[Minimum KSP: 1.12.2] Heisenberg - Airships Part Pack

Angelo Kerman

Heisenberg 2.7.0 is now available:

Nuclear Option

This release fulfills my initial vision for the mod; an airship with electric motors and a nuclear reactor for flying on other planets! It also makes it possible to create really big airships with huge hangar bays.

NOTE: The Cyclone no longer requires Firespitter. You will find two versions of it in the catalog. One is marked (DEPRECATED). BE SURE TO UPDATE YOUR VAB/SPH CRAFT WITH THE NEW VERSION! It's the one without (DEPRECATED) in its title. Next release the (DEPRECATED) Cyclone won't be available in the catalog, but won't break any craft in the field.

New Parts
- Half-Side Flight Deck: one side is omitted to enable the creation of large hangar decks.
- Half-Side Aircraft Elevator: one side is omitted to enable the creation of large hangar decks.
- Top-Side Flight Deck: both sides are omitted to enable the creation of large hangar decks.
- GTG-250-H: This part is a gas turbine generator that produces up to 250 EC/sec. Its output is controlled by the throttle setting. If the Buffalo mod is installed, then this part is automatically deprecated and unavailable to new vessels; there is an equivalent in the Buffalo mod.
- Nuclear Gyro Ring: Combine the current gyro ring with a nuclear reactor capable of generating 1000 EC/sec, and you have the nuclear gyro ring. Just watch out for the sticker shock.
- WB-50 "Jet Stream" Electric Prop: This Size 2 (2.5m) stack-mounted electric propeller produces huge amounts of thrust- and needs huge amounts of ElectricCharge as well.
- WB-25 "Twister" Electric Prop: This is a smaller Size 1 (1.25m) stack-mounted electric propeller.

Bug Fixes & Enhancements
- The HL10 Side Elevator has new mesh options: Twin Elevator Railings, Left Rail, and Right Rail. For these options, the back wall of the elevator is omitted; great for making large hangars.
- Increased power output on the Gyro Ring.
- The Cyclone no longer depends upon Firespitter. NOTE: the Firespitter version of the Cyclone is still included, but only if you have Firespitter installed. It is marked (DEPRECATED). BE SURE TO REBUILD YOUR VAB/SPH CRAFT WITH THE NEW VERSION!
- Fixed issues with forward/reverse thrust on the ducted fan.
- Fixed issues with the HL-10 Gyro Ring not producing ElectricCharge.

I didn't include the Long Beach-class airship in this release, but you can find it here. It will be included in a future update.

Edited by Angel-125

49 minutes ago, Joe Couvillion said:

Does this model in any sort of body lift? 

I was wondering if JP Aerospace airship to orbit concept might work using this mod.

Not beyond what the game gives. In other words, no Module Lift like an aerospace wing has.

Heisenberg 2.7.1 should fix the NRE issues.

1 hour ago, Angel-125 said:

@panarchist @Shnyrik UNREP, airship style!

LjUzCdA.png

Way cool!  Are they airparked?  If not, how are you getting both up and transferring between them?  I found an interesting behavior with airparked airship carriers over water.  When you try to fly toward them and land on them, at 200m, they explode.  I think it's due to the behavior where at 200m from a landed (parked) vessel, you can transfer between them, but I'm not sure.  Having it parked over land is not a problem.  Also, I finally "landed" my fighter on a carrier:

i2Xn2Ob.png

ASC-04 "Akron" is an alternate design, which was supposed to be the "ideal" or prototypical carrier for the writeup I'm working on - but it has a perpetual slight list to port, and I don't know why.  Also, the one I did before that was completely unstable - I seem to be building them worse now as I go along.  I'm aiming to build a carrier with about 100 parts that can hold 4-6 aircraft at about 25ish parts each - for a total parts count of 200-250 parts.

Also, I need to sit down and create new labels for my ships.  Anyway, random stuff.

8 hours ago, panarchist said:

Way cool!  Are they airparked?  If not, how are you getting both up and transferring between them?  I found an interesting behavior with airparked airship carriers over water.  When you try to fly toward them and land on them, at 200m, they explode.  I think it's due to the behavior where at 200m from a landed (parked) vessel, you can transfer between them, but I'm not sure.  Having it parked over land is not a problem.  Also, I finally "landed" my fighter on a carrier:

i2Xn2Ob.png

ASC-04 "Akron" is an alternate design, which was supposed to be the "ideal" or prototypical carrier for the writeup I'm working on - but it has a perpetual slight list to port, and I don't know why.  Also, the one I did before that was completely unstable - I seem to be building them worse now as I go along.  I'm aiming to build a carrier with about 100 parts that can hold 4-6 aircraft at about 25ish parts each - for a total parts count of 200-250 parts.

Also, I need to sit down and create new labels for my ships.  Anyway, random stuff.

Nice, congratulations! :) Non-VTOL landing on the deck of a carrier is a challenge. To get those two airships to dock, I had to first air park the Akron, then fly the Fulton underneath and grab on with the klaw- no way I was going to try it with docking ports, the airships are just too massive. Doable if you don't mind a lot of struggle. With the airships linked, I can do some dragging across the ocean. Dragging in my verse involves the carrier dragging the support ship (in reality apparently dragging is when a tanker refuels aircraft); if I used Infernal Robotics, it would be the other way around. The fuel flow priority is set up so that the Fulton's tanks are drained before the Akron's, and if I had GPO Speed Pump installed, I'd have the Fulton auto-refuel the Akron as well. Where I'm headed next there are no Kerbinside airports, and having the support ship docked means I don't have to make the same flight twice.

If you have an island on one side, then the airship will list. The Macon sample craft has counter-balanced ore tanks to help offset the weight; the Long Beach has one of its storage bins filled with lead for the same reason.

Forgot to mention about the AirPark: It's a known issue with AirPark, I have my own experimental version of AirPark built into the Heisenberg, but it's not quite up to snuff yet. I did that linkup over land.

Edited by Angel-125

@Angel-125  Ah ha!!! I figured you had something special with Airpark there.  I haven't looked at how you did it for the Flying Buffaloes of yours, but I am very curious.

Also, now working on a new "real world" Buffalo using your parts...

Inspiration:

gpoJKlB.jpg

Just need to find a can or two of spray paint

Edited by smotheredrun

25 minutes ago, dervd123 said:

This mod got me back into ksp

Currently unnamed airship commencing circularization burn

Nice! Glad you're getting to enjoy the game again.

Heisenberg 2.7.1 fixes some NREs related to KSP 1.3, and adds the KSS Long Beach nuclear-powered aircraft carrier to the sample craft. At 200+ parts she's a handful, but I have an idea for a semi-procedural airship hangar part that will let you vary its width and toggle the flight deck too. That would reduce the Long Beach's part count significantly; I can reduce 9 parts down to just 1, cutting 45 parts from the craft once I make the new procedural hangar deck.

21 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

Nice, congratulations! :) Non-VTOL landing on the deck of a carrier is a challenge. To get those two airships to dock, I had to first air park the Akron, then fly the Fulton underneath and grab on with the klaw- no way I was going to try it with docking ports, the airships are just too massive. Doable if you don't mind a lot of struggle. With the airships linked, I can do some dragging across the ocean. Dragging in my verse involves the carrier dragging the support ship (in reality apparently dragging is when a tanker refuels aircraft); if I used Infernal Robotics, it would be the other way around. The fuel flow priority is set up so that the Fulton's tanks are drained before the Akron's, and if I had GPO Speed Pump installed, I'd have the Fulton auto-refuel the Akron as well. Where I'm headed next there are no Kerbinside airports, and having the support ship docked means I don't have to make the same flight twice.

If you have an island on one side, then the airship will list. The Macon sample craft has counter-balanced ore tanks to help offset the weight; the Long Beach has one of its storage bins filled with lead for the same reason.

Forgot to mention about the AirPark: It's a known issue with AirPark, I have my own experimental version of AirPark built into the Heisenberg, but it's not quite up to snuff yet. I did that linkup over land.

"Challenge" is an understatement.  I've crashed at least 20 times.  Will try it again at some point, but not tonight.

Airship UNREP wasn't developed that I know of, but there's basically 2 models in the "real world" - Navy UNREP (side-by-side), and mid-air refueling, which is basically like you say.  The guiding rule is the smaller craft cozies up to the larger one.  In the case of USN, the carrier is the biggest object, so it sails at a constant heading and speed, and the AOR / AOE pulls up alongside and matches course and speed about 100 yards off.  Then some guys in the hangar bay use special rifles to shoot a thin line to the replenishment ship, and the guys there hook it up to a thicker line, which is sent back to the carrier.  That line allows the hose to be dragged from one ship to the other, it's connected, and pumping begins.  So if the Fulton is smaller than the Akron (even by only a little), then the Navy would say you're doing it right.  But really, who knows?  If there had been a follow-on to the Macon, the USN might have eventually tackled airship mid-air refueling.  Either way, the pic is totally awesome, I love it.

Yeah, there is an island on both sides, built of the same parts, equal distance from the centerline.  All my carrier designs so far have been laterally symmetrical.  I replaced it with a "redesigned" Akron which I am putting some additional tweaks on before I try to figure out how to put 5 flyable aircraft on it without having to fly them all onto the deck myself. (or I'll just take several dozen hours to do that, and then save the heck out of that game)

The Airpark issue took a few minutes to figure out.  Had another weird thing happen: for the first time, when I parked the carrier, it kept moving, even though it was "landed".

Also - @dervd123 - sweet space carrier, love it!

1 hour ago, panarchist said:

"Challenge" is an understatement.  I've crashed at least 20 times.  Will try it again at some point, but not tonight.

Airship UNREP wasn't developed that I know of, but there's basically 2 models in the "real world" - Navy UNREP (side-by-side), and mid-air refueling, which is basically like you say.  The guiding rule is the smaller craft cozies up to the larger one.  In the case of USN, the carrier is the biggest object, so it sails at a constant heading and speed, and the AOR / AOE pulls up alongside and matches course and speed about 100 yards off.  Then some guys in the hangar bay use special rifles to shoot a thin line to the replenishment ship, and the guys there hook it up to a thicker line, which is sent back to the carrier.  That line allows the hose to be dragged from one ship to the other, it's connected, and pumping begins.  So if the Fulton is smaller than the Akron (even by only a little), then the Navy would say you're doing it right.  But really, who knows?  If there had been a follow-on to the Macon, the USN might have eventually tackled airship mid-air refueling.  Either way, the pic is totally awesome, I love it.

Yeah, there is an island on both sides, built of the same parts, equal distance from the centerline.  All my carrier designs so far have been laterally symmetrical.  I replaced it with a "redesigned" Akron which I am putting some additional tweaks on before I try to figure out how to put 5 flyable aircraft on it without having to fly them all onto the deck myself. (or I'll just take several dozen hours to do that, and then save the heck out of that game)

The Airpark issue took a few minutes to figure out.  Had another weird thing happen: for the first time, when I parked the carrier, it kept moving, even though it was "landed".

Also - @dervd123 - sweet space carrier, love it!

Interesting! I guess I'm technically doind a mid-air refueling, but I can transfer snacks and KIS inventory items too, so it's probably a combination of both.

In my case, the Fulton is both larger and heavier than the Akron. It carries twice the fuel load, so the Navy would shun me. Then again, the Fulton is the one with the claw, so it does the cozy.

For the aircraft, you could always stick a construction pad aboard- the part with the "H" on it- and build them via Extraplanetary Launchpads. The KSS Long Beach reference craft does that. It has 46000+ RocketParts just for that purpose. :)

8 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

Interesting! I guess I'm technically doind a mid-air refueling, but I can transfer snacks and KIS inventory items too, so it's probably a combination of both.

In my case, the Fulton is both larger and heavier than the Akron. It carries twice the fuel load, so the Navy would shun me. Then again, the Fulton is the one with the claw, so it does the cozy.

For the aircraft, you could always stick a construction pad aboard- the part with the "H" on it- and build them via Extraplanetary Launchpads. The KSS Long Beach reference craft does that. It has 46000+ RocketParts just for that purpose. :)

I tried doing that, and EL did everything except actually *progress* with the building.  I probably have something mis-installed, and I also am running MKS, so there could be something there that I'm missing. (it's worked before, but my 1.3 install isn't 100% stable yet since everyone's updates are still in flux) I'm in sandbox, so skill levels shouldn't be an issue.  Anyway, with 60ish mods, I'll either figure it out, or pare down the mods to something reasonable.  I've been Kerbal-ing since 0.17 so I'm sure I'll figure it out.

I don't think the Navy would shun you.  :-)  The US Navy has two operating guidelines when creating procedures.  1. If it works, use it until you find a better way to do it.  2. Every rule is written in blood. (meaning that every procedure or regulation came about because someone died, or was severely injured. So, if your procedure is causing dozens of Kerbals to fall to their deaths, then the US Navy would probably frown on that, but in terms of underway replenishment, I think it's a safe bet that any way which allows transfer of fuel without one or both airships meeting a fiery doom is a good way.

Oh, and a typical UNREP will transfer both fuel and stores/ammunition/parts - either through a cable into a second elevator opening, or via VERTREP - a helicopter lifting pallets off the supply ship and depositing them on the flight deck for crew members to grab and stow.  The Ganges would totally work for doing something like that, if you wanted to follow the Navy process.  These are all things I'm planning to write about, once I get done putting my assets in place to take the proper screenshots. Hopefully I'll have my draft done next weekend.

Oh, and I'm enjoying the KEEP writeups - great story, fun to read.

1 hour ago, panarchist said:

I tried doing that, and EL did everything except actually *progress* with the building.  I probably have something mis-installed, and I also am running MKS, so there could be something there that I'm missing. (it's worked before, but my 1.3 install isn't 100% stable yet since everyone's updates are still in flux) I'm in sandbox, so skill levels shouldn't be an issue.  Anyway, with 60ish mods, I'll either figure it out, or pare down the mods to something reasonable.  I've been Kerbal-ing since 0.17 so I'm sure I'll figure it out.

I don't think the Navy would shun you.  :-)  The US Navy has two operating guidelines when creating procedures.  1. If it works, use it until you find a better way to do it.  2. Every rule is written in blood. (meaning that every procedure or regulation came about because someone died, or was severely injured. So, if your procedure is causing dozens of Kerbals to fall to their deaths, then the US Navy would probably frown on that, but in terms of underway replenishment, I think it's a safe bet that any way which allows transfer of fuel without one or both airships meeting a fiery doom is a good way.

Oh, and a typical UNREP will transfer both fuel and stores/ammunition/parts - either through a cable into a second elevator opening, or via VERTREP - a helicopter lifting pallets off the supply ship and depositing them on the flight deck for crew members to grab and stow.  The Ganges would totally work for doing something like that, if you wanted to follow the Navy process.  These are all things I'm planning to write about, once I get done putting my assets in place to take the proper screenshots. Hopefully I'll have my draft done next weekend.

Oh, and I'm enjoying the KEEP writeups - great story, fun to read.

Glad you like them. :) It sounds like I can safely call this an UNREP then. Standard procedure is for the resupply ship to grab the target ship's engineering gondola, because if you look closely at the pic, the Akron's cargo elevator is positioned just above the Fulton's helipad- perfect for loading and unloading, but no parking. :wink: Story-wise, the airships slow to about 5m/s when docking and/or transferring dry goods and bulk items, but if it's just fuel then they can go faster. I figure that is slow enough to transfer stuff without the kerbals getting blown off the deck.

In the meanwhile I've been making some more tests :)

This is one of my new VTOL designs, inspired by guess what helicopter from guess what film :wink:

eeBUF2m.png

You might notice a docking port. This is on purpose.

Fxyi0b7.png

Not long ago I wrote about docking a hovering VTOL plane to a parked airship from beneath. Well, the time has come :)

njjR8sU.png

With @Diazo's Horizontal Landing Aid plugin and precise vertical speed control from buffalo's VTOL manager the docking itself was surprisingly easy even without any use of RCS.

XOsNnr3.png

Here I'm using my light carrier KAS Diamond as a test platform, but, of course, it will require building of a specialized airship :)

Edited by Shnyrik

@Shnyrik Outstanding! Now all you need do is flip the hangar deck upside down. :) Those ducted fans were indeed inspired by that movie...

4 hours ago, dragonsmate17 said:

@Angle-125, I am getting NRE's when I try to use the Long Beach. https://www.dropbox.com/s/tnjaqa5wi6l0xcw/output_log.zip?dl=0   Out put log KSP1.4 64bit

I'll have to look when I get home. Thanks for pointing it out. :)

Hi and thanks for the great mod, Angel-125!.

Well, my first post ever on the KSP forums was going to be a query about suspiciously explody airparked airships, but by some crazy luck that got answered (thanks panarchist) even before I had the chance to ask. AirPark bug, then? Ok, I'll remember to do all my carrier operations over land.

So, with nothing else to comment, here's a pic of my early career airship. With everyone else going big and hi-tech, mine is... well... different :D.

dQFQj18.jpg

Edited by Agent_Tremolo

Norton judt Quaranteed the folowing 

Filename: airshiputils.dll
Threat name: WS.Reputation.1Full Path: c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\kerbal space program\gamedata\gamedata\wildblueindustries\heisenberg\plugin\airshiputils.dll

On computers as of 
6/14/2017 at 2:00:46 AM

Last Used 
6/14/2017 at 2:02:46 AM

Startup Item 
No

Launched 
No

Threat type: Insight Network Threat. There are many indications that this file is untrustworthy and therefore not safe

airshiputils.dll Threat name: WS.Reputation.1
Locate

Few Users
Fewer than 50 users in the Norton Community have used this file.

Very New
This file was released less than 1 week  ago.

Medium
This file risk is medium.

Source: External Media

Source File:
airshiputils.dll

File Actions

File: c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\kerbal space program\gamedata\gamedata\wildblueindustries\heisenberg\plugin\ airshiputils.dll Removed

File Thumbprint - SHA:
8c555f5e2ac5b1813caa54a8f798452513b15985fb759bd08e3b9a2bde46d121
File Thumbprint - MD5:
13dc353af9e3c976358884dd3fe91a48

1 hour ago, [email protected] said:

Norton judt Quaranteed the folowing 

Filename: airshiputils.dll
Threat name: WS.Reputation.1Full Path: c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\kerbal space program\gamedata\gamedata\wildblueindustries\heisenberg\plugin\airshiputils.dll

On computers as of 
6/14/2017 at 2:00:46 AM

Last Used 
6/14/2017 at 2:02:46 AM

Startup Item 
No

Launched 
No

Threat type: Insight Network Threat. There are many indications that this file is untrustworthy and therefore not safe

airshiputils.dll Threat name: WS.Reputation.1
Locate

Few Users
Fewer than 50 users in the Norton Community have used this file.

Very New
This file was released less than 1 week  ago.

Medium
This file risk is medium.

Source: External Media

Source File:
airshiputils.dll

File Actions

File: c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\kerbal space program\gamedata\gamedata\wildblueindustries\heisenberg\plugin\ airshiputils.dll Removed

File Thumbprint - SHA:
8c555f5e2ac5b1813caa54a8f798452513b15985fb759bd08e3b9a2bde46d121
File Thumbprint - MD5:
13dc353af9e3c976358884dd3fe91a48

Yeah My Norton tries to peg a lot of DLL files and other files from KSP. I finally had to tell Norton to ignore the entire folder I have KSP stored in. You might need to do the same. Norton is just basically saying not enough Norton users use that file, so it's not sure if its a threat to your system or not, so it treats it like a threat to be safe. tell Norton to put it back and ignore it in the future you'll be fine. I've been using this mod for months no problems.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.