Cockpit Point of View

Rezolution

As someone who likes flying aircraft/spaceplanes from inside the cockpit, I am not enjoying the higher IVA point of view since the release of 1.2. In order to keep the instrument panel in view, you have to angle the camera down quite a bit and zoom out to nearly max for all airplane cockpit types, which just feels awkward to me.

So, here's my question. How difficult would it be to mod the .craft files in order to lower the default point of view in the cockpits? Where would one start? I wouldn't mind giving it a go, however I have never before modded anything in Kerbal and might need a little guidance. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Edited by Rezolution

5 hours ago, Rezolution said:

As someone who likes flying aircraft/spaceplanes from inside the cockpit, I am not enjoying the higher IVA point of view since the release of 1.2. In order to keep the instrument panel in view, you have to angle the camera down quite a bit and zoom out to nearly max for all airplane cockpit types, which just feels awards to me.

So, here's my question. How difficult would it be to mod the .craft files in order to lower the default point of view in the cockpits? Where would one start? I wouldn't mind giving it a go, however I have never before modded anything in Kerbal and might need a little guidance. 

Thank you!

Hi, How hard is it to change viewpoint by editing craft files,, pretty impossible i reckon ( though as is the way someone'll turn up and tell you different)  I've just checked the Kerbal eva cfg;''s that arrived in 1.2 and they have no eye line reference that  will produce the desired result either

So the  only way i know  to alter the view point would be to alter the seating position transform in the IVA model,  that's a unity job , it is i believe still possible to offset the iva via cfg, but it's been a while since I've seen a reference anywhere,  but if you move the IVA then it has a good chance of looking bad from IVA as nothing will line up correctly, screen edges etc.  Another problem  too, and that is moving the kerbal down in the cockpit (given that the eye line is fixed to said Kerbal)  will result in the Kerb appearing to clip through the panels and controls . it's not an exact science as to positioning and usually takes a few tries to get it spot on, so guesstimates are not usually going to work out too well.

16 hours ago, Rezolution said:

As someone who likes flying aircraft/spaceplanes from inside the cockpit, I am not enjoying the higher IVA point of view since the release of 1.2. In order to keep the instrument panel in view, you have to angle the camera down quite a bit and zoom out to nearly max for all airplane cockpit types, which just feels awards to me.

Thank you!

Ok I knew there was a config setting for this but the first few I checked in the Squad folder didn't have it so I thought maybe it had been removed or changed to an internal setting with v1.2 - then I remembered to dig up the last post where I answered this type of question and opened the stock config file I referenced there and hey - looks like some internal configs just opt not to use it. Okay.

So long story short you want to add kerbalEyeOffset = 0, 0, 0 to the InternalSeat module and tweak that setting (x,y,z motion I would assume). For an example look at the Squad/Spaces/MK3CockpitInternal/internal_MK3.cfg file

My MM-fu isn't strong enough to work up a patch syntax without a lot of experimentation I don't have time for right now, some one else will come along for that I would hope

Edited by Drew Kerman

Thanks guys! 

7 hours ago, Drew Kerman said:

Ok I knew there was a config setting for this but the first few I checked in the Squad folder didn't have it so I thought maybe it had been removed or changed to an internal setting with v1.2 - then I remembered to dig up the last post where I answered this type of question and opened the stock config file I referenced there and hey - looks like some internal configs just opt not to use it. Okay.

So long story short you want to add kerbalEyeOffset = 0, 0, 0 to the InternalSeat module and tweak that setting (x,y,z motion I would assume). For an example look at the Squad/Spaces/MK3CockpitInternal/internal_MK3.cfg file

My MM-fu isn't strong enough to work up a patch syntax without a lot of experimentation I don't have time for right now, some one else will come along for that I would hope

I was hoping there may be some function like this inside the config file somewhere. I'll take a look myself and see what I can find. Thanks for the info. 

I appreciate the help and please let me know if you think of anything else. 

That was perfect advice @Drew Kerman. Found the function in the spaces folder just you mentioned. Looks like this:

MODULE
    {
        name = InternalSeat
        seatTransformName = Seat1
        portraitCameraName = CockpitCam
        allowCrewHelmet = false
        kerbalEyeOffset = 0, 0.02, 0

I changed the Y value to .003 and I think that will work for me (at least on the MK1 cockpit. Haven't tried the others yet).

Thanks again!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.