Best way to spot anomalies? (No spoilers please.)

So, I had dabbled in SCANsat prior to 1.2, but now that Kerbnet is here I'm quite content with the stock solution.  I'm presently living happily with Kerbin and Mun each having a triplet of relay satellites.  Having  over a dozen probes  other spacecraft with probe cores,   sometimes anomalies show up...  And sometimes they don't.  It seems as though one given probe sees a handful of them, another probe might see the same ones or different ones.  I found one on the Mun and landed near it - the lander probe core never saw it no matter how close it was, but the surveyor that marked it with a waypoint spotted it from the SOI change on.

I'm wondering if this is limited to a vessel or a core.  I.e.  if I have 30 probe cores on one craft, am I more likely to find more anomalies, or would 30 separate probes do the trick?  Does anything reset them so it's prudent to check again later?  Do different cores have better odds? Do the old ore survey scanners come into play?  Why isn't there a KSPedia page that gets me pointed in the right direction with definitive answers? 

Despite the rant, I'm mostly just curious.  I'm excited to start finding some of the easter eggs I've never seen for myself, but I just wonder what it'll take to be sure I've got them all. 

Prior to 1.2 I've only ever spotted the closest few to KSC and one Mun arch.  Today I've found the Armstrong Memorial with the help of my probes - yay! 

I'm pretty sure that Kerbnet's ability to see different anomalies changes each time the SoI changes. So 30 different probes (might be a little overboard) would see different anomalies to each other (some would detect an anomaly that another might not). I might be wrong, but thats what I remember :)

Edited by AccidentsHappen

I'm trying to unravel that mystery too.

I know different core tyoes have different detection probabilities, but I'm not sure yet how it determines what each individual core can detect.

The dedicated rover core switches modes when landed, it only has a short range, but gives 100% detection with a 360 degree field of view. 

1 hour ago, Blaarkies said:

That's where Artyom runs through the tunnels, hiding from the "dark ones", right?

wrong post-soviet post-apo game :) You're thinking of the Metro series, I talked of S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

1 hour ago, Sharpy said:

wrong post-soviet post-apo game :) You're thinking of the Metro series, I talked of S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

:sticktongue: of course it is, that was the point.
...maybe we need to give stalker another playthrough

@Blaarkies: Kerbal Space Stalker: Shadow of KSC.

Actually, that would make an awesome mod. No space center scene, no VAB editor, no space program. Just a single kerbal in ruins of KSC, with lots of junk spread around, and KIS screwdriver in his pocket. Legend has it there is a Wish Granter on the Mun. Scavenge parts, hide from dangers, assemble a rocket and find the Wish Granter to restore the glory of kerbalkind. Some more "exotic" parts are spread around Kerbin, so first you'll have to assemble an airplane, find and retrieve them.

On 10/22/2016 at 9:14 PM, Kyrt Malthorn said:

I'm wondering if this is limited to a vessel or a core.  I.e.  if I have 30 probe cores on one craft, am I more likely to find more anomalies, or would 30 separate probes do the trick?

You open KerbNet from a specific core, so everything you see is always per core.

Does anything reset them so it's prudent to check again later?

Every 6 hours, so yes definitely check later.

Do different cores have better odds?

Certainly. A RoveMate has a 100% detection rate, but is limited to a 10km range. A Stayputnik has a very low detection rate. A RC-L01 has a very high detection rate.

Do the old ore survey scanners come into play?

No. Neither the NBS or Orbital Survey Scanner can spot anomalies.

Why isn't there a KSPedia page that gets me pointed in the right direction with definitive answers? 

Limited time to make a KSP page for everything. Plus leaving room for mysteries that the user can discover for themselves with a little Sandbox experimentation. But go ahead and file it on the tracker as a feedback if you think it's important.

Despite the rant, I'm mostly just curious.  I'm excited to start finding some of the easter eggs I've never seen for myself, but I just wonder what it'll take to be sure I've got them all. 

A super high tech probe core around every CB, setting waypoints on every anomaly you see, and constant vigilance!

• 1 month later...
On 24/10/2016 at 9:22 AM, Sharpy said:

@Blaarkies: Kerbal Space Stalker: Shadow of KSC.

Actually, that would make an awesome mod. No space center scene, no VAB editor, no space program. Just a single kerbal in ruins of KSC, with lots of junk spread around, and KIS screwdriver in his pocket. Legend has it there is a Wish Granter on the Mun. Scavenge parts, hide from dangers, assemble a rocket and find the Wish Granter to restore the glory of kerbalkind. Some more "exotic" parts are spread around Kerbin, so first you'll have to assemble an airplane, find and retrieve them.

Valentina stands amidst the wreckage of the space centre.  All the buildings lie in ruins, the VAB now just a smouldering heap of ash and the tracking centre reduced to rubble.

But Valentina, driving around the ravaged complex, sees a light on in mission control.  She finds a piece of paper that reads "Get to the island, there's a working plane behind administration".  Sure enough, behind the bombed out administration building is a plane.  The plane looks like it was designed by a madman, and clearly shouldn't even be used it for crop dusting.  Nevertheless, there are some coordinates on a post-it-note stuck to the console.

Valentina climbs aboard, setting off for the island...

---

You wouldn't actually need mods (though it would be improved by KIS/KAS).  You could a) Place all the vessels first; b) Destroy all the buildings except mission control (easy enough), then c) hand-edit the persistence file so that there's no money left, and add a succession of logical contracts that follow from each other (and a few other bits - no money to repair buildings etc) - fly to the island with a terrible plane; fly in a different plane a bit further to find a rocket, get to space, etc.  The player would have to agree not to use the map view to switch vessels as that would naturally defeat the object.  But still, I'd play that - and you'd only need basically a save to start!

Yeah, I've been thinking of taking Sharpy's suggestion and making it into a real mod. You'd need an engineer to use the KAS electric screwdriver.

So, you and your 4 buddies (because of course the fab 4 are special!) arrive at KSC after some unspecified catastrophe. Bill has the electric screwdriver. All the buildings are ruins, but you can click on a ruin to search it for parts or plans. Wehrner has a machine shop and can build parts if you can get him plans and upgrade his tech (by unlocking R&D nodes). If you can activate the VAB or SPH (by finding plans and paying the repair cost) then you hire him to do your vehicle construction. Gene is also there to offer helpful suggestions. If you get Mission Control operating, you hire him to run it. There is a ruined dock (from a mod) because there are some higher tech parts out on the ocean floor for you to scavenge. If you can get to the anomalies, they have caches of higher tech parts you can search every 10 days, maybe. There is a ruined observatory (from a mod) so you can discover the celestial bodies to travel there. More plans and parts and things on the CBs. And you are looking for 42 Krakenballs -- once you gather them all you can summon Klenda, the Good Kraken of the North, to restore glory to Kerbalkind, as Sharpy said.

On 18.12.2016 at 3:59 AM, bewing said:

Yeah, I've been thinking of taking Sharpy's suggestion and making it into a real mod. You'd need an engineer to use the KAS electric screwdriver.

So, you and your 4 buddies (because of course the fab 4 are special!) arrive at KSC after some unspecified catastrophe.

Only Bill arrives. The rest are MIA. You must find them for them to join your team! (but Jeb is nearby, findable within first 15 minutes... travel without a pilot would be a terrible chore considering there's no Mission Control to fly probe cores!)

Bill has the electric screwdriver. All the buildings are ruins, but you can click on a ruin to search it for parts or plans.

No such easy mode. You have to climb in and find the parts scattered among the rubble, on foot. ][ switching may help you locate worthwhile items, but they may be hard to get to. You may need to build yourself stairs or set up a ladder. Or shoot yourself out of a cannon :)

Wehrner has a machine shop and can build parts if you can get him plans and upgrade his tech (by unlocking R&D nodes).

He doesn't have it outright. It's totally ruined. But there was one at the old KSC... (OSE Workshop). Getting it to run will be a lengthy mission. Also, R&D... I really don't see the handful of kerbals rebuilding the lvl3 marvel of kerbalkind. We'd likely need a replacement. Probably an entirely new tech tree. Or simply an alternative unlock mechanics - instead of unlocking parts through R&D, you must find the plans.

If you can activate the VAB or SPH (by finding plans and paying the repair cost) then you hire him to do your vehicle construction.

I think rebuilding such big structures would go against the "spirit". Stick to a small workshop. Also, economy... that would be somewhat tricky: there really should be no Contracts. But I guess findable money would work.

Gene is also there to offer helpful suggestions. If you get Mission Control operating, you hire him to run it.

Once you find him... besides, the building is beyond repair, but you should be able to rig a "Mission Control" from a good relay antenna, a large probe core, a pod, and a pilot. Gene would be willing to take it up.

There is a ruined dock (from a mod) because there are some higher tech parts out on the ocean floor for you to scavenge.

I like this.

If you can get to the anomalies, they have caches of higher tech parts you can search every 10 days, maybe. There is a ruined observatory (from a mod) so you can discover the celestial bodies to travel there. More plans and parts and things on the CBs. And you are looking for 42 Krakenballs -- once you gather them all you can summon Klenda, the Good Kraken of the North, to restore glory to Kerbalkind, as Sharpy said.

Or whatever mcGuffin. An active colony on Laythe? The monolith around Jool? A mysterious starship in Low Kerbol Orbit?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.