[1.3] REKT Escape Pod Mod - v0.4.5.1 (more fixes)

steedcrugeon

• 4 weeks later...

Excellent job at these REKT pods! Also, if you can, add a SpaceDock description so people who find it on SpaceDock can read it and see that this is a really useful mod.

EDIT: Mk1a seems to not be heat resistant enough, it exploded on reentry. :(

EDIT 2: Trying it again with 0.625m heatshield.

EDIT 3: Still exploded. :(

EDIT 4 (hopefully the last one :wink: ) Oops, I think the problem stems from the fact I installed it wrong.

EDIT 5: Making the pods manned (except for the cryopod) because it just makes more sense.

Edited by TDplay

59 minutes ago, TDplay said:

EDIT: Mk1a seems to not be heat resistant enough, it exploded on reentry. :(

EDIT 2: Trying it again with 0.625m heatshield.

EDIT 3: Still exploded. :(

At what speed, on what planet, with what mods?

I just deorbited one from 85km to Kerbin with only the parachute attached yesterday, no problems.  I did some testing today and deorbited one from 255km without the airbrakes plus a direct Mun to 30km periapse on Kerbin and deorbited fine with the airbrakes.

28 minutes ago, DStaal said:

I think unmanned makes more sense - Escape pods should be able to provide their functionality to anyone who gets into them, not just to pilots.  :wink:

Oh, now I see, thanks for pointing that one out. :wink:

EDIT: "Evacuate!" "But Sir, I'm no pilot!"

16 minutes ago, overkill13 said:

At what speed, on what planet, with what mods?

I just deorbited one from 85km to Kerbin with only the parachute attached yesterday, no problems.  I did some testing today and deorbited one from 255km without the airbrakes plus a direct Mun to 30km periapse on Kerbin and deorbited fine with the airbrakes.

I was on Kerbin, in LKO, and it was at 2km/s+ and not decelerating at all, even with airbrakes. It didn't even clear the dark blue bit of the atmospheric meter before it went BANG.

Mods:

Spoiler

USItools, At_Utils, Better Burn Time, CommunityCategoryKit, CommunityResourcePack, CommunityTechTree, Firespitter, Hangar Extender, HideEmptyTechTreeNodes, Infinity Spaceflight(my own mod that adds a few things) , Inline Radiators (again, my own mod), Interstellar Fuel Switch, KAS, Kerbal Joint Reinforcement, KIS, Landertron, MJ, Mk2 expansion, Mk3 expansion, MRS, Near Future Props, Retractable Lifting Surface, REKT, SpaceY heavy lifters and expanded and Stockalike Station Parts Expansion.

I doubt any of those affect this mod's 1A capsule.

Edited by TDplay
humour

1 hour ago, TDplay said:

17 minutes ago, TDplay said:

Reveal hidden contents

USItools, At_Utils, Better Burn Time, CommunityCategoryKit, CommunityResourcePack, CommunityTechTree, Firespitter, Hangar Extender, HideEmptyTechTreeNodes, Infinity Spaceflight(my own mod that adds a few things) , Inline Radiators (again, my own mod), Interstellar Fuel Switch, KAS, Kerbal Joint Reinforcement, KIS, Landertron, MJ, Mk2 expansion, Mk3 expansion, MRS, Near Future Props, Retractable Lifting Surface, REKT, SpaceY heavy lifters and expanded and Stockalike Station Parts Expansion.

I doubt any of those affect this mod's 1A capsule.

I can't imagine any of them changing anything.  I don't know what to tell ya, it's working great for me

Yup! It's because I installed it wrong, putting the whole thing in GameData and not the two folders that you're meant to. Sorry to bother you. Seriously, who'd've thought that installing it wrong would lead to it not working :/ Anyway, it works now :D , and I forgot to add parachutes on the nice ADD PARACHUTES HERE place so Jeb is kinda doomed anyway. Oops! :sticktongue: Sorry Jeb.

2nm3vwk.png

The ecsape pod on its merry way down onto Kerbin's waters :) (that was another test after the first one blew up and was reverted to VAB, this time I remembered the parachute)

Edited by TDplay

Next time someone complains about 1As blowing up, tell them to check they installed it correctly :D

Also, setting them to manned and putting a non-pilot in gives "Partial Crew Control" with all functionality except making and editing maneuver nodes.

And note to the mod maker (name slipped my mind), I don't know if this is intentional, but it appears in the unedited version of this mod, the cryopod is manned. That makes the least sense of them all. :confused:

34 minutes ago, TDplay said:

Wow, the IVAs look uncomfortable.

More comfortable than breathing vacuum.  :wink:

Escape pods/life rafts/emergency shelters are rarely comfortable.  They are efficient for their purpose, and try to take as little space from the actual purpose of the ship/vehicle they are attached to as possible.

Just now, DStaal said:

More comfortable than breathing vacuum.  :wink:

Escape pods/life rafts/emergency shelters are rarely comfortable.  They are efficient for their purpose, and try to take as little space from the actual purpose of the ship/vehicle they are attached to as possible.

I know they're uncomfortable on purpose, you wouldn't make an escape pod like a five-star hotel that's even bigger than the rocket/station! :D

Station out of Life Support? Get REKT, bro!

16 hours ago, TDplay said:

Also, setting them to manned and putting a non-pilot in gives "Partial Crew Control" with all functionality except making and editing maneuver nodes.

Interesting, I will have to investigate this further. I was of the assumption that you got no control with 'tourists' etc.

And note to the mod maker (name slipped my mind), I don't know if this is intentional, but it appears in the unedited version of this mod, the cryopod is manned. That makes the least sense of them all. :confused:

The cryopod only really makes sense if you are running DeepFreeze. This is because the entire premise of the pod is that the occupant is wholly reliant on being rescued from interstellar space. I may implement a MM patch in the next one which effectively makes the pod invisible to those who don't have DeepFreeze installed.

OK, after testing OTAV, I find it needs roll control (without reaction wheels, those take too much EC)

Yes you are correct, this is similar to the feedback I received from @Jivaii who has been instrumental in shaping the OTAV's assorted components. I can implement this through the latest version of @linuxgurugamer's Retractable Lifting Surface however that would mean you (the player) would have to toggle the folding wings separately (or action group them together) as currently I can only add one control surface to a RetractableLiftingSurface. What are your thoughts on the matter?

On 1/19/2017 at 5:39 AM, steedcrugeon said:

The mk1c is supposed to be fulfilling the role as the CryoPod. What I haven't probably made clear enough in the release thread is that it's compatible with DeepFreeze which is where the plugins that takes care of the cryogenics resides. The CryoPod should be fully compatible, it does have teething problems at the minute (I still haven't figured a tidy way for getting it the 'one-shot' freeze the kerbal post jettison).

If you have downloaded the v0.4.3 release the pod should be available in the VAB with the rest of the cryogenic parts (DeepFreeze adds an extra and that's where the pod can be found). If you are having issues with it post v0.4.3 please send me a log file and I'll see if that has any clues.

TAC LS patch re-write is still to follow, it's on my to-do list.

Thx bud, this will help make the Emergency situ a lot more fun now.

Priciate it

The easiest way to work the Cryopod is simply to expect the ship it is attached to have the EC to freeze the Kerbal before ejecting.  If they are used as cryo-chambers for a long trip with the option to eject in an emergency then the Kerbals will have been frozen before hand and if the crew is operating the ship and using cryopods as an escape option which allows Kerbin the time to send a rescue ship, then the crew could just be frozen immediately before ejection.  I don't feel the pods themselves need to carry the freezing charge.

My tweaking of the TAC-LS MM patches has caused all command pods with a required pilot to be given additional EC to run life support (the original TAC-LS setup only adds EC to the stock pods).  The OTAV has 330EC (for comparison the Mk1 Pod is given 300) and can land on the runway from orbit no problem.  Starting over KSC in a circular 100km orbit, I orbited around to the desert, performed a deorbit burn, purposely overshot the runway and performed a descending half loop (split-s) to return and land on the runway with 203EC remaining.  Add some EC to the OTAV and let the reaction wheel do the maneuvering. 160-200 should probably be enough considering I lose some EC to the life support system with TAC-LS.

Heres a TAC-LS patch if you want.  6 days food and waste on the 1a and 1n and 30 days on the 1d.  Since the Cryopod and OTAV require a pilot they get 3 days through the patch included with TAC-LS.  Add a TacLifeSupport dependency because my attempts to do so have always failed so I gave up on it.

EDIT: Added EC patches for OTAV and Cryopod as basic TAC-LS only gives additional EC to stock pods, but food etc resources to all pods which require a pilot.

@PART[rektmk1a]
{
	@RESOURCE[ElectricCharge]
	{
		@name = ElectricCharge
		@amount = 325
		@maxAmount = 325
	}
	RESOURCE
	{
		name = Food
		amount = 2.2
		maxAmount = 2.2
	}

RESOURCE
	{
		name = Water
		amount = 1.46
		maxAmount = 1.46
	}

RESOURCE
	{
		name = Oxygen
		amount = 222.08
		maxAmount = 222.08
	}
	RESOURCE
	{
		name = Waste
		amount = 0
		maxAmount = 0.2
	}

RESOURCE
	{
		name = WasteWater
		amount = 0
		maxAmount = 1.848
	}

RESOURCE
	{
		name = CarbonDioxide
		amount = 0
		maxAmount = 191.826
	}
}

@PART[rektmk1n]
{
	{
		@name = ElectricCharge
		@amount = 330
		@maxAmount = 330
	}
	RESOURCE
	{
		name = Food
		amount = 2.2
		maxAmount = 2.2
	}

RESOURCE
	{
		name = Water
		amount = 1.46
		maxAmount = 1.46
	}

RESOURCE
	{
		name = Oxygen
		amount = 222.08
		maxAmount = 222.08
	}
	RESOURCE
	{
		name = Waste
		amount = 0
		maxAmount = 0.2
	}

RESOURCE
	{
		name = WasteWater
		amount = 0
		maxAmount = 1.848
	}

RESOURCE
	{
		name = CarbonDioxide
		amount = 0
		maxAmount = 191.826
	}
}

@PART[rektmk1d]
{
	{
		@name = ElectricCharge
		@amount = 645
		@maxAmount = 645
	}
	RESOURCE
	{
		name = Food
		amount = 11
		maxAmount = 11
	}

RESOURCE
	{
		name = Water
		amount = 7.3
		maxAmount = 7.3
	}

RESOURCE
	{
		name = Oxygen
		amount = 1110.4
		maxAmount = 1110.4
	}
	RESOURCE
	{
		name = Waste
		amount = 0
		maxAmount = 1
	}

RESOURCE
	{
		name = WasteWater
		amount = 0
		maxAmount = 9.24
	}

RESOURCE
	{
		name = CarbonDioxide
		amount = 0
		maxAmount = 959.13
	}
}
@PART[rektCryoPod]
{
	{
		@name = ElectricCharge
		@amount = 330
		@maxAmount = 330
	}
}
@PART[rektOTAVcore]
{
	{
		@name = ElectricCharge
		@amount = 330
		@maxAmount = 330
	}
}

Edited by overkill13

7 hours ago, steedcrugeon said:

Interesting, I will have to investigate this further. I was of the assumption that you got no control with 'tourists' etc.

The cryopod only really makes sense if you are running DeepFreeze. This is because the entire premise of the pod is that the occupant is wholly reliant on being rescued from interstellar space. I may implement a MM patch in the next one which effectively makes the pod invisible to those who don't have DeepFreeze installed.

Yes you are correct, this is similar to the feedback I received from @Jivaii who has been instrumental in shaping the OTAV's assorted components. I can implement this through the latest version of @linuxgurugamer's Retractable Lifting Surface however that would mean you (the player) would have to toggle the folding wings separately (or action group them together) as currently I can only add one control surface to a RetractableLiftingSurface. What are your thoughts on the matter?

So, you can add a control surface to retractable lifting surfaces? Can you make a variant of the wings, but with control surfaces? (like Delta Deluxe Winglets, but retractable)

1 hour ago, overkill13 said:

I don't feel the pods themselves need to carry the freezing charge.

I think they need either the thawing EC (but not the freezing Glykerol) or only enough EC storage to sustain them and a docking port (for a ship to deliver thawing EC)

24 minutes ago, DStaal said:

I think they should be able to do the freeze by themselves, but not the thaw.  :wink:

(And my suggested fix requires a fix in DeepFreeze - it worked in KSP 1.1.3, but not in 1.2's version of DeepFreeze.)

I guess all different people have all different views! The problem is they'd need docking ports in order to retrieve crew, and also, if I understand DeepFreeze right, you can't make it freeze but not thaw because the EC requirement is the same for freezing and thawing. I may be wrong.

4 minutes ago, TDplay said:

I guess all different people have all different views! The problem is they'd need docking ports in order to retrieve crew, and also, if I understand DeepFreeze right, you can't make it freeze but not thaw because the EC requirement is the same for freezing and thawing. I may be wrong.

Docking ports I'm willing to work around - the claw will work to attach, and you can then power things up and EVA.

In the previous version of DeepFreeze you could accumulate the EC over time for freezing/thawing - I have a patch someplace around here which added in a one-shot generator that could generate that EC in a quick burst.  It didn't technically prohibit you from thawing them - but you could freeze them in a few seconds, while to thaw you'd need to have them focused for a couple of hours of game-time, in at best physics warp.

(An alternative to talk to the DeepFreeze maintainers about would be to require the *thaw* to use a small amount of Glycerol - then if you only had enough for a freeze you'd be in a one-way stop.)

10 hours ago, steedcrugeon said:

I'd be ok with two separate folding wings. You easily have enough time upon hitting the atmosphere to deploy two individual wings.

On 2/15/2017 at 4:34 PM, DStaal said:

Docking ports I'm willing to work around - the claw will work to attach, and you can then power things up and EVA.

In the previous version of DeepFreeze you could accumulate the EC over time for freezing/thawing - I have a patch someplace around here which added in a one-shot generator that could generate that EC in a quick burst.  It didn't technically prohibit you from thawing them - but you could freeze them in a few seconds, while to thaw you'd need to have them focused for a couple of hours of game-time, in at best physics warp.

(An alternative to talk to the DeepFreeze maintainers about would be to require the *thaw* to use a small amount of Glycerol - then if you only had enough for a freeze you'd be in a one-way stop.)

The problem with the Glykerol used to thaw is that it would unbalance "stock" DeepFreeze.

Hi,

When installing through CKAN, the mod ends up in directory GameData/REKT-0.4.3.1/SHED. Some parts however (predominantly OTAV parts) refer to /SHED/... (ex.: SHED/Parts/OTAV/OTAVcore/rektOTAVcore).
These generate file not found errors in KSP.log and those parts are not loaded into the game.
Please check how the REKT archive is created so it gets rid of the 'REKT-0.4.3.1' directory.

Thanks for all these mods, they make KSP so much more interesting!

Kind regards,

Denko66

22 hours ago, Denko666 said:

When installing through CKAN, the mod ends up in directory GameData/REKT-0.4.3.1/SHED. Some parts however (predominantly OTAV parts) refer to /SHED/... (ex.: SHED/Parts/OTAV/OTAVcore/rektOTAVcore).
These generate file not found errors in KSP.log and those parts are not loaded into the game.
Please check how the REKT archive is created so it gets rid of the 'REKT-0.4.3.1' directory.

Hmm, this is interesting. I don't have CKAN so i have no experience with how it operates. These are hang overs from when i was developing the early OTAV parts. now that the OTAV has become more or a fixture I'll revert the model definition to the simpler form as it's in the local folder with the config.

Sorry for the errors, i'll bundle the correction into the next release.

• 2 weeks later...

I was just wondering - how do the Docking Clamps and the Docking Ring work and how are they supposed to be set up?

Other than that, I'd like to suggest different sizes for the R-ITA decoupler, since I usually build big rockets with numerous Kerbals just having escape pods stuck onto the sides just doesn't look pleasing and sometimes messes up the aerodynamics of my rocket. Of course, this isn't really a big deal but it would be cool nonetheless.

4 hours ago, SkeletonKing said:

I was just wondering - how do the Docking Clamps and the Docking Ring work and how are they supposed to be set up?

I refer you to this particular post of one way of how to implement the Docking Ring and Clamps:

The Docking Clamps use the OTAV's door node, the Docking ring is 2.5 dia part and has a faring'd node which allows it to attach to parent parts (think orange tank).

More REKT adapter parts are in the works.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.