[1.3] REKT Escape Pod Mod - v0.4.5.1 (more fixes)

steedcrugeon

Yes.

First fix the .version file, it has a syntax error.  you can test it here: https://jsonformatter.org/

Then, upload the new release to Github and Spacedock, it will be picked up automatically.

Make sure that the version you specify when doing the upload matches the version in the .version file

A probably not-so-simple request for the OTAV - would it be possible to get some built-in RCS ports?  It's very hard to balance RCS on it, and even harder to keep it looking moderately nice when you do.  (And you typically need RCS to dock - and the OTAV has two dedicated docks for it.)

31 minutes ago, DStaal said:

A probably not-so-simple request for the OTAV - would it be possible to get some built-in RCS ports?  It's very hard to balance RCS on it, and even harder to keep it looking moderately nice when you do.  (And you typically need RCS to dock - and the OTAV has two dedicated docks for it.)

I've been toying with this for a little while now. I was originally tempted to put RCS ports directly onto the OTAVcore, however I am limited to 6 if I wish for the stock RCS to be able to Toggle the RCS axis (and I do like to switch off pitch, roll and yaw when I use RCS).  I may modify the dockingClamp to incorporate RCS, Which would work in concert with the core. when I next have some time for REKT I'll have a go and see what I can come up with.

I'm currently experiencing difficulties with Github - the 0.4.4 version is available from SpaceDock for the interim. I will update when the issue has been resolved.

The problem with Github files has been resolved. I hope that everything should now be correct for use with CKAN.

Edited by steedcrugeon
update

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Aerospacer said:

Some tests of OTAV pod in 1.3.

It looks cool and has a good IVA. Working almost normally, except of :

- snip -

Interesting, I haven't managed to get this updated to 1.3 yet (still in the process). Is this the only pod having this issue? are the mk1 pods okay?

Also did you download this from SpaceDock or CKAN out of curiousity?

Spoiler

have you never had an ERMERGENCY? :blush:

Unfortunately, in 1.2.2 the same:

RLljmVi.png

On 12.06.2017 at 1:34 AM, steedcrugeon said:

Interesting, I haven't managed to get this updated to 1.3 yet (still in the process). Is this the only pod having this issue? are the mk1 pods okay?

Also did you download this from SpaceDock or CKAN out of curiousity?

Reveal hidden contents

have you never had an ERMERGENCY? :blush:

Stock Mk1 pods in 1.3 okay, REKT pods not check. In 1.2.2 small REKT pod's hatch is ok, except of OTAV. But to me interested only OTAV...

His hatch was worked with what KSP version?

Install from GitHub, manually.

2 hours ago, Aerospacer said:

Unfortunately, in 1.2.2 the same:

RLljmVi.png

Stock Mk1 pods in 1.3 okay, REKT pods not check. In 1.2.2 small REKT pod's hatch is ok, except of OTAV. But to me interested only OTAV...

His hatch was worked with what KSP version?

Install from GitHub, manually.

Ah, with you now. I have done some research and for some reason the colliders that where okay in 1.2.2 (talking about the model 'body' colldiers) are now interfering with the Hatch colliders after the v0.4.4 release. I have moved it ready for the next release (to 1.3) Its taking a extra time to get this one out as I am working on a few mods at once and I will be incorporating some of the extra bits @Jivaii  and others have requested.

Edited by steedcrugeon

• 2 weeks later...

Version 0.4.5 is now available. 

This latest release see the OTAV hatch obstruction fixed (from the last release 0.4.4)  and a few more bits of folder tidying to cut down on duplicate textures. Note the original OTAV air brake has now bee n removed, the previous OTAVairFins and Winglets (pair) have been deprecated. they will be removed in the not too distant future.

This brings us to the biggest piece of rework (courtesy of the pointers i got from @Pak, @Beale and @riocrokite).

The OTAV has been revamped and now features integral landing gear courtesy of @Shadowmage mighty KSPWheel mod.

Ki2BkgE.gif

Also the aero-package for the OTAV has been overhauled to enable proper glide landings (that's WITHOUT the use of the reaction wheels). This last bit is something i had wanted to do for a while but didn't know how, so this vessel can realise its potential!

Edited by steedcrugeon
proper update notes

After some experimenting with this mod, I've found out that the pods can be used in another capacity: they are mighty fine Size 0 (.625 m) manned command pods, Now I can build a smaller, lighter manned rocket using the Size 0 parts! In addition to that, small decoupleable stacks of Oscars and Sparks can be added to the life pods in their intended functionality to increase their range and dV reserve.

Edited by ave369

23 hours ago, steedcrugeon said:

Version 0.4.5 is now available.

Just a minor, but better don't put the files
Changelog.txt
LICENSE
README.md
inside the GameData folder ... :D that place is too common ...

Edit:

Which GameData\SHED\Agencies\SHEDAgency.cfg has to stay or has to go? RECT or PICO?

Edited by Gordon Dry

Since I added this mod, I have serious issues with other mods.

See

I got this as first new issue:

PartLoader: Compiling Part 'SHED/Parts/OTAV/OTAVmain/OTAVcore2/rektOTAVcore2'

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/UnityEngineDebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 42)

PartLoader Warning: Variable massOffset not found in Part

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/UnityEngineDebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 42)

PartLoader Warning: Variable costOffset not found in Part

Module ModuleDockingHatch threw during OnLoad: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at ConnectedLivingSpace.ModuleDockingHatch.IsRelatedDockingNode (.ModuleDockingNode dockNode) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at ConnectedLivingSpace.ModuleDockingHatch.CheckModuleDockingNode () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at ConnectedLivingSpace.ModuleDockingHatch.isInDockedState () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at ConnectedLivingSpace.ModuleDockingHatch.OnLoad (.ConfigNode node) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at PartModule.Load (.ConfigNode node) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

Then this:

DragCubeSystem: Creating drag cubes for part 'OTAVringDock'

PartLoader: Compiling Part 'SHED/Parts/OTAV/RETIRED/OTAVcore/OTAVcore/rektOTAVcore'

PartLoader: Encountered exception during compilation. System.ArgumentException: The requested value 'None' was not found.
  at System.Enum.Parse (System.Type enumType, System.String value, Boolean ignoreCase) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at System.Enum.Parse (System.Type enumType, System.String value) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at ConfigNode.ParseEnum (System.Type enumType, System.String vectorString) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at ConfigNode.ReadValue (System.Type fieldType, System.String value) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at ConfigNode.ReadObject (System.Object obj, .ConfigNode node) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at ConfigNode.LoadObjectFromConfig (System.Object obj, .ConfigNode node, Int32 pass, Boolean removeAfterUse) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at PartLoader.ParsePart (.UrlConfig urlConfig, .ConfigNode node) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at PartLoader+<CompileParts>c__Iterator66.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

PartCompiler: Cannot compile part

PartLoader: Compiling Part 'SHED/Parts/OTAV/RETIRED/OTAVwinglets/OTAVwinglets/rektOTAVwinglets'

PartLoader: Encountered exception during compilation. System.ArgumentException: The requested value 'None' was not found.
  at System.Enum.Parse (System.Type enumType, System.String value, Boolean ignoreCase) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at System.Enum.Parse (System.Type enumType, System.String value) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at ConfigNode.ParseEnum (System.Type enumType, System.String vectorString) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at ConfigNode.ReadValue (System.Type fieldType, System.String value) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at ConfigNode.ReadObject (System.Object obj, .ConfigNode node) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at ConfigNode.LoadObjectFromConfig (System.Object obj, .ConfigNode node, Int32 pass, Boolean removeAfterUse) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at PartLoader.ParsePart (.UrlConfig urlConfig, .ConfigNode node) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at PartLoader+<CompileParts>c__Iterator66.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

and shorty after comes this:

DragCubeSystem: Creating drag cubes for part 'PicoPortBasic'

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at PartLoader.GetDatabaseConfig (.Part p) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at PartLoader.GetDatabaseConfig (.Part p, System.String nodeName) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at DragCubeSystem.LoadDragCubes (.Part p) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at Part+<Start>c__Iterator3A.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at UnityEngine.SetupCoroutine.InvokeMoveNext (IEnumerator enumerator, IntPtr returnValueAddress) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

(Filename:  Line: -1)

at PartLoader.GetDatabaseConfig (.Part p, System.String nodeName) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at UnityEngine.SetupCoroutine.InvokeMoveNext (IEnumerator enumerator, IntPtr returnValueAddress) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

then this

DragCubeSystem: Creating drag cubes for part 'rektmk1n'

PartLoader: Compiling Part 'SHED/Parts/REKT/RETIRED/OLD-CryoPod/rektmk1c/rektCryoPod'

and

DragCubeSystem: Creating drag cubes for part 'surf'

There are also one issue with "Tokamak Industries Refurbished Parts" I added yesterday (only parts), last comment in thread says it works with 1.3 fighting with CLS.

I know that TweakScale fights with many parts, often needless log spamming like engines which are not rescaleable by default etc.

I also got some "Ship Sections" and "ExtensiveEngineerReport" (these both mods belong together) specific issues I never had until last night.

I got many

at ClawKSP.MCS.FixedUpdate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

I never have seen before.

And this

It is illegal for a joint to connect a rigid body to itself.

(Filename:  Line: 370)

at PartJoint.SetupJoint (Vector3 jointPos, Vector3 jointOrt, Vector3 jointOrt2, Int32 size) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at PartJoint.create (.Part child, .Part parent, UnityEngine.Transform nodeSpace, Vector3 nodePos, Vector3 nodeOrt, Vector3 nodeOrt2, Int32 nodeSize, AttachModes mode, Boolean rigid) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at PartJoint.Create (.Part owner, .Part parent, .AttachNode nodeToParent, .AttachNode nodeFromParent, AttachModes mode) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at Part.SecureAutoStrut (.Part anchor) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at Part+<SecureAutoStruts>c__Iterator3D.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

(Filename:  Line: -1)

is also totally unknown and new to me.

I don't want to blindly blame, but it's "known" that issues in one mod can produce many side effects in other mods, but the amount of SHED specific errors I mentioned at the beginning is obvious.

I will remove the SHED mods for now.

The full log:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qt4l2cn7bxjwxvv/2017-06-24-2 KSP.log.zip?dl=1

Sorry to hear about you having issues after having installed REKT. Have scoured through your logs and i can't see any obvious clues or pointers. the first none compiled part is a retired part anyway so it's absence will mean nothing to newer users such as yourself, its deprecated and will be removed from the next release.The same is true of the OTAVwinglets and the OTAVcore.

I have no experience of Tweakscale and presently its support is not planned, so if that's causing issues i cannot help, I suspect though it is why the OTAVcore2 is not compiling, those undefined variables are not stock.

I haven't seen any other issue/reports of PicoPort problems (that belongs in another thread), I am unable to diagnose whatever the issue is from there and i can't replicate it (i'd need you machine, your install etc.) the sheer volume of Mods you are running I cannot cater for unfortunately.

What i will say is that something has changed in the code between 1.2.2 and 1.3 which has upset things, predominantly the bigger .mu files but i wonder if it may be a factor?

Today I've designed a Size 0 asparagus style rocket using the REKT escape pod as its crew module. The engines for the asparagus booster stages are OTAV engines (see, they are useful for more than just OTAV), and the final stage engine is a Spark. The rocket looks very cute but performs well, it can get to Minmus. It's also dirt cheap. When I make my Minmus base, I think I'll replace the common pod with the landertron pod and use the pod as a lander to deliver kerbals down there.

Edited by ave369

5 minutes ago, ave369 said:

Today I've designed a Size 0 asparagus style rocket using the REKT escape pod as its crew module. The engines for the asparagus booster stages are OTAV engines (see, they are useful for more than just OTAV), and the final stage engine is a Spark. The rocket looks very cute but performs well, it can get to Minmus.

That... that is impressive, care to share a screen shot?

Here it is. The chequy fuel tanks are from USI Sounding Rockets. It's entirely possible to replace them with stacks of Oscars, and it will even hold more fuel that way, but it is long and annoying to stack the little Oscars.

0bc49df653dac7ada3efd7229bbd81c9.png

• 2 weeks later...

Possible bug with the latest version of OTAV... Roll authority seems to be inverted. MechJeb, stock SAS, and Atmospheric Autopilot all initiate maximum rate rolls when activated, and manually attempting to put the right "wing" down results in a snap roll to the left, regardless of airspeed or altitude.

4 hours ago, MaverickSawyer said:

Possible bug with the latest version of OTAV... Roll authority seems to be inverted. MechJeb, stock SAS, and Atmospheric Autopilot all initiate maximum rate rolls when activated, and manually attempting to put the right "wing" down results in a snap roll to the left, regardless of airspeed or altitude.

Hmm, I have observed something similar this behaviour in testing but I though it had made it go away. It is 1.3 you are using correct and this is observed with the two-part winglet arrangement? Can you double check for me that pitch IS disengaged for the winglets (as set by default in the config).

Edited by steedcrugeon
typos

1.3, latest version of REKT pack checked and installed. Port fin on port side, starboard fin on starboard side, and default of pitch off confirmed. Fins are deployed, as is the little rudders on the top aft deck. Issues persists in this configuration.(Pitch is perfectly fine, btw... quite powerful. Almost blacked Jeb out when pulling out at 700 m/s and ~12 km altitude.)

Edited by MaverickSawyer

4 hours ago, MaverickSawyer said:

1.3, latest version of REKT pack checked and installed. Port fin on port side, starboard fin on starboard side, and default of pitch off confirmed. Fins are deployed, as is the little rudders on the top aft deck. Issues persists in this configuration.(Pitch is perfectly fine, btw... quite powerful. Almost blacked Jeb out when pulling out at 700 m/s and ~12 km altitude.)

Ah I think I may have sussed what it is. which version of RetractableLiftingSurface do you have installed? I can see on the GitHub release its still got 1.1. bundles but it should be 1.4 (current version). That looks like I made that mistake when putting the binaries together for release. Can you check to see if installing the 1.4v of RetractableLiftingSurface (find it here) resolves the issue?

Yes the Pitch stabiliser is very powerful, as it is large and needs to be affective in thinner atmosphere/higher altitude. It shouldn't cause blackouts, just get close to the limit.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.