Is 1.2 a stable major release?

Terwin

1 hour ago, Cheesywotsit said:

Sorry if I am the one to buck the trend but so far this is the most unstable Kerbin I've played. Stock 1.2, not a single mod at all (the usual cause of crashes) and so far I've had two crashes similar to the 32bit memory cap crash. The first just dropped me straight to desk top while landing on the Mun I had the check to run a test on a Science bay which the game decided it didn't like. So I restarted the game in 64bit mod and ended up with the game crashing in a quite an amazing fashion after trying to recover the craft back on Kerbin. The game sat at the black loading screen and point blank refused to allow me to do anything else, alt+tab didn't work was going to force close it via ctrl+alt+tab but as I went to do that the typical Windows this program has stopped working box popped up.

So yeah lots of improvements but no where near a stable game.

Since there don't seem to be a lot of people with this problem:  Have you downloaded a fresh copy of KSP and, either deleting, or moving, your current KSP (or installing the fresh copy elsewhere and running from there to test) just to be sure something didn't go wrong with the upgrade process (or possibly something old hanging around causing problems).  Might be worth a try if not. 

It's been pretty good for me.  I've had some issues with a hiccup every 6-7 seconds, but that didn't appear until I started installing mods, so I'm assuming that it's a mod issue for now...

On 10/25/2016 at 0:16 AM, Kerbart said:

I'm sure someone will. The stars might not be colored to their liking, rendering the game "broken." The definition some people have of "broken" is amazing. (No, this is not a jab at console players; their version does seem to be broken, based on the complaints).

If they're saying, "literally unplayable!" then it could very well just be a meme that's been making it's rounds of the 'net of late.  The stars are 0.02% more blue than they were before!  LITERALLY UNPLAYABLE!!!!!!

12 hours ago, justspace103 said:

Well the reason for such a stable release is also because of the people who tested the prerelease and looked for bugs for weeks. Its a great system that squad should continue with for every major release

I suspect that the high participation of a large slice of the core modding dev community helped too.  Plus it felt less rushed than 1.0 and 1.1...

On 25/10/2016 at 10:02 AM, Terwin said:

It has been a couple weeks since 1.2 dropped and I am not seeing anyone with hair on fire crying out that the release is unplayable.

There are still issues (The part-count UI flicker is pretty annoying, the garbage-collection issue is not fixed, wheels are only semi-fixed, and it still crashes my WM in windowed mode), but I've encountered no seriously game-breaking problems like CTDs or randomly exploding craft... so far anyway.
So my pitchfork is still racked... at least as regards the PC version. Consoles is another matter entirely, but they're still running the old "Hair on fire" version, plus extra special FTE bugs.

38 minutes ago, Renegrade said:

Plus it felt less rushed than 1.0 and 1.1...

Personally, I put it down to this^.
Perhaps perversely, I was not at all pleased when the release date was announced. I thought "here we go again, all the remaining bugs will remain unfixed". But this release is not so bad, and this hat is sort of tasty. :)

For me, it's the opposite. 1.1 was rock-solid for me, mostly thanks to x64 support, but now I have this flickering (even though I've just started a career game and have like 5 parts in all) in the Editor, which is really, really annoying. 

I was sooo close to saying yes but the stuttering issue still remains, might actually be worse than before. 
In all other respects 1.2 is solid, running with several mods installed and it's very stable (I've not had a single crash).  It has a lot of polish compared to previous releases and feels much more complete.  
But this stutter issue....it really.....breaks....the game-play...and immersion.....if the game.....freezes.....every.....few seconds.  That problem really needs to be resolved before I can say KSP is a production-grade stable release.  1.2 is good, great even, but the stuttering overshadows it.

48 minutes ago, katateochi said:

I was sooo close to saying yes but the stuttering issue still remains, might actually be worse than before. 
In all other respects 1.2 is solid, running with several mods installed and it's very stable (I've not had a single crash).  It has a lot of polish compared to previous releases and feels much more complete.  
But this stutter issue....it really.....breaks....the game-play...and immersion.....if the game.....freezes.....every.....few seconds.  That problem really needs to be resolved before I can say KSP is a production-grade stable release.  1.2 is good, great even, but the stuttering overshadows it.

Does this happen to you all the time or just after a while of building? 

Edited by Majorjim!

38 minutes ago, Majorjim! said:

Does this happen to you all the time or just after a while of building? 

It's worse after long building periods (with many launches and reverts), but it's still apparent (just less frequent) when just launching a craft after loading the game.
This seems to be the latest thread on the topic - http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/150620-slight-pause-every-6-10-seconds

I need to pay better attention from now on, but I suspect my RAM usage is increasing ever so slightly over time. Even just watching craft and switching scenes etc. Is this even possible? Talking about a bone stock install here.

At this point its just a suspicion, as I havent checked the exact numbers yet.

26 minutes ago, Dafni said:

I need to pay better attention from now on, but I suspect my RAM usage is increasing ever so slightly over time. Even just watching craft and switching scenes etc. Is this even possible?

It is absolutely possible.  Most seem to have been fixed, but the core game used to be riddled with memory leaks.

Happy landings!

5 hours ago, garwel said:

For me, it's the opposite. 1.1 was rock-solid for me, mostly thanks to x64 support, but now I have this flickering (even though I've just started a career game and have like 5 parts in all) in the Editor, which is really, really annoying. 

Yes. 1.1 was rock solid, most of my 1.2 issues is probably mod related as more mods has issues with 1.2 since its new. 

4 hours ago, katateochi said:

Have same issue, so Im not alone with game stuttering. I was always contemplating it is cpu><ksp related issue with physics, not memory one :/ 

No stutter here. Went away in x64 version after 1.1. 1.2 unmodded is very stable, and I agree the prerelease testing and transparent bug tracking seemed to have made a lot of difference. The atmosphere changes aren't to my liking, many of my rockets flip backwards unless I do ridiculous things with speed control that I never had to do in any previous versions.

7 hours ago, Renegrade said:

If they're saying, "literally unplayable!" then it could very well just be a meme that's been making it's rounds of the 'net of late.  The stars are 0.02% more blue than they were before!  LITERALLY UNPLAYABLE!!!!!!

This could make a fun thread for the Forum Games.

Edit: oh yeah, and I have stutter too. A lot worse than anything I ever experienced so far, even with modded installs.

Edited by Gaarst

35 minutes ago, Hrv123 said:

Have same issue, so Im not alone with game stuttering. I was always contemplating it is cpu><ksp related issue with physics, not memory one :/ 

I had this stutter in 1.1.3 (haven't played 1.2 enough yet) too. Once every 5 seconds or so I had a half-second freeze in flight view.

The game is very stable for me. I have about 20 mods installed and only one crash thus far, and I am pretty sure it is related to the Trajectories mod. I have, however, experienced some small bugs. one, the stock procedural fairings disappear when I open the settings menu and change a setting (any setting from what I can tell). I am also having graphical issues in the VAB (the UI flickers when mousing over certain elements). Otherwise, the game is very stable, 60fps even with demanding graphical mods. Play it!

2 hours ago, CaptainKorhonen said:

If by "stable" you mean "it works like it's supposed to", then no, it definitely isn't. My main gripe with 1.2 is the UI flicker bug that basically makes the VAB and SPH unusable because it's so distracting.

I suspect 1.2.1 will be the next stable release.

the flicker is from too many mods....

18 hours ago, CaptainKorhonen said:

Thank you, captain obvious. Still doesn't change the fact that it's a problem with the game. It's not supposed to do that.

So you add 50 mods to the game and say the game isn't stable because of the devs.... Something is obvious.... #derp 

6 hours ago, JBrown247 said:

So you add 50 mods to the game and say the game isn't stable because of the devs.... Something is obvious.... #derp 

What you're basically saying is "1.2 breaks if you install too many mods so it must be the user's fault even though 1.1.3 didn't break when you installed the same mods". Come on, that's ridiculous and you know it.

A few facts:

• The number of mods required to cause the bug isn't anywhere near 50. In fact, the number of mods seems to have nothing to do with it - it depends on the number of parts. I only run KW Rocketry, NearFuture, KSP Interstellar, Procedural Fairings and Procedural parts, and it's still happening. In terms of part count, that's less than 50% of the stuff I have on my 1.1.3 installation, yet I'm having no problems with that one.
  • It's not caused by a certain mod or even a certain combination of mods. So unless you're suggesting that every single one of the people who develop those mods made the exact same mistake when updating their mod to 1.2 (which, by the way, is extremely unlikely), the only other possibility is that Squad screwed up.
  • AFAIK 1.2pre didn't have the bug. You could fill it with as many 1.2pre compatible mods as you could find and it either worked perfectly or you had a whole different set of problems.

Make of that what you will. Seems pretty clear to me that it's caused by something Squad did between 1.2pre and 1.2.

Edited by CaptainKorhonen

6 minutes ago, CaptainKorhonen said:

What you're basically saying is "1.2 breaks if you install too many mods so it must be the user's fault even though 1.1.3 didn't break when you installed the same mods". Come on, that's ridiculous and you know it.

A few facts:

• The number of mods required to break isn't anywhere near 50. In fact, the number of mods seems to have nothing to do with it - it depends on the number of parts. I only run KW Rocketry, NearFuture, KSP Interstellar, Procedural Fairings and Procedural parts, and it's still happening. In terms of part count, that's less than 50% of the stuff I have on my 1.1.3 installation, yet I'm having no problems with that one.
  • It's not caused by a certain mod or even a certain combination of mods. So unless you're suggesting that every single one of the people who develop those mods made the exact same mistake (which, by the way, is extremely unlikely), the only other possibility is that Squad screwed up.
  • AFAIK 1.2pre didn't have the bug. You could fill it with as many 1.2pre compatible mods as you could find and it either worked perfectly or you had a whole different set of problems.

Make of that what you will. Seems pretty clear to me that it's caused by something Squad did between 1.2pre and 1.2.

LMAO ... 'installing mods broke my game' 

Yup ... has to be what squad did as it could never have anything to do with mods, even if they haven't been updated to 1.2 (mods should just work regardless if they've been updated and recompiled)

- I hope everyone can see the sarcasm dripping from what I said

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.