is it better to go in a polar orbit or normal orbit?

41 minutes ago, WyattNelsonGames said:

so i thought to myself should people for there first orbit do a normal equatorial orbit or go polar in career mode?

I don't see any benefits at all to going polar first, except if you have already upgraded to enable EVAs and you want to get an EVA report above every biome. Other than that, it's all negatives.

If you're going to Minmus, your best launch is into Minmus's orbital plane. If you have to choose between polar and equatorial, equatorial is closer. Less DV to correct for inclination.

Usually though, your first orbital launch isn't going to Minmus. It's just orbit and recover.

Either way, equatorial is the better option.

Best,
-Slashy

Edited by GoSlash27

Just now, GoSlash27 said:

If you're going to Minmus, your best launch is into Minmus's orbital plane. If you have to choose between polar and equatorial, polar is closer. Less DV to correct for inclination.

Usually though, your first orbital launch isn't going to Minmus. It's just orbit and recover.

Either way, equatorial is the better option.

Best,
-Slashy

thanks 

18 minutes ago, WyattNelsonGames said:

but what if your going to minmus

Still better to start from an equatorial orbit. If you're orbiting in roughly the same plane as the target you'll have a transfer window every orbit, if you're in a polar orbit you'll only have two transfer windows for each orbital period of that moon.

1 hour ago, Reactordrone said:

Still better to start from an equatorial orbit. If you're orbiting in roughly the same plane as the target you'll have a transfer window every orbit, if you're in a polar orbit you'll only have two transfer windows for each orbital period of that moon.

Agreed.  Savings from a polar orbit is small and generally not worth the launch window troubles. Besides the infrequent windows, it's also pretty hard to tell when to launch from polar.  You may have to click that "next orbit" button a lot of times...

Eventually, for asteroid intercepts and maybe Moho, it's good to get familiar with how to launch into an alternative orbit.  But not a high priority early game skill.

Edited by Aegolius13

6 hours ago, WyattNelsonGames said:

but what if your going to minmus

You get a 175 m/s (I think) boost going equatorial rather than going polar.

No matter where Minmus is, if you burn out on Kerbin's equatorial plane to an Ap of about 46,000km and then do a correction burn halfway there to get a Minmus encounter, it'll cost you about 50 m/s, maybe 80 m/s on a bad day.

So I'm still not seeing any positives for a polar orbit : D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.