Rover wheels heat production

The situation as it is now: rover wheels have a linear torque decline with increasing speed. Instead of limiting the torque, I'd much rather see them produce heat like this: base heat production at max energy consumption x speed multiplier.

Furthermore I really dislike the idea of a wheel assembly exploding when overheated due to energy consumption (internal heating only, to differentiate between for example re-entry). Burning out the motor, without popping the tyre would be more realistic. Repair requirement: engineer level 5.

What do you think?

44 minutes ago, Azimech said:

The situation as it is now: rover wheels have a linear torque decline with increasing speed. Instead of limiting the torque, I'd much rather see them produce heat like this: base heat production at max energy consumption x speed multiplier.

Well, to start with, I think they made a mistake with the linearly decreasing torque curve: that's typical for DC motors, but not for the AC type motors used in battery powered vehicles, which tends to be max for a considerable portion of the operational RPM spread, and then only a slight drop. So that I think still needs readjusting, separate from the heat production considerations.

Heat production, I agree it should be somehow directly linked to RPM/speed. I'm leaving out potential air cooling effects in atmospheres, including that may overcomplicate things.

50 minutes ago, Azimech said:

Furthermore I really dislike the idea of a wheel assembly exploding when overheated due to energy consumption (internal heating only, to differentiate between for example re-entry). Burning out the motor, without popping the tyre would be more realistic. Repair requirement: engineer level 5.

I can agree with that, but I dislike the whole 'space-bound engineers start with no clue about wheels' mechanic, so I don't like the repair requirement. Basic repair skills of the equipment should be an essential requirement of an engineer included on a space flight... not something they 'learn on the job' (or worse, after the fact as if a posthumous badge pinning suddenly makes them more capable of now averting a potentially mission/personnel killing technical mishap).

2 minutes ago, swjr-swis said:

Heat production, I agree it should be somehow directly linked to RPM/speed. I'm leaving out potential air cooling effects in atmospheres, including that may overcomplicate things.

I can agree with that, but I dislike the whole 'space-bound engineers start with no clue about wheels' mechanic, so I don't like the repair requirement. Basic repair skills of the equipment should be an essential requirement of an engineer included on a space flight... not something they 'learn on the job' (or worse, after the fact as if a posthumous badge pinning suddenly makes them more capable of now averting a potentially mission/personnel killing technical mishap).

The wheels can have custom thermal values for heat dissipation, they're just not yet in the configuration, it's actually very simple.

I understand your standpoint but Squad has chosen the capabilities of the different classes for simple (rpg style) gameplay reasons. I don't think that will ever change. Repairing a wheel needs an engineer class 3 ... it looks to me like changing a tyre (which in real life would be engineer class 0). Rewiring a burned coil of a motor is a lot harder, especially a field repair.

This is a great idea!  I also agree that it's silly an engineer has to plant a flag on the Mun in order to fix a wheel, but he can operate an off-planet drilling rig right away.  Perhaps we have engineer experience affect their efficiency at tasks rather than their ability to perform tasks at all?

Also, burning or a motor or failing an internal bearing is more realistic than shattering a tire.  KSP could make the wheels look unhappy (charred or slightly off angle) rather than shattering them.  

• 11 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.