when in space/reentring with a 5 parts pod (just started a career). Only mod installed is KER.

I experienced stutter before, but on heavily modded installs and never to that extent. My other 1.2 saves didn't have this problem.

Now I have it on all my saves. Every second, the game stops for a second. On any size of crafts.

1.2 was about to be the first decent release since Beta (didn't get to enjoy 1.1 before 1.1.3 because of random crashes) but actually no. It is currently heading the same way 1.0 and 1.1 did. I seriously hope the issue is on my end.

+1 stutterer here to. Happening in RO/RSS heavy modded game, lots of part rocket, at launch. buts its like every 3-4 second a pause.  CPU issue right? Only my CPU usage, per core, newer goes to 100% to explain this issue

There is a bug report here.

The issue seems to be linked with the highlighting FX, deactivating it in the options should remove the stutter. Squad should be aware of that and a fix should be in 1.2.1. (Info coming from the bug report itself)

1 hour ago, Gaarst said:

There is a bug report here.

The issue seems to be linked with the highlighting FX, deactivating it in the options should remove the stutter. Squad should be aware of that and a fix should be in 1.2.1. (Info coming from the bug report itself)

Thanks Gaarst. It seems to help a little for me, but I'm still getting some stutter. I did a clean install and experienced the issue, and then I installed KER to get one of my 400part count ships (which wasn't an issue before) and it's jussst slightly doing it. more bearable now, but I'm hoping for more updates!

I've got the same problem, using win 10 x64, with the exact same setup (mods, etc.) under linux (mint) i get no stutter at all.. thats just weird. never had stutter before 1.2, just the usual x32-problems with too less ram usable etc. Tried to run Memgraph, but it won't change anything with alt+ numpad-keys, so allways shows a full 8top to bottom) ram-usagegraph of 100% memory-usage. (at ~1gb, while my sys got 32gb.) and,strangely, i cant uncheck the "highlight fx"-button in ksp, all others work fine. disabling only AA has not fixed the stutter.

1 hour ago, DanGer said:

I've got the same problem, using win 10 x64, with the exact same setup (mods, etc.) under linux (mint) i get no stutter at all.. thats just weird. never had stutter before 1.2, just the usual x32-problems with too less ram usable etc. Tried to run Memgraph, but it won't change anything with alt+ numpad-keys, so allways shows a full 8top to bottom) ram-usagegraph of 100% memory-usage. (at ~1gb, while my sys got 32gb.) and,strangely, i cant uncheck the "highlight fx"-button in ksp, all others work fine. disabling only AA has not fixed the stutter.

Have you changed the stock KSP "modifier" key binding?  MemGraph uses that in combination with the numpad keys or the end key.  If you have copied your settings.cfg file from a linux install then this may be set to the right shift key instead of the default (on Windows) of Left Alt.

If "modifier" is set to Alt and Alt-NumpadMultiply doesn't toggle the window display and Alt-NumpadPlus/Minus don't change the scale then something is odd about your keyboard.  Any chance you can run KSP, try to apply the padding with Alt-End (or whatever your modifier key is actually set to), quit out of the game and then upload the KSP_x64_Data/output_log.txt file to a file sharing site (e.g. dropbox, etc) and post a link to it?

Disabling just the anti-aliasing on a default stock install definitely does stop the highlighting related memory allocation for me.  The log file may shed some light on why it doesn't for you, or you could try deleting the settings.cfg and letting the game recreate the defaults to see if that makes a difference (especially if it was copied from a linux install).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.