[1.12.x] Kramax Autopilot Continued: Course guidance and auto-land for spaceplanes

linuxgurugamer

I'm encountering an annoying bug; perhaps, I could just be a moron and can't figure it out. But the Flight Plan Management window can't be moved. Which is extremely annoying, as I have Kerbin Side GAP, and it massively increases the number of flight plans. Most of which are off the bottom of my screen and thus inaccessible. Is there any chance the Flight Plan Management window could be made movable, and a scrollbar be added to the list of flight plans?

Other than that: Excellent, excellent add-on, and I cannot recommend this enough.Now my landings are actually survivable!

13 minutes ago, Creideiki said:

I'm encountering an annoying bug; perhaps, I could just be a moron and can't figure it out. But the Flight Plan Management window can't be moved. Which is extremely annoying, as I have Kerbin Side GAP, and it massively increases the number of flight plans. Most of which are off the bottom of my screen and thus inaccessible. Is there any chance the Flight Plan Management window could be made movable, and a scrollbar be added to the list of flight plans?

Other than that: Excellent, excellent add-on, and I cannot recommend this enough.Now my landings are actually survivable!

I don't think that is a bug. More like a feature that was never there. My workaround has been to grab the Kramax window as far down as I can (not the Flight plan management window), and drag it to the top of my screen. The Flight Plan Management window will follow and I am able to see most of the flight plans that way. 

Edited by chimpbone

Took a quick look at Kramax AP today.  Very similar to how I remember using Crzyrndm's Pilot Assistance a while back, even to the layout of the window (not surprising as Kramax was developed from Crzyrndm's).  Except Kramaz has a very large window and Pilot Assistance is rather compact (but with less features).

@linuxgurugamer, any way you could make it adjustable, or even have a slightly smaller variant window?

• 2 weeks later...

So I've been using this mod flawlessly with craft that take off from the ground, but I've been having trouble making it work with drones launched from the cargo bays of other craft. When I transfer control back to the command unit (in the current case, an OKTO2), it gets its bearings screwed up somehow. Throttle control works fine, but roll and pitch go haywire. Any suggestions how to normalize the autopilot's behavior for this situation?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm eager to try out all the new flight plans. However, I've already noticed a problem with one: the Black Krags plan. The last step in the plan forces a plane to do a 180-degree turn while braking. I've tried it with two planes so far, both of which flipped and broke off wings.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Does anyone have a flight plan for an unpowered landing (a la spaceshuttle)? It'll obviously need to come down much steeper since there won't be any means to maintain speed, and it'll probably depend much more on the craft itself (weight/drag/lift/..), but I figured before I start fiddling around with the numbers, I could try asking first :)

6 hours ago, DJ Reonic said:

There was something out there at one time for a reentry profile. I use MJ to set a 40° AoA and then use Atmosphere Autopilot's Fly-by-wire and a joystick to fly the rest of it. I just wish there was a good setup with Kramax to do a good Shuttle reentry.

Heh, same here, though with keyboard instead of joystick. Along with Trajectories and MJ's spaceplane guidance (just the navball indicator for the alignment during the final approach), it's pretty easy. If coming from an equatorial orbit that is, something like a 30° incined orbit makes it a good bit harder.

Ah well, I guess for the more "routine" flights, I'll just use an overdesigned spaceplane that'll have enough fuel left for a powered approach, and do the more critical flights "by hand".

• 3 weeks later...

just wondering if a feature to adjust control surface authority dynamically based on dynamic pressure is feasible.   thus at low speeds or high altitude control surfaces will move at max range, while at low altitude or high speeds they will be limited down to small movements to ease the oscillations of the craft.

of course this is assuming the Autopilot does not do this already....

On 2/13/2018 at 10:34 AM, Bit Fiddler said:

just wondering if a feature to adjust control surface authority dynamically based on dynamic pressure is feasible.   thus at low speeds or high altitude control surfaces will move at max range, while at low altitude or high speeds they will be limited down to small movements to ease the oscillations of the craft.

of course this is assuming the Autopilot does not do this already....

There is Dynamic Deflection which was created by @Crzyrndm but he's discontinued development and maintenance. I'm unaware of it having been picked up by anyone else though he's basically put it in the public domain.

yes... this is why I asked about this mod.  it seems a logical place to put the replacement.    lol I could have just asked @linuxgurugamer to also add the dynamic deflection mod to his list I guess...  but I think it would be better if this mod just included that function as it really would be better if it integrated with the AP in a seamless way...

or if he wanted to take up the reins of that mod too then maybe do both just port the code into the Kramax mod so it does it all , and have the "light" version that is just the deflection portion.   

I was just asking as it seems to me that the Kramax mod is not doing any sort of deflection changes, as my space planes need to have me constantly tweak their deflection values to keep them stable as I launch and climb to orbit.

4 hours ago, Bit Fiddler said:

yes... this is why I asked about this mod.  it seems a logical place to put the replacement.    lol I could have just asked @linuxgurugamer to also add the dynamic deflection mod to his list I guess...  but I think it would be better if this mod just included that function as it really would be better if it integrated with the AP in a seamless way...

or if he wanted to take up the reins of that mod too then maybe do both just port the code into the Kramax mod so it does it all , and have the "light" version that is just the deflection portion.   

I was just asking as it seems to me that the Kramax mod is not doing any sort of deflection changes, as my space planes need to have me constantly tweak their deflection values to keep them stable as I launch and climb to orbit.

This mod is in a pure maintenance mode, no further changes will be done by me regarding the functionality of this mod

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.