In the real solar system most planets have names originating from mostly the greek and roman mythology. The Kerbol system has some jokes I really like, and as to the planet is eatable. But I think a Kerbal mythology and some optional objectives or story line would do this game good. I think it's easy do-able from a mechanic perspective, but the actual story would not be so simple.

What about we ask the players for help about coming up with a good story?

Of course I think it should be optional to choose from when playing, and it's purpose is to give players of KSP not such a hard time with coming up with a objective in the game.

It's really weird that objectives are such a big part of many games, and ksp doesn't have any! (apart from career mode ofcourse, which is quite satisfying I admit).

41 minutes ago, amunray said:

(apart from career mode ofcourse, which is quite satisfying I admit).

Hmmmm... No, it isn't.

It would be nice to create your own story. I'd like to do that in career mode, but it's still just sandbox with side quests.

What I would like to do is focus on certain actions and be able to happily continue them. For example going aircraft atmospheric exploration. You do that and get more atmospheric parts, or you decide to have a completely plane-free rocketry research program, or both, or even SSTOs and still have fun by doing what you want to do.

What it's like now is you get asked to achieve certain orbits or test parts (these ones are the real tragedy and there are a lot of them, also the tech tree is pretty bad), or go full science mode and consider your career done when the tree is finished.

Anyway my point is we need a better career, in which you are able to tell your own adventures by simply playing the way you want to play, not some sort of meaningless lore/story mode.

Edited by Veeltch

@Veeltch

That's why I said optional, because some people think a lore/story is meaningless. I disagree.

But you presented a good idea as well;

" What I would like to do is focus on certain actions and be able to happily continue them. For example going aircraft atmospheric exploration. You do that and get more atmospheric parts, or you decide to have a completely plane-free rocketry research program, or both, or even SSTOs and still have fun by doing what you want to do. "

I think the only problem with that is that you quickly run out of science to get in the atmosphere and there aren't enough easter eggs or interesting things to see on the planet.

33 minutes ago, amunray said:

I think the only problem with that is that you quickly run out of science to get in the atmosphere and there aren't enough easter eggs or interesting things to see on the planet.

That's true, but it's only because of how the science system rewards are scaled. Devs assumed that people would go out there (other planets) pretty quickly anyway, so no point in having more science points than just a few per biome. IMO there's plenty to explore on Kerbin. It's just that we have only one launch site (KSC) and that's why nobody bothers exploring the home planet. It's simply too far to get anywhere.

Science points aren't even real science. It's more of achievement points and research points at the same time. The only fact that there's "science" in there is because of quasi-scientific experiments generating the points.

Edited by Veeltch

9 hours ago, Veeltch said:

Anyway my point is we need a better career, in which you are able to tell your own adventures by simply playing the way you want to play, not some sort of meaningless lore/story mode.

This is true.  I want to be able to write my own story, not be locked into someone else's idea.

I've never been a big fan of games that feel the need to tell me "go here, do this, go there, do that, then this..." and won't let me do what I want until I perform the tricks it demands.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.