ShipYard

Fendrin

ShipYard

provides a simple approach to building and maintaining vessels off-world. It is a part module utilizing KIS in early development.

Used by

Parts featuring ShipYard allow

• Unload Cargo - (Prototype) Transfer all content from the docked vessel's KIS containers into storage.
  • Dismantle Vessel - (Partly Implemented) The docked vessel's parts are transfered into storage.
  • Save Vessel - (Not Implemented) Save the current vessel to a file.
  • Load Vessel - (Partly Implemented) Load the edited vessel from a craft file.
  • Rebuild - (Not implemented) Transform the docked vessel (or empty SpaceDock) into the loaded one using either:
    • Parts from the storage.
    • Produced parts If the vessel is also equipped with OSE Workshop production facilities.

Usage

MODULE
    {
        name = ShipYard
        konstructionNodes = innerPort, innerCenter, innerStarboard
        storageNodes = outerPort, outerStarboard
        assemblyNodes = bottom 
    }

konstructionNodes - attached gear enhances the productivity later

assemblyNodes - vessels attached can be modified

storageNodes - KIS Containers attached are used as assembly storage.

MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleKISPickup
        maxDistance = 20.625
        grabMaxMass = 10.8
        allowPartStack = true
        allowPartAttach = true
    }

The ShipYard needs also to be equipped with a KISPickup module.

Edited by Fendrin

Hi , many moons ago when i played rather than made mods for KSP and used to actually go to space i built such a device, it was even then fitted with very early EPL modules and could build ships on the spot, I've likely still got it somewhere too, bit of a model hoarder :) anyway it  looked/looks like this, and was only abandoned because i couldnt make custom docking claws, which i can do in my sleep now :)

Spoiler

qTzfRaN.png

Ye7pmwd.png

gf1IMK9.png

CmZazvM.png

it was built  a a garage for this which still exists as well

R25370G.png

EHxBsjo.png

51 minutes ago, Fendrin said:

@SpannerMonkey(smce), nice concept, reminds me somehow to some old game I played years ago. Do you want to revive them? You can also find a part mod with similar content in my signature.

Hey. Thats a nice looking mod .   Re my junk , not given any thought, with them just being  personal parts there's no reviving to be done really, and they are over two years old now and i'd likely do a dozen things different with the spacedock  as versatility wasn't a strong point, the ship on the other hand I always liked, mind you it took months to build it all. It still works today.  None of these things ever got released ( i build 3-4 times more than i ever release) and the last time a demo went out was before the forums used licenses (no really :) )

On 10/27/2016 at 8:49 AM, Fendrin said:

The part with that module would allow:

• Unload Cargo - Transfer all content from the docked vessel's KIS containers into storage.
  • Dismantle - The docked vessel's parts are transfered into storage.
  • Save Vessel - Save the current vessel to a file. (I hope KSP allows plugins to save editor vessels)
  • Load Vessel - Load the edited vessel from a craft file, similar to how EL does it.
  • Rebuild - Transform the docked vessel (or empty SpaceDock) into the loaded one using either:
    • Parts from the storage.
    • Produced parts If the vessel is also equipped with production facilities, similar to how EL production works.

Is something similar already possible? I have not tried all mods out there and maybe not understand all of EL's features yet.

What do you think about the idea?

I like the idea - but I feel obligated to point out that #2 is already possible with EL (using the recycling bins) and that means you can emulate #5 by using those parts to build a new ship.  There is some loss involved though - which may make sense.

3 minutes ago, DStaal said:

I like the idea - but I feel obligated to point out that #2 is already possible with EL (using the recycling bins) and that means you can emulate #5 by using those parts to build a new ship.  There is some loss involved though - which may make sense.

Indeed, that is why I mentioned it in the OP already. 

On 27.10.2016 at 2:49 PM, Fendrin said:

... If I understand what ExtraplanetaryLaunchpad does well enough, there are only two possibilities to get the ship rebuild.

1. Manually with KIS/KAS and Kerbals on EVA. Maybe with the help of some robotics parts or USI Konstruction's claw part mounted to the SpaceDock. I guess this is quite fun but only the first time and not with hundreds of parts on large vessels.
  2. With the help of EL. All the old vessel parts are going to be recycled into RocketParts/MaterialKits-SpecializedParts and you just rebuild the new design.

Method 2 is consuming a lot of in-game time and wasting resources. Also it feels somehow wrong. But I guess most players end up going this way since Method 1 is very real time consuming and gets boring quickly enough.

So (just to clear things up in my mind) would ShipYards would effectively be an orbit only derivative of Extraplanetary Launchpads which requires the EL plugin in order to function? Would I be right in thinking that the time delay is intertwined in the EL plugin, and this is the problem a more complex vessel requires more time to build.

I think I may be worth speaking to @taniwha about how EL works to see if you could make an 'EL-Lite' version built upon it (just like how RoverDude, does MKS and MKS-Lite).

Alternatively (if you are feeling particularly masochistic) you could write a plugin from scratch that gets the given/selected ShipYard a VAB/SPH style editor, you could then go as far as to add a few limitations, like size/mass dependent on the ShipYard used against the resources/parts you have available on that particular ShipYard. [This would be exceptionally code intensive I suspect, not sure though as I don't write much code].

2 hours ago, steedcrugeon said:

So (just to clear things up in my mind) would ShipYards would effectively be an orbit only derivative of Extraplanetary Launchpads which requires the EL plugin in order to function?

EL is vessel focused. It can build a Vessel in a single step or not at all. EL is not related or depending on KIS in any way.

SY is part based. The current codebase only depends on KIS. The building vessel feature is also a matter of calling the same functions as are called when a Kerbal on EVA would move and attach parts.

Would I be right in thinking that the time delay is intertwined in the EL plugin, and this is the problem a more complex vessel requires more time to build.

Right now SY just waits for 5 seconds after every step. I plan to calculate this wait depending on size and mass of the part and if it is only moved, detached, attached or a combination of those.

I think I may be worth speaking to @taniwha about how EL works to see if you could make an 'EL-Lite' version built upon it (just like how RoverDude, does MKS and MKS-Lite).

The only case not solvable by using KIS is when you need to manufacture new parts.
RoverDude's manufacturing system based on MaterialKits/SpecializedParts is more attractive to me than EL's RocketParts based one.

The part production issue is the last thing I want to implement. Maybe I end up not depending on EL or RoverDude's version of it at all.

Remember that EL produces Vessels, not parts. But the SpaceDock needs single parts. Is there already a production system which gives you single parts, spawned in KIS container maybe?

Alternatively (if you are feeling particularly masochistic) you could write a plugin from scratch that gets the given/selected ShipYard a VAB/SPH style editor, you could then go as far as to add a few limitations, like size/mass dependent on the ShipYard used against the resources/parts you have available on that particular ShipYard. [This would be exceptionally code intensive I suspect, not sure though as I don't write much code].

The current design already respects the limitations of the SpaceDock's Engineer skills. Meaning the SpaceDock will struggle on a too heavy part during the build process and you have to send EVA Kerbals to assist it.

The SpaceDock themed VAB/SPH editor is a nice idea. But I am not sure if I understood correctly. Do you want to elaborate more on that idea?

2 minutes ago, Fendrin said:

SY is part based. The current codebase only depends on KIS. The building vessel feature is also a matter of calling the same functions as are called when a Kerbal on EVA would move and attach parts.

Right now SY just waits for 5 seconds after every step. I plan to calculate this wait depending on size and mass of the part and if it is only moved, detached, attached or a combination of those.

Remember that EL produces Vessels, not parts. But the SpaceDock needs single parts. Is there already a production system which gives you single parts, spawned in KIS container maybe?

The current design already respects the limitations of the SpaceDock's Engineer skills. Meaning the SpaceDock will struggle on a too heavy part during the build process and you have to send EVA Kerbals to assist it.

The SpaceDock themed VAB/SPH editor is a nice idea. But I am not sure if I understood correctly. Do you want to elaborate more on that idea?

- Purely KIS based, that is so much more simple than I had anticipated. better to keep it that way as you say.

- Part size/mass delay is a superb idea; "placing and lamp, pff easy but a second or so, placing an orange tank, that'll take a while"

- I think OSE workshop allows you to produce single parts. there you could write and plugin to export the part to the SpaceDock's local KIS storage (although it may need to have a bespoke 'oversize' storage for some of the parts).

- that is an excellent build mechanism, I like it!

- Well it's a lot easier if the construction mechanics are implemented through KIS. how is the Build presently implement, is there a 'build' button on the Part? that would be a good initiator if so. Then it would need is to have a means to automatically switch the centre of the camera's focus to the centre of the SpaceDock being used to build stuff (this is particularly relevant when you have a station with multiple SpaceDocks) this could be implemented through the parts. alternatively a pseudo 'cameraSwitch' module (the actual cameraSwitch module is meant for internal I believe) that sets the viewing perspective from a fixed position (like IVA's do). I prefer the former to the pseudo camera switch idea though. this focus change would be trigger by the 'build' button on the part and at the same time it would open up all the available KIS storage attached to the SpaceDock in a single inventory fixed to the left had side of the screen (like the VAB/SPH).

Well that's my thinking of how it might work anyway.

1 hour ago, steedcrugeon said:

- Purely KIS based, that is so much more simple than I had anticipated. better to keep it that way as you say.

Oh yes. The mod will be only a small and simple extension to KIS.

- Part size/mass delay is a superb idea; "placing and lamp, pff easy but a second or so, placing an orange tank, that'll take a while"

And it depends on the maxWeight of the dock. Moving a part nearer the limit will be more time consuming.

- I think OSE workshop allows you to produce single parts.

Thank you, I will have a look at it.

there you could write and plugin to export the part to the SpaceDock's local KIS storage (although it may need to have a bespoke 'oversize' storage for some of the parts).

The huge KIS container demand is the reason for usi-core being a suggestion. I have already cloned even bigger containers for the SpaceDocks but I would prefer if @RoverDude would include them.

- that is an excellent build mechanism, I like it!

I hope it makes some fun in the game. You can actually watch your construction being build, EL is more like black magic.

- Well it's a lot easier if the construction mechanics are implemented through KIS. how is the Build presently implement, is there a 'build' button on the Part? that would be a good initiator if so.

There is already:

• Start Unload Cargo/Stop Unload Cargo
  • Start Dismantling Vessel/Stop Dismantling Vessel
  • Detach Vessel

Those are all buttons in the part's context menu. They already work with minor issues.

• Start Rebuilding Vessel/Stop Rebuilding Vessel
  • Load Vessel
  • Save Vessel

Are present but not working yet or only to some degree.

Then it would need is to have a means to automatically switch the centre of the camera's focus to the centre of the SpaceDock being used to build stuff (this is particularly relevant when you have a station with multiple SpaceDocks) this could be implemented through the parts.

Good idea and easy to do. It is no my TODO list.

... this focus change would be trigger by the 'build' button on the part and at the same time it would open up all the available KIS storage attached to the SpaceDock in a single inventory fixed to the left had side of the screen (like the VAB/SPH).

The single inventory idea is nice. I have thought about that before. On TODO now.

Well that's my thinking of how it might work anyway.

Most likely I will also end up having a dedicated window that displays more statistics about the SpaceDock than what can be displayed in the context menu. Still I like to keep everything quite simple.

Edited by Fendrin

- I think OSE workshop allows you to produce single parts. there you could write and plugin to export the part to the SpaceDock's local KIS storage (although it may need to have a bespoke 'oversize' storage for some of the parts).

OSE Workshop is the exact match. So final ShipYard will depend on KIS and support OSEW. Most likely EL support can be dropped at all.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.