1.2: what happened to the green target box?

Until 1.2 whenever I was piloting anything in the regular view (not map mode), I could see a green box indicating anything within several km long before I could actually see the vessel. This box also included a little bit of text telling you your distance from this nearby object. Not sure how far away it would start to pick stuff up, but it was significant, at least 10-20km. Since I installed 1.2, I never see the little green target box indicator at any distance. This makes rendezvous in orbit a lot more difficult for me, since I usually guide myself to the encounter for about the last km with at least a little help from visuals. In orbit, however, especially in the dark, you can't see anything small (say just a basic capsule on a rescue-from-lko mission) until you're something like 25m from it. So you have this impossible task of flipping back and forth between map mode to check distances and back to the piloting screen so you can control the craft.

I've been looking for a setting somewhere that turns this off and on but haven't found anything. So then I wondered if it might have something to do with the new com stuff? or maybe it has to do with something in career mode that I haven't upgraded/researched yet? Anyone else had this problem?

• 1 year later...

Folks, this question was asked (and answered) two years ago.  The original questioner has presumably long since passed the point of needing any additional advice on the matter.  ;)

Accordingly, locking the thread to prevent further confusion.  If anyone has a question about current problems playing KSP, feel free to open a new thread!