[1.3] REKT Escape Pod Mod - v0.4.5.1 (more fixes)

steedcrugeon

When I was balancing them (to my taste - may not be your's) I had half emptied the mono in those that had it and added the PPR to the KIS and freight pods and the parachute to the A, Freight and KIS pods. Also added buoyancy to the D pod though it probably doesn't make sense. The freight and KIS pods were empty and float higher with these numbers.

buoyancy
rektmk1a    1.59
rektmk1n    0.84
rektmk1d    0.65
freightPod  0.70
kisPod        0.45

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, steedcrugeon said:

release for v0.4.1 is now out. I would greatly appreciated feedback in the development thread as these parts have had less testing than previous ones due to time constraints.

Sorry I haven't done as much testing on the dev versions as I'd hoped.  I'll take a look at the released versions as I have a chance as well.  Glad to see some buoyancy fixes in the release.  :wink:

My point is, I didn't understand because it's not written out that it needs it. It looks like it's literally just named "Cryo Pod" but has 0 cryo functionality. Honestly I still don't understand. I've seen other mods label stuff that makes you think it can do something, but in reality, is just an empty tube or a basic command pod.

Going to feedback. The airbrake and elevron for the OTAV, break them into seperate pieces. I mean by that, cut them in half. Add another node to the top for two seperate airbrakes, and then cut the elevron on the bottom in half (already two nodes there). Maybe add some small control surface to the winglets that only activate when deployed? (currently testing with the Retractable Lifting mod installed)

The Cryo pod doesn't have the energy storage for freezing a kerbal? I'm using stock settings across the board right now.

Miniature parachutes don't function either.

Finished testing, definitly need better control surfaces on the OTAV. Cryo pod is decent to use for long haul transits, using them to store frozen kerbals for easy discharge from vessel if there's an emergency.

Edited by Jivaii

@Jivaii - Some useful feedback there, If i may offer some responses:

OTAV - With the most recent release of the retractable lifting surface module i can now look to add control surfaces to the winglets (the latest release toggles the control surfaces with the deployment of the lifting surface). I'm curious as to what benefit you can see into splitting the airbrake into two though? I'll look into splitting the 'Flap' into 2 and see how it behaves.

Cryo Pod - I'm still trying to figure out how I can consistently get this to behave as I want (It is supposed to be a 'one-shot' freeze when its stand-alone and not be able to thaw out be itself. I want to keep the 3000 EC freeze/thaw but not have to give the pod a 3000 EC 'internal battery' as well as the RTG). 
The long haul transit you are using them for is the sort of use i had envisaged. 

Miniparachutes - This is a new one on me, they worked in the last release. Do you have RealChute installed? In what way are they not working?

Post changelog - Sorry about the skant notes on this one, I was pushing the release at about 1 in the morning so I didn't add all the notes I probably should have, I'll fix that now. 

5 hours ago, steedcrugeon said:

@Jivaii - Some useful feedback there, If i may offer some responses:

OTAV - With the most recent release of the retractable lifting surface module i can now look to add control surfaces to the winglets (the latest release toggles the control surfaces with the deployment of the lifting surface). I'm curious as to what benefit you can see into splitting the airbrake into two though? I'll look into splitting the 'Flap' into 2 and see how it behaves.

Cryo Pod - I'm still trying to figure out how I can consistently get this to behave as I want (It is supposed to be a 'one-shot' freeze when its stand-alone and not be able to thaw out be itself. I want to keep the 3000 EC freeze/thaw but not have to give the pod a 3000 EC 'internal battery' as well as the RTG). 
The long haul transit you are using them for is the sort of use i had envisaged. 

Miniparachutes - This is a new one on me, they worked in the last release. Do you have RealChute installed? In what way are they not working?

Post changelog - Sorry about the skant notes on this one, I was pushing the release at about 1 in the morning so I didn't add all the notes I probably should have, I'll fix that now. 

OTAV - for splitting the airbrake, you can possibly gain some yaw control. One side raises, causing more drag on that side, and the craft turns. I was having issues with that during testing and use.

Cryo Pod - Maybe reach out and see if the Deep Freeze author knows of a way that you can make a one time "emergency" freeze potential?

Miniparachutes - No, I don't have RealChute installed. Looking in the OP, I don't see mention of it?

New small gripe, I noticed the retro-rocket pod wasn't deploying when I'd select for it to deploy. Is there a dependency there? I got the mod from the GitHub master if that helps any?

@Jivaii OTAV - Ah i see, yes yaw control was/is a bit of an issue at the minute, the pilot is quite reliant on SAS at the minute. I have reserved space on the part for some other control surfaces. I wanted the keep the large single airbrake because it produces some good drag in a specifically localised point (in the game engine). If i split it into two for extra control surfaces it could unbalance the drag in generates. In my minimal testing i found it helped stabilise the craft and keep the heat shield part pointed down as it hits the atmosphere.

mk1D - If the Landertron Mod is installed the 'arm' function of Landertron overrides the pod's normal 'deploy' button. Arming the pod will deploy the rockets and 'activate engine' will override the Landertron module and fire the engine.

mk1C - There is potential that the DeepFreeze mod could be re-written to allows a sort of 'one-shot' functionality but it really would be me asking him to re-write a very large part of the already existing mod for the purposes of a single part. Given DeepFreeze's it's current user base i don;t think its very fair (or realistic) of me to try and put forward such a request, especially when the current author of the DeepFreeze mod is busy with more central KSP issues  (he is one of the Squad staff). Rest assured I am trying to achieve a solution that doesn't make the cryo pod overly powerful.

Miniature parachute - I have found the cause, it's the RealChute patch. the Module manage patch top line reads 

@PART[ramp]:FOR[RealChute]

It should actually read as this:

@PART[ramp]:NEEDS[RealChute]

The the miniature parachute should function as intended. I will put out an update shortly to push this fix.

@steedcrugeon

I've taken to using the capacitors from near future electrical to boost the power on the mk1C. As for the OTAV re-entry, I haven't had any issues getting her to come in during the burn, but when it gets down near the ground with the lower speed, the lack of yaw control is horrible for me.

I'm using realchutes now, but since I'm in career now, it'll be a bit before I use one of your pods (I'm getting ready to put up a small three man station in LKO, I think they need an emergency escape system =D)

On a side note, would it be possible to get a larger version of the tri-decoupler that could be used with OTAVs? I'm really liking those, despite the yaw issue I was having (I "fixed" it on my side by adding trunk fins from a SpaceX type mod, it gives it much better yaw control, and doesn't float off the heading I set now)

Edited by Jivaii

1 hour ago, Jivaii said:

On a side note, would it be possible to get a larger version of the tri-decoupler that could be used with OTAVs? I'm really liking those, despite the yaw issue I was having (I "fixed" it on my side by adding trunk fins from a SpaceX type mod, it gives it much better yaw control, and doesn't float off the heading I set now)

I would be interested to see your configuration of an OTAV to see where you put the yaw control elements.

I am currently working on another part mod (separate from REKT, but developed from OTAV ideals). The OTAV wasn't designed to use a triple adapter* like the REKT pods but I can look into it.

Spoiler

*The OTAV was planned to have a bespoke Docking port in a similar vain to how the Jedi fighter attaches to it's ring:

latest?cb=20120923045021

3 hours ago, steedcrugeon said:

I would be interested to see your configuration of an OTAV to see where you put the yaw control elements.

I am currently working on another part mod (separate from REKT, but developed from OTAV ideals). The OTAV wasn't designed to use a triple adapter* like the REKT pods but I can look into it.

Gladly, I'm adding screenshots of it. All I'm using are stabilizer type deals, no active yaw control surfaces.

In reference to your idea for the new part, I have saved, a folding warp wing, that worked with the old Interstellar mod. Might give you a decent base to start off of? I had to up the power capacity of the mk1c so that I can put more charge into it from the stored charge capacitor to freeze the kerbal. I might see about making an MM patch to add a stored charge to the mk1c pod.

QN5jB26

khOSJow

J2003dh

kjYb2Ip

Edited by Jivaii

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.