[Minimum KSP: 1.12.2] Heisenberg - Airships Part Pack

Angelo Kerman

15 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

Uh, your doc viewer app is in a language that I can't read. :)

Sorry, didn't know it required to have an account to read the docs. I'll post the logs somewhere else later today.

UPD. Here they are:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/z2z6iakdrfwhilt/logs.zip?dl=0

15 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

Meanwhile, here's the hotfix for Heisenberg that fixes the duplicate names issue

Thank you. I'll check it as soon as possible.

UPD. It didn't help. And I've tested my install with the previous version of Heisenberg (2.2.1) and WildBlueTools. It works fine, so it is one of them causing the problem.

Edited by Shnyrik

16 hours ago, Shnyrik said:

Sorry, didn't know it required to have an account to read the docs. I'll post the logs somewhere else later today.

UPD. Here they are:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/z2z6iakdrfwhilt/logs.zip?dl=0

Thank you. I'll check it as soon as possible.

UPD. It didn't help. And I've tested my install with the previous version of Heisenberg (2.2.1) and WildBlueTools. It works fine, so it is one of them causing the problem.

Ok, I'll take a look and see what's going on. Thanks for the logs, that'll help. :)

3 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

Looks like you have RPM installed. I recently added ASET props support to the Bison parts. What happens when you delete the ASET spaces? They're in the Spaces folder and all labeled with ASET in the name.

Eh. I don't see any "Spaces" folder in "WildBlueIndustries\Heisenberg".

5 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

What happens when you delete the ASET spaces?

It seems, you are right. The problem was with those spaces. KSP stopped crashing after I commented them out from gondola parts.

That is rather odd, because I have the latest versions of both RPM and ASET packs, and, well, it looks those mods work together well on your install.

Edited by Shnyrik

The latest version of the AS-4 Norge...

mGL9tKD.png

If you've seen the previous versions, you'll notice a few changes...  The stock solar arrays (previously only on the spine) have been swapped out for arrays from the Near Future Solar pack (20% heavier, but 40% more power!), and two lateral arrays have been added.  The laterals increase performance at low sun angles, especially when not traveling due east or west.  Given the additional power available in full sun, I also added an additional engine pod with two additional Firespitter electric motors.  She'll cruise at an incredible 56 m/s (158mph/208kph) when all three electrics are firewalled.  (Eat your heart out Elon!)  I retained the Cyclones to provide backup propulsion capability (though with 64000 electric charge available in her batteries she can easily troll through the night).

Just for the curious, here are the action groups I use to operate her:

1.   Toggle Cyclone.
  2.   Toggle pusher electric motor.
  3.   Toggle tractor electric motors.
  4.   Toggle reverse (all engines).
  5.   Toggle compressors
  6.   Toggle generators

Groups 2/3 allow me to choose between 1, 2, or 3 electric engines.  Group 5 is useful when making precision landings - those compressed air RCS systems eat compressed air like nobody's business.

I think I'm just about ready to head toward my goal - an around the world airship flight.

1 hour ago, Angel-125 said:

Go look at the stock Mk3 cargo ramp. It is extended when you add the part. Any fixes? Hint: It's supposed to be that way.

oh. Well, there's no way to unextend the parts. I just assumed that the fact that they were open meant that something was broken.

EDIT: They [your parts] do extend when I have them in the hangar. however, they are otherwise non-functional.

5UkKAZk.png

What did I misinstall?

Edited by Rory Yammomoto

Just now, Rory Yammomoto said:

yes, but they animate exactly once, in the VAB. There is no way to toggle the animation, as my previous post shows.

I think you've got something wrong with your install. The parts work just fine, or there would be a lot more people complaining. If you just have the stock game and the mod installed (and Hooligan Labs), you should have no problems.

20 hours ago, dangerhamster said:

Buzzard 4 (complete with rover) carrying out stowage check.

When I was in the Submarine Force, we didn't roll upside down, but right after we left port we did dive and ascend at steep angles and put the rudder into the stops at random times to see what shook loose.  We called it "angles and dangles".   I may or may not have once nearly broken a bone riding the length of the missile compartment on a piece of cardboard during angles and dangles.

Anyhow, now that DSEV is released and Angel has copious amounts of free time ( :) ), a suggestion - self leveling landing gear.

5f2oGBw.png

Well, with the new ASET props it really looks good, but you can add more. In the ASET Avionics pack, there is a throttle quadrant (think boeing 747) that would make a good replacement from the yucky squad default one, and I think right now some more analog parts could also make it looks great. I love this mod, and I think it is great.

8 hours ago, DerekL1963 said:

When I was in the Submarine Force, we didn't roll upside down, but right after we left port we did dive and ascend at steep angles and put the rudder into the stops at random times to see what shook loose.  We called it "angles and dangles".   I may or may not have once nearly broken a bone riding the length of the missile compartment on a piece of cardboard during angles and dangles.

Anyhow, now that DSEV is released and Angel has copious amounts of free time ( :) ), a suggestion - self leveling landing gear.

Those actually aren't set up as landing gear, just animated parts that extend downwards. Think of a service bay; you open the doors, and while you can land on them, they don't absorb the shock of landing. I've considered making them into more traditional landing gear, but since the ground stabilizer is a single part, both legs would move at the same time. Is adjustable landing gear even possible in KSP 1.2.2? The new wheel system, while necessary for Unity 5, made things more difficult for modders.

6 hours ago, >The Amazing Spy< said:

Well, with the new ASET props it really looks good, but you can add more. In the ASET Avionics pack, there is a throttle quadrant (think boeing 747) that would make a good replacement from the yucky squad default one, and I think right now some more analog parts could also make it looks great. I love this mod, and I think it is great.

I look forward to your redesign and pull request, if you'd like to take a stab at it. :)

Edited by Angel-125

9 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

Those actually aren't set up as landing gear, just animated parts that extend downwards. Think of a service bay; you open the doors, and while you can land on them, they don't absorb the shock of landing. I've considered making them into more traditional landing gear, but since the ground stabilizer is a single part, both legs would move at the same time. Is adjustable landing gear even possible in KSP 1.2.2? The new wheel system, while necessary for Unity 5, made things more difficult for modders.

Landing gear/landing legs...   People have made adjustable gear/legs before, but haven't needed 'em before and haven't kept up.   That was mostly tongue-in-cheek though, in reality Airpark would (AIUI/AFAIK) would actually lock it into place.

Though, more seriously, absorbing landing shock someday would be nice, especially when your vehicle spawns a meter or two above the runway.

I started off using legs but moved to using aircraft undercarts on a wide track setup. This was before Angel developed the stabilisers. So I haven't actually tried them yet. I do find that they help with stability or possibly alleviate my clumsy landing skills... they also make parking a snip, much easier to taxi into position without dealing with sideslip.

screenshot93_zpsbrluulhm.png

12 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

I look forward to your redesign and pull request, if you'd like to take a stab at it. :)

Hmm. Just wondering, what program do you use to assemble IVA's? Because I might actually try. Last time I tried the part tools weren't working so maybe it will be better this time.

30 minutes ago, >The Amazing Spy< said:

Hmm. Just wondering, what program do you use to assemble IVA's? Because I might actually try. Last time I tried the part tools weren't working so maybe it will be better this time.

Unit 5 and the KSP 1.1 parttools. You can download Unity from unity3d.com, and the PartTools can be found in the addon dev thread. Much appreciated if you do take a look and see what you come up with, it does help. :)

2 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

Unit 5 and the KSP 1.1 parttools. You can download Unity from unity3d.com, and the PartTools can be found in the addon dev thread. Much appreciated if you do take a look and see what you come up with, it does help. :)

Well, wouldn't you know. Perfect timing, as Unity literally just finished when I got your reply. The cockpit is going to be a bit less 'modern' (it will still have a few screens, don't worry)

13 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

The Macon reference craft uses landing gear as well, as the Heisenberg and Skydancer.

Your reference designs weren't available when I started working on Norge, and I didn't really study them until today...  Either Norge is going to be heavily rebuilt, or retired in favor of a new craft after she's re-created her namesake's flight and before my circumnavigation attempt.  I've learned a great deal on her shakedown cruises.

13 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

The ground stabilizers are more for camper shells..

They seemed a better choice at the time for the rough field landings contemplated as part of my operational concept.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.