KSP Realism Overhaul (RO) Engine Ignition

Hey there!

I've been working on a reuseable rocket, powered by LO2 & LH2, recently. I figured out that the Space Shuttle Main Engines (SSME or RS-25) are very good and effective 1st stage engines, but I've got stuck with one issue: The SSME has only 1 Ignition available.

So I started looking for a mod, which gives you the ability to ignite engines a customizeable amount of times, by adding hypergolic or pyrophoric substances, such as Triethylaluminium (TEAL), which ignites spontaneusely in contact with O2. TEAL is being used by SpaceX in their falcon 9 first stage, giving it the ability of igniting the merlin engines multiple times.

So I would like someone to make a mod (because I'm not a programmer), which gives you the ability of igniting your engines multiple times, by adding an external (or internal) ignitor, which is connected to a tank filled with a hypergolic or pyrophoric substance(s). It would be amazing, if someone could recreate what I've just written.

Thank you very much for your attention!

Here are some pictures of my reuseable LH2/LO2 Rocket. Enjoy!

EOmzhs0.jpg

HIhSlj4.jpg

crTNfh7.jpg

MbVmmK6.jpg

Edited by Karol van Kermin
Beauty purposes

Hey, nice rocket lad. but about the ignitions, you can go into your realism overhaul folder, tske the config where the engine settings are. from there you can change the amount of ignitions. you could also pick another lighter engine and strap some moarr on the rocket. :)

1 hour ago, DrLicor said:

Hey, nice rocket lad. but about the ignitions, you can go into your realism overhaul folder, tske the config where the engine settings are. from there you can change the amount of ignitions. you could also pick another lighter engine and strap some moarr on the rocket. :)

Thats a good Idea but for me it kinda feels like cheating. But so far this is the only thing I can do.

thx for ur attention!

1 hour ago, Karol van Kermin said:

Thats a good Idea but for me it kinda feels like cheating.

Why? You have a spec for an engine that is at least reasonable, someone should be able to build it. The SSME was reusable after reconditioning, no reason that additional research couldn't turn it into a restartable engine. Use ModuleManager to add an additonal config to the SSME with extra ignitions and fuel. Up the mass a bit to represent the additional gear and requirements for a robust bell and turbopumps.

I mean, yeah, our RO pipe-dream for quite some time has been "procedural engines" but I'm not so sure it'll ever happen. This is the next best option. If it starts feeling cheaty just drop the isp a bit or up the mass or something.

Edited by regex

54 minutes ago, regex said:

I mean, yeah, our RO pipe-dream for quite some time has been "procedural engines" but I'm not so sure it'll ever happen.

Procedural rocket engines would be fugging dope. Just imagine adding every single detail on it, like piping, precombustion chambers, nozzle size etc. . JUST FUGGING IMAGINE THAT!

DrLicor :

Idk where to find the amount of ignitions. This is how my config looks like:

//New engine/cluster plugin patch
@PART[SSTU-SC-ENG-RS-25]:NEEDS[SSTU]:FOR[RealismOverhaul]
{
	%RSSROConfig = True	
	%engineType = SSME
	@mass = 3.526681
	@crashTolerance = 12
	%breakingForce = 250
	%breakingTorque = 250
	%maxTemp = 3588.15
	@MODULE[ModuleEngines*]
	{
		%minThrust = 1358.5
		%maxThrust = 2278.824
		%heatProduction = 100
		@PROPELLANT[LiquidFuel]
		{
			@name = LqdHydrogen
			@ratio = 0.728
		}
		@PROPELLANT[Oxidizer]
		{
			@name = LqdOxygen
			@ratio = 0.272
		}
		@atmosphereCurve
		{
			@key,0 = 0 453
			@key,1 = 1 363
		}
	}
}
+PART[SSTU-SC-ENG-RS-25]:NEEDS[SSTU]:FOR[RealismOverhaul]
{
	@name = SSTU-SC-ENG-RS-25x5
	@MODULE[SSTUModularEngineCluster]
	{
		@currentEngineLayoutName = Five-X
		!LAYOUT,*:HAS[~name[Five-X]]{}
		@LAYOUT[Five-X]
		{
			!MOUNT,*:HAS[~name[Mount-SLS]]{}
			@MOUNT[Mount-SLS]
			{
				%size = 8.4
				%canAdjustSize = false
			}
		}
	}
}
Edited by Karol van Kermin

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.