SSTO to the surface of Eeloo and back

Great job on the mission.  The mini rover is quite cute and functional!!

I tried to mount an Eeloo mission last night in a long range Ion powered dropship I'd put together, kinda based off of Cupcake's Siren design, but I didn't make it, considering I had designed it for Bop in the Jool system to begin with (It's initial mission was to visit the dead Space Kraken so Val could pay it respects.)...

Anyways, I may have to take this for a test flight of my own so I can visit Eeloo, or maybe even take it to Vall to see the stone henge formation.

Edited by Speed_Kerman

37 minutes ago, Speed_Kerman said:

Some pictures of it in action would be nice.

He posted a video. Go watch it!

10 minutes ago, The Raging Sandwich said:

Nice! Although that's not really an SSTO, it is an awesome craft.

Also, I didn't get to see all of it, but what I did see was amazing.

It is an SSTO. SSTO = Single Stage To Orbit. As far as I know, that thing didn't drop any dead mass on the way up to orbit or coming back to land. So yes it is an SSTO.

Awesome Spaceplane mate! Good job on doing this! I'm still struggling to do a Laythe SSTO. :)

Fire

1 hour ago, Firemetal said:

He posted a video. Go watch it!

It is an SSTO. SSTO = Single Stage To Orbit. As far as I know, that thing didn't drop any dead mass on the way up to orbit or coming back to land. So yes it is an SSTO.

Awesome Spaceplane mate! Good job on doing this! I'm still struggling to do a Laythe SSTO. :)

Fire

It used the RAPIERS and jets at first then the nuclear powered ones. Unless you have to jettison off something for it not to be considered an SSTO, then that's a whole different story...

1 minute ago, The Raging Sandwich said:

It used the RAPIERS and jets at first then the nuclear powered ones. Unless you have to jettison off something for it not to be considered an SSTO, then that's a whole different story...

Actually you do. If you don't jettison anything, it's an SSTO. If you, it is. Everyone including me builds SSTO spaceplanes like that. Matt Lowne, Hazardish, Mark Thrimm, all the big youtubers. Didn't you know that?

Fire

Very cool, love the "engines in bays" concept and that adorable rover--but how can you possibly have had enough electric charge to run the ion engines? I can't see any significant solar panels on the ship, not that those would do a lot of good anyway as far out as Eeloo. Up until the point the liquid fuel runs out, of course the nuclear engines can recharge the batteries... but it looks like as you leave Eeloo, the batteries run down to nothing, and then recharge instantly to full at 8:24 in the video. Then as you burn retro to return to Kerbin, the electric charge gauge hovers around zero while the engines continue to burn, xenon in consumed, and the periapsis decreases. And then again at Kerbin you have a long burn on ions with the batteries hovering at ~60 EC remaining.

Shenanigans, time warp effect, or something else? :) 

18 minutes ago, Kuzzter said:

Very cool, love the "engines in bays" concept and that adorable rover--but how can you possibly have had enough electric charge to run the ion engines? I can't see any significant solar panels on the ship, not that those would do a lot of good anyway as far out as Eeloo. Up until the point the liquid fuel runs out, of course the nuclear engines can recharge the batteries... but it looks like as you leave Eeloo, the batteries run down to nothing, and then recharge instantly to full at 8:24 in the video. Then as you burn retro to return to Kerbin, the electric charge gauge hovers around zero while the engines continue to burn, xenon in consumed, and the periapsis decreases. And then again at Kerbin you have a long burn on ions with the batteries hovering at ~60 EC remaining.

Shenanigans, time warp effect, or something else? :) 

I have 88 of the PB-NUK Radioistope Thermoelectric Generators on the cargo bays. Check it out and download it at https://kerbalx.com/3Dprintingnut/Eeloo-x and see for yourself

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.