Is 1.2 a stable major release?

Terwin

I was just noticing something.

It has been a couple weeks since 1.2 dropped and I am not seeing anyone with hair on fire crying out that the release is unplayable.

Sure there is some grumbling about wanting mods to be updated, and there are issues with parts of the UI not displaying properly in the VAB/SPH if you have too many part mods or contracts, but in general, I am not seeing much grumbling.  Certainly no where near the level of vocal unhappiness that marked the last two releases.(I joined on 0.90, so I can't speak for earlier releases).

Considering how much of an edge-case some of the 'game breaking' issues were in the past, I can only conclude that this is a pretty stable and robust release.

As a developer, I know that the difficulty of releasing stable and robust software can easily be quadratic, or even exponential based on the complexity of the system, so I must say:

Good job Squad!  

3 hours ago, Terwin said:

Is 1.2 a stable major release?

Yes.

I played the 1.2 prerelease pretty much since the day it went live on Steam. I have never had 1 single crash in KSP since that time, not in the prerelease or the actual 1.2 release, which I have been playing since it came out also.

I've even got several mods installed now & STILL have never crashed. Its definitely the most stable build of KSP I've ever played. The devs did a REALLY nice job this time of listening to everyone who was playing the prerelease & squashing all the bugs in the bug tracker that were found.

Edited by RX2000

Ive had a few crashes, but most of them are because i dont exactly play the game its supposed to be played :).  For starters, having relatively high part counts doesnt help me very much, and two, i tend to do alot of combat, which tends to make the kraken manifest fairly often.  Granted, stability is way better then previous versions, as i either need to summon the kraken or play for very very long time without shutting down the game before i crash.  While there are still plenty of things that can get better, i think the game is considerably better then it was before.

I've had a number of crashes.  The autosave has prevented them from being disastrous.

My crashes have happened on 32bit when opening the map.  I hit M and nothing happens then thinking I don't quite hit M hard enough... I hit it again and crash... 

The last crash report said something about memory out of bounds... so I've switched to 64bit.

Bone stock.  zero mods.

Edited by FITorion

7 hours ago, Terwin said:

I was just noticing something.

It has been a couple weeks since 1.2 dropped and I am not seeing anyone with hair on fire crying out that the release is unplayable.

I'm sure someone will. The stars might not be colored to their liking, rendering the game "broken." The definition some people have of "broken" is amazing. (No, this is not a jab at console players; their version does seem to be broken, based on the complaints).

I would say that 1.2 and the Unity corrections handled a lot of issues.  There's minor items, but it's very stable.

This is how I'd hoped the 1.0 release would be.  It's finally sound enough that I'm getting back to enjoying KSP since 0.90.0 because I'm not frustrated by a thousand different things at once... like wandering orbits and bouncing wheels.

14 minutes ago, justspace103 said:

Well the reason for such a stable release is also because of the people who tested the prerelease and looked for bugs for weeks. Its a great system that squad should continue with for every major release

1.1 had a pre-release too.

Several old bugs are there.

I had to reload a save, as my base overheated. Lost its fuel tanks at another occasion as the docking port had only 400K of thermal durability. It seems moduleCoreHeat can generate heat even when its respective part is entirely switched off - in my case, self-destruct mechanism of my RCS thrusters was doing that, even though it's not to generate a single joule unless I click 'self-destruct'.

The drifting orbit bug stuck badly one time. I had an encounter ready, switched to some other vessel, came back, and saw the trajectory misses the encounter by many kilometers, the orbit of the target lower by good 15km.

Wheel bounce attacked once. I changed wheels on the rover to a different model and it was ok.

Generally, 1.2 is far from perfect, but much better than 1.1.3

Sorry if I am the one to buck the trend but so far this is the most unstable Kerbin I've played. Stock 1.2, not a single mod at all (the usual cause of crashes) and so far I've had two crashes similar to the 32bit memory cap crash. The first just dropped me straight to desk top while landing on the Mun I had the check to run a test on a Science bay which the game decided it didn't like. So I restarted the game in 64bit mod and ended up with the game crashing in a quite an amazing fashion after trying to recover the craft back on Kerbin. The game sat at the black loading screen and point blank refused to allow me to do anything else, alt+tab didn't work was going to force close it via ctrl+alt+tab but as I went to do that the typical Windows this program has stopped working box popped up.

So yeah lots of improvements but no where near a stable game.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.