Building Haven

Elmetian

Ladies and gents, allow me to present Haven Station!

Click for larger image:

FfODUe8.png

Damn, I guess it's been a long time since I shared anything here. I used to be a much more active contributor but life happened and reddit seemed to be easier to access in my limited free time. I've been sharing craft and producing videos and imgur galleries very sporadically since then, but I'd like to start posting content a little more frequently if I can.

Haven Station is an ongoing project. It's already been built in the VAB, and I've hyperedited it into space run simulations a few times to make sure the design is viable. So far I've only sent up a few pieces, but I'm trying to properly document each launch in a short YouTube video. Let me know what you think and how I could improve:

Edited by Elmetian

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/27/2016 at 7:46 PM, Ultimate Steve said:

Now that is a huge station...

Thanks! This is actually on the smaller side compared to the few space stations I've built in the past. I wanted it to be easy to put up in 5 or 6 launches at most, and focussing on functionality more than aesthetics.

I've just uploaded the third mission where I install the first 4 truss segments with radiators on. Next launch will probably be either the lab or the solar array trusses, though I kinda want to send up the CRV next even though it's not technically part of the build:

o7IpCLZ.jpg

Edited by Elmetian
spelling...

• 1 month later...

It's the Christmas holidays, and finally I have enough time to edit another video.

For anyone who's interested, it takes about 8 hours to capture the footage and do multiple test renders to fix issues like dead frames. I'm a massive perfectionist so that doesn't help. It's much simpler to spend a full day editing rather than spreading the work out, and normally I'm too busy with work to commit that much time to something. Somewhat annoyingly, Youtube has blocked the video on the mobile app and site due to the copyrighted track, but you should be able to view it by switching to 'desktop' view on your mobile phone.

Anyway, hope you like it!

Edited by Elmetian

• 3 months later...

Finally found the time to update to 1.2.2 and get all the graphics mods working properly. I've also spent a lot of time fiddling with my shuttle to make it more economical by swapping the two LFO engines around so that the expensive 'Vector' engine was on the shuttle, and not on the external fuel tank. I've attempted to make the EFT recoverable as well but it takes a LOT of chutes to stop it from hitting the water too hard and they ruin the aesthetics.

You might also notice the the station is looking a little different to the picture in my first post. I re-designed the truss to bring the part count down, as well as allowing several parts to fit inside the shuttle's cargo bay to reduce the number of launches.

Bonus points to anyone who can spot Haven's shadow in the last part of the video!

Edited by Elmetian

• 4 months later...

After a ton of tinkering and eventually finding the time to put together a youtube video, the Minnow Crew Return Vehicle is finally ready.

It's 90% recoverable, the exception being the fairings and the 2nd stage service module. The 1st stage lands on the peninsula East of the KSC, and the CRV itself glides back before deploying parachutes above its landing site.

• 1 month later...

Awww, my little ISS knockoff is nearing completion! I'll have to start building something else soon.

In this video I add some storage tanks with oxygen, water and food before I enable the TAC Life Support mod, as well as waste storage and some LFO:

• 5 months later...

It's been a busy few months, but I'm finally getting back to my little LKO station. In this video I send a recoverable resupply craft to the station to make sure they don't starve now that I've got TAC life support running.

Edited by Elmetian

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.