[1.8.x] T.R.A.I.L.S. Plus - Gemini-alike 2 Kerbal Parts Pack (19 Nov 2019) (1.8.1.6)

tg626

T.R.A.I.L.S. Plus v1.8.1.6

fKig7lj.jpg

(Original Parts Pack by @Beale)

Learn more at the WIKI
Y7iDsEr.png

"If it's more then you wanted to know, it's TMI"

This is an update of @Beale's wonderful little Trails parts pack bringing it up to KSP v1.2 standards.  It now includes an IVA which Beale began and I completed thanks to his generously providing his source files for the "Gemini" capsule, an IVA which I created for the "Big G" Module, and Titan rocket parts courtesy of @CobaltWolf and Bluedog Design Bureau!

aNOb2Ry.jpg

License

Manual

Recommended Mods

Downloads

Bugs?

*(versioning follows the format: Target KSP version.Sequential release number - v1.2.1.0 is version 1 for KSP v 1.2)

Edited by tg626

4 minutes ago, tg626 said:

(Original Parts Pack by @Beale)

TO: Director, KSC

SUBJECT: Advanced Mk1 Capsule

The Transport, Rendezvous, And Interplanetary Logistics Spacecraft is a 2 Kerbal pod

Many thanks for taking this over :) 

1 hour ago, CobaltWolf said:

Are you maintaining this now? Are there any changes that I need to make on my (BDB's) end and vice versa (anything you want/need from us)?

Yes I am.  AFAIK I should be fine, you should be able to pick the parts out of the "Gemini" folder and substitute them for the old version of the parts. Be aware that I did make some changes to make the service module and pod consistent with the rest of KSP.  No engine in Service Module = added node to mount engine, No decoupler function = created resized sperator (low profile) as a decoupler, Removed ablator from vinci capsule = created 1.5m heatshield from stock part. That sort of thing.  I'd suggest getting this pack and browsing it, if you need something changed I can roll out a "BDB Edition".

Oh, and there's a "bumper sticker" on the IVA dash.  It's a 256x256 png file called decal1.png.  I figured you might want to make that the BDB logo maybe?  Maybe not?

51 minutes ago, Beale said:

Many thanks for taking this over :) 

I'm honored to have the privilege.  Thank YOU!

16 hours ago, tg626 said:

Yes I am.  AFAIK I should be fine, you should be able to pick the parts out of the "Gemini" folder and substitute them for the old version of the parts. Be aware that I did make some changes to make the service module and pod consistent with the rest of KSP.  No engine in Service Module = added node to mount engine, No decoupler function = created resized sperator (low profile) as a decoupler, Removed ablator from vinci capsule = created 1.5m heatshield from stock part. That sort of thing.  I'd suggest getting this pack and browsing it, if you need something changed I can roll out a "BDB Edition".

Oh, and there's a "bumper sticker" on the IVA dash.  It's a 256x256 png file called decal1.png.  I figured you might want to make that the BDB logo maybe?  Maybe not?

Alright I'll have to take a look! I don't think I'll need a 'BDB Edition' for it, especially since the parts are already forked somewhat and maintained on our end; anything new sounds like we'd be able to just port the changes onto our own version.

re: IVA, I'll have... idk, @Daelkyr take a look at the IVA. I assume that means we can redistribute a modified version..? (Credited, of course)

re: IVA, I'll have... idk, @Daelkyr take a look at the IVA. I assume that means we can redistribute a modified version..? (Credited, of course)

Oh yes, my IVA is released under the same license as Beale, MIT.  

Oh yes, my IVA is released under the same license as Beale, MIT.  

FYI: I'm planning a Gemini_Crew_B IVA too as some point... but that won't be for awhile.

21 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Are you maintaining this now? Are there any changes that I need to make on my (BDB's) end and vice versa (anything you want/need from us)?

I'm going to change my mind on this one.  How would you feel about my distributing a modified Belle Docking port?  (notched Agena type)  It's a nicer match for the nose of this pack.

7 minutes ago, tg626 said:

I'm going to change my mind on this one.  How would you feel about my distributing a modified Belle Docking port?  (notched Agena type)  It's a nicer match for the nose of this pack.

Go for it! It's sitting on a larger texture sheet with some other stuff, would you want to transfer the textures onto some empty space in the Gemini texture sheets? IIRC the service module texture had a bunch of room, unless you used that for your new parts (I still haven't sat down and looked at your changes :P ). If you want, I can upload whatever files you want/need, let me know what formats you want them in.

Also, I just merged a PR from @Daelkyr adding your IVA. Thanks!

Also also, some feedback on the image that you put in the OP. This is purely, like, my opinion man. IMO the red + yellow of the decoupler is a bit too much. Perhaps toning them down, by desaturating them a bit (the yellow might need some faint orange/gold mixed in to compensate), or maybe adding some layers of grime to mute them a bit. I know that the stock decouplers follow that scheme but I don't think it matches the more subdued Trails parts. Or if you want (and I think this would be cool, to further differentiate the 'official' version and the BDB version) you could push the colors of the capsule/service module the other direction, towards more cartoony/old style stockalike. Just my 2c.

I think I may just do that.  My ultimate goal would be to push it more "stock-a-like" and have it so that the nose, chute, and RCS of the trails parts could be seamlessly stuck onto the Mk1 pod if a user wanted to. 

I also want to make the texture of the Vinci and bottecelli pods look like they came off the same assembly line as the Mk1.  I'll take another pass at the decouplers later too.  ATM I simply slapped the texture in PhotoImpact and spat a plain stock yellow stripe on it because I wanted it to look like a *decoupler* but have the low profile of the seperators.

Obviously my whole approach here is to try and make this as stockalike as possible, whereas your pack, like Beale's own Tantares, is going down to "Stockish resplica" route -  if I may be so bold.  

Anyway, I use Wings3D but I could install Blender if you are working in that.  Being able to remap the UV would be awesome.  My IVA has it's own textures, but being able to use some of that empty real-estate on the Service_A texture would be nice.

Another thing I didn't look at - at all - is where these fall in the tech tree...

9 minutes ago, tg626 said:

I think I may just do that.  My ultimate goal would be to push it more "stock-a-like" and have it so that the nose, chute, and RCS of the trails parts could be seamlessly stuck onto the Mk1 pod if a user wanted to. 

I also want to make the texture of the Vinci and bottecelli pods look like they came off the same assembly line as the Mk1.  I'll take another pass at the decouplers later too.  ATM I simply slapped the texture in PhotoImpact and spat a plain stock yellow stripe on it because I wanted it to look like a *decoupler* but have the low profile of the seperators.

Obviously my whole approach here is to try and make this as stockalike as possible, whereas your pack, like Beale's own Tantares, is going down to "Stockish resplica" route -  if I may be so bold.  

Anyway, I use Wings3D but I could install Blender if you are working in that.  Being able to remap the UV would be awesome.  My IVA has it's own textures, but being able to use some of that empty real-estate on the Service_A texture would be nice.

Another thing I didn't look at - at all - is where these fall in the tech tree...

Would you be making them fit into the old/current stock parts, or would you want them to match the new Mk1 that was in the Porkjet parts files - bearing in mind of course that those might never be finished? One thing I noticed is that in 1.2 all the windows got updated to the sorta teal-ish color that Porkjet used for his windows. I think it would be worth updating the color for your windows to match those, it was one of the first things I noticed when I launched 1.2.

Yes, our packs have certainly diverged from 'old stock', as I think of it. Though they do match the redone stock parts fairly well - not that it matters now. I still enjoy seeing the kind of cartoony old stock look sometimes, it's just that they clash with a lot of other mods, since most mod authors have moved away from that style and towards the more modern/detailed style that Porkjet was doing. If you wanted to have both available, I could package my textures so they would be available as a download in the OP or whatever. Or even the original Trails textures, come to think of it.

I work in Maya, so they'd be exported FBX files or something. If you're going to edit the UVs, that means that you'll probably have to rebuild the Unity setup for the docking port... Back then I modeled the colliders separately and assembled them in Unity... once you get there I'll have to take screenshots for the transform values for all the colliders. Sharing unity scenes is a PITA. I have PSDs of the textures, I think the best way would be to edit the textures to suit you (maybe convert the gray metal to matte white paint? It'd make it fit with the 1.25m fuel tanks for a sort of stock Agena Target Vehicle!), save it out as a flat PNG or something so you can cut out the relevant parts of the texture, move them / line them up to fit in the extra space on Service_A, and then edit the UVs of the mesh to match them back up. I might be able to save them out as TIFFs instead or something.

One of the areas that BDB is somewhat suspect is our tech tree balance, but unfortunately I don't know if our parts are one the same nodes as the Trails versions.

If you're pushing for more old-stockish style, is there any chance that we'd see a Titan II? :) I understand that's a big jump to make in terms of workload/commitment. But otherwise you wouldn't have anything to launch this on I think. I ask because I'd be more than happy to send you my Titan files as well, if you wanted to mess with those textures and include the bare basics that would be required for a 1.875m launcher... maybe even add a couple extras, like the Transtage engine for the vacuum engine (so you get the stock lifter/sustainer/vacuum lineup). Or you could point people towards MOLE's Titan parts, which already fit the old-stock style a bit more.

CR1TX9M.jpg

My own MOL using this mod and stock (albeit reskinned) parts.

I approached this of a mind that while it was odd sized, it was done for a reason. An "in Universe" reason that is. So it could be used with early 1.25m and later 2.5m parts, I have examples in the 2nd gallery above. I attempted to outline that in the "memo" in the OP.

My plan at this point is to make a pass over the textures, make an IVA for the Botticelli pod, add 2.5m SRBs derived from the in game BACC Thumper. and call it a day.

In my view this will make it a complete pack.  

I do wish for a complete set of 1.685m parts, but that would be a big undertaking, and I'm not sure that this is the right answer for that "no 2 kerbal pod" gap in the game, which is what I was looking to fill when I found TRAILS to begin with....

I dunno.  I'm really on the fence.

On 10/26/2016 at 7:36 AM, tg626 said:

My own MOL using this mod and stock (albeit reskinned) parts.

I approached this of a mind that while it was odd sized, it was done for a reason. An "in Universe" reason that is. So it could be used with early 1.25m and later 2.5m parts, I have examples in the 2nd gallery above. I attempted to outline that in the "memo" in the OP.

My plan at this point is to make a pass over the textures, make an IVA for the Botticelli pod, add 2.5m SRBs derived from the in game BACC Thumper. and call it a day.

In my view this will make it a complete pack.  

I do wish for a complete set of 1.685m parts, but that would be a big undertaking, and I'm not sure that this is the right answer for that "no 2 kerbal pod" gap in the game, which is what I was looking to fill when I found TRAILS to begin with....

I dunno.  I'm really on the fence.

What re-skins are you using? Custom or downloadable? They look awesome!

• 2 weeks later...

Very cool! One suggestion: The heat shield for the Big G segment is great. It would be awesome if the Gemini heat shield was more like that one, since the fairing on the larger one is so very much nicer than the stock look. 

The issue with the stock heat shields is really the "roll" that is wider than the base of the part it attaches to, which requires that awful stock fairing around it, or you butt the decoupler, but still see the heat shield.

The IVA is great, too, nice work.

Thank you.

Actually the only reason we have the black slim heatshield for the botticelli pod (big G) is because Beale made one.  My goal is stock-alike and since Squad made those heatshields so thick and bulbous, that's what we have.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.