A question about the GNU - General Public License v 3

adsii1970

I have a quick question. One of my favorite mods is no loner being managed by its author. It uses the GNU GPL v3 and I need some clarification.

Am I free to update the mod as long as I acknowledge their original work and contribution? If not, can I construct a parallel mod that will do the same thing without running into trouble?

I have tried to contact iPeer through the forum AND through PasteBin to no avail - and even subscribed to PasteBin just to make contact. Any advice would be great.

18 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

I have a quick question. One of my favorite mods is no loner being managed by its author. It uses the GNU GPL v3 and I need some clarification.

Am I free to update the mod as long as I acknowledge their original work and contribution? If not, can I construct a parallel mod that will do the same thing without running into trouble?

I have tried to contact iPeer through the forum AND through PasteBin to no avail - and even subscribed to PasteBin just to make contact. Any advice would be great.

You can do as you wish with the mod as long as you include the same license with your version and I assume you will attribute the original as well.  That's all you will need to do. 

Just now, Galileo said:

You can do as you wish with the mod as long as you include the same license with your version and I assume you will attribute the original as well.  That's all you will need to do. 

Thanks. I was pretty sure that is what I was reading but I just wanted a second opinion.

On 24/10/2016 at 3:06 PM, adsii1970 said:

Hello! The answer has already been given here as to what the license allows, so I won't cover that.

Apologies for not seeing your messages. I don't check back on the forums very often after I stopped developing my mods and I don't check pastebin at all. If you want to contact me over anything, your best bet would be Twitter. I check that at least once daily. (cc @Sigma88)

When you get your version up and running let me know and I'll put links to it in the original thread. :)

Edited by iPeer

3 minutes ago, iPeer said:

Hello! The answer has already been given here as to what the license allows, so I won't cover that.

Apologies for not seeing your messages. I don't check back on the forums very often after I stopped developing my mods and I don't check pastebin at all. If you want to contact me over anything, your best bet would be Twitter. I check that at least once daily. (cc @Sigma88)

When you get your version up and running let me know and I'll put links to it in the original thread. :)

haha :) I was just joking around :P

never actually tried to contact you via pastebin

6 minutes ago, iPeer said:

@iPeer: Thank you... will do!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.