Option to change suspension settings in the field

Hi all,

In testing my Curiosity rover I came across the need to change suspension settings when in-game. I had to change the damper strength due to a wheel bug that broke the wheels when the heat-shield deployed. I had to lower the damper strength which worked in stopping the wheels from breaking but is less than perfect for higher speed roving on Duna. 

Why cannot we have the option to change wheel damper and other settings when 'in the field'? We can change some settings so it's not a realism issue it seems just like a lack of options.

What say you? It would be great to be able to change full wheel settings on the fly like that as situations change a lot when out there in the solar system. :)

Edited by Majorjim!

1 hour ago, KayBee said:

Yes i know it will be really helpful if we are able to change these settings and adapt them to the surface we land on but wont this make the game less realistic?

No. We can already change the wheels grip levels Ect, on the fly, changing suspension settings is more realistic than having magical control over the wheels grip levels. :-)

6 minutes ago, Majorjim! said:

No. We can already change the wheels grip levels Ect, on the fly, changing suspension settings is more realistic than having magical control over the wheels grip levels. :-)

IMO we should be able to change all parameters, but only using Kerbal engineers, it would solve the problem and be realistic :wink:

Excellent Majorjim! I wanted to start this topic as well.

Not only spring & shock settings (and we're missing bump & rebound shock adjustables, badly!) but ride height as well.

@KayBee changing suspension settings is way more realistic than changing grip. Adjustable tyres are still prototypes and the only way of changing grip is to change tyre temperature and pressure. Meanwhile we've had adjustable suspension in cars since 1955.

On 25.10.2016 at 9:57 PM, Majorjim! said:

That is so true. And like @Azimech said, rebound etc would be nice too, and spring pre-load (ride height) would just be awesome. But these things are maybe asking a bit much from a space game... so lets say sliders in the field for all the available parameters to date, please, in the next patch. Thank you Squad.

On 10/25/2016 at 3:06 PM, Darnok said:

IMO we should be able to change all parameters, but only using Kerbal engineers, it would solve the problem and be realistic :wink:

Yep.  That's what I was going to say.  More EVA activities is always a good thing.

Edited by klgraham1013

On 10/25/2016 at 3:55 PM, KayBee said:

Yes i know it will be really helpful if we are able to change these settings and adapt them to the surface we land on but wont this make the game less realistic?

Nothing all that unrealistic about it, some modern real life suspensions can be adjusted on the fly or even adjusted electronically in real time. 

2 hours ago, Red Iron Crown said:

Nothing all that unrealistic about it, some modern real life suspensions can be adjusted on the fly or even adjusted electronically in real time. 

Yes, most adjustable car suspensions are electrical controlled. mostly stiffness and ride height. 
traction is mostly an matter of wheel design, an high traction tire will have lower top speed, its not something you can change easy. 

Well i never said its not possible but they will be a lot complicated and thus much heavy to be used for smaller rovers(maybe in the future it will be possible). In ksp however I suggest it to be only avialabe in RovMax XL3 or TR-2L Wheels(cause they unlock at later stages in tech tree) and also only possible with help of engineers. This would keep it more real.

2 minutes ago, KayBee said:

Well i never said its not possible but they will be a lot complicated and thus much heavy to be used for smaller rovers(maybe in the future it will be possible). In ksp however I suggest it to be only avialabe in RovMax XL3 or TR-2L Wheels(cause they unlock at later stages in tech tree) and also only possible with help of engineers. This would keep it more real.

My own car has adjustable suspension, it was introduced in 1982. Base version has a mass of 870kg while being larger than other cars in it's class. So the argument it would be too heavy ... not true. Complicated? Depends on your standard. And if any person with a drivers license can adjust the suspension of his/her car with the touch of a button or changing a lever, why on Earth would it be restricted to engineers?

So in my opinion this is a big no.

7 minutes ago, Azimech said:

My own car has adjustable suspension, it was introduced in 1982. Base version has a mass of 870kg while being larger than other cars in it's class. So the argument it would be too heavy ... not true. Complicated?

I think you missed a point. I said they will be heavy and complicated to be used for "small rovers". Designing adjustable suspension system for a small RC car and an actual car will be different and you know which will be difficult. Its possible to make adjustible suspension system for rc car but its not really not feasible.

Also i want engineers to do it because i just want them to do more things in ksp.

Just now, KayBee said:

I think you missed a point. I said they will be heavy and complicated to be used for "small rovers". Designing adjustable suspension system for a small RC car and an actual car will be different and you know which will be difficult. Its possible to make adjustible suspension system for rc car but its not really not feasible.

Also i want engineers to do it because i just want them to do more things in ksp.

Actually for a small RC car it's a thousand times easier than for a real car. If I sit together an evening with my mate the RC car man, we'll have developed a system for changing spring rate and/or ride height, using servo's and levers. Changing the shocks can be done using electromagnets. I see the system coming into existence in my mind right now. Good thing I'm not interested in RC.

Coding the arduino would take the most time.

3 minutes ago, Azimech said:

Actually for a small RC car it's a thousand times easier than for a real car. If I sit together an evening with my mate the RC car man, we'll have developed a system for changing spring rate and/or ride height, using servo's and levers. Changing the shocks can be done using electromagnets. I see the system coming into existence in my mind right now. Good thing I'm not interested in RC.

Coding the arduino would take the most time.

But do you really need a adjustable suspension system to play with a rc car?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.