The Second Great War (Chapter 31/32: Epilogue (And a preview to the Battle of Kerbin))

DarkOwl57

Before this starts, I would like to thank more than a few people.

@Draconiator For giving me inspiration for my story. (Link to his story: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/135563-etherium-a-kerbal-space-program-story-chapter-32-the-flight-to-ike/&page=4

@BahamutoD For supplying BDArmoury.

@TheEpicSquared, @swjr-swis, @NotAnAimbot, @Avera9eJoe, and all the others who posted on my 'Fighter Jet Speed Test' Challenge. (Thanks guys!)

And now, without further ado.......

Introduction

This story takes place 10 years after the Great War was fought. Jeb and Valentina, both now retired, enjoy their lives with Robert, their child. Bob and Bill, also retired, have both gotten married, and settled down with their own families.

However, trouble is stirring in the island nation of Dystrios, and the rebel forces have taken over most of the country. Now, we start this story in the town of Riverview, in the house of Jeb and Valentina.

Chapter 1

Time: 09:00 Hours, 10 years after the end of the Great War

Jeb was eating his breakfast, when little Robert walked into the room. “Hey dad,” He said as he grabbed an apple from the bowl that was on the counter. Jeb noticed that he was hiding something.

“Did you take a cookie from the jar?” Jeb asked in a playful tone. Robert pulled two cookies out of his pocket, giving one to Jeb. “Mhm… Thanks,” Jeb said as he took a bite. Gosh, He thought as he took another bite. Val’s cookies sure are good.

“What’s going on here?” Val’s voice said as he opened his eyes and turned around. “No eating cookies before you finish breakfast.” Val said with a smile as she took off her garden apron, which she had been wearing when she planted some new flowers. “Sorry,” Jeb said as he stood up.

“I guess it’s okay,” Valentina said as Jeb gave her a light kiss on the cheek. Jeb smiled, and turned to Robert, who was eating his apple. “Do you want to try the simulator again?” Jeb asked as he began to walk to his study. 

“Yeah!” Robert said as he leaped up and followed Jeb. “Now remember, you need to be easy with the controls at first, but once the plane’s got a good speed, you can do whatever.” Jeb told Robert as they walked into the study. Jeb heard Val mutter something that sounded like “Boys…..”

………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

Time: 09:05 Hours

Jeb sat down in the ‘Pilot’ seat, and pressed the power button. An old fashioned ‘KSC’ logo popped up on each of the three screens that gave the ‘Pilot’ a 180º view.

“Dad?” Robert said as Jeb selected ‘Free flight’ mode. “What is ‘KSC’?” Jeb smiled. “You already know,” Jeb said. “Tell me the story again.” Robert said as he sat down in the seat.

“Well,” Jeb started. “I was a pilot, and the KSC is where I worked. When I retired, they gave me this as a gift.” Jeb smiled. Robert chose his favorite plane, the M-13.

“Now, remember-“ Jeb said, but Rob finished the sentence for him. “Don’t try maneuvers at low speeds, and don’t do maneuvers at mach 3.” He grinned. “I learned my lesson after the last week.”

Robert flipped all the switches on the digital dashboard, starting the plane up. As soon as the plane got up to takeoff speed, Robert pulled the control stick back, and the plane took off beautifully.

“Wo-oo-o-o-oooo!” Robert exclaimed when his seat shook as he did a loop. “Yeah!” Jeb said, seeing his son doing maneuvers that had inspired Jeb to become a pilot himself. Finally, after breaking his own speed record of 500m/s, Robert landed the plane with ease.

“Yes!” Robert said as he got up from the seat. “Can I go again?” He asked Jeb, who shook his head. “You know the rules, 1 flight per weekend.” Robert groaned, and Jeb smiled at how similar Robert was to Jeb at a young age.

“Why don’t you go help your mom,” Jeb said as he turned on his computer. “I’m sure that she could use help with the garden.” Robert walked out the door, and said, “Fine. And I’ll see if I can get you another cookie.” Jeb chuckled as he checked the news.

However, his smile was immediately turned into a frown when he saw the latest military headlines. “Rebellion on Dystrios?” He muttered to himself as he clicked on the link. He was very confused. Dystrios was supposed to be a relatively peaceful nation. They were basically a satellite of the Eastern Empire; Too large to be considered a colony, and too small to be considered an independent nation.

He decided to get on the simulator. He switched the user to JKerman102, and selected ‘Dogfight’ mode. He chose the M-13, which was his favorite of all the ones that he had flown, chose the amount of enemies that would be against him, and prepared to fly again.

Time: 09:15 Hours

Jeb gave a few short breaths, before launching the plane. He saw 4 enemy targets with 2 ally craft, making the odds 4-3. However, with Jeb flying, it was more like 4-5. His plane lifted up nicely, and he began the fight.

His allies managed to shoot down one of the enemy planes by taking off it’s wing. 3-3, Jeb thought as he zoomed into the engagement zone. His radar alerted him to someone closing up on his rear, and Jeb looped around.

He fired the guns, and the enemy plane lost their engine and left wing. With the odds now 2-3, Jeb allowed the AI generated allies shoot down one very pesky plane that was just able to stay out of range of the ally craft.

Jeb launched a couple of missiles, which eliminated the enemy with ease. Now, with just one plane left, Jeb flew like crazy, attempting to get to the last plane. He prepared to launch the remainder of his missiles at the enemy, but a missile came at the plane from above, and destroyed the craft by hitting it in the middle.

Jeb landed the plane skillfully, panting just a little from the excitement of flying again. Whew, Jeb thought as he switched off the plane and got out of the simulator. Just as he stood up, his phone in his pocket buzzed, and Jeb saw the notification that was on the main part of the screen.

NSK NEWS- BREAKING: Dystrios capital taken by rebels, War declared on NSK

Jeb was shocked. He heard Valentina running through the house, and she burst into the office, panting. “Did you get it too?” She gasped, holding up her phone. Jeb nodded grimly.

“I’m going to go take a walk for a bit,” Jeb said as he walked out of the room.

Edited by DarkOwl57

21 hours ago, TheEpicSquared said:

Cool! One suggestion - could you make the font size a little bigger? It'll be easier to read that way. :) 

Yeah, I'm doing this in Apple Pages, and it's difficult to find a good font size; THE SEARCH FOR THE GREAT FONT SHALL CONTINUE!

Right, so currently on chapter 10 of my story, so I have a small buffer. I plan to upload when I have a 5 chapter cushion, so here's chapter 2. ( @TheEpicSquared This a good size?)

Chapter 2

Time: 09:30 Hours

Jeb closed the door to the room, and sneezed as the heavy dust in the room was stirred up. Gosh, Jeb thought as he saw all of the things in the room. I haven't been in here in ages. He dusted off a chair, and sat down.

Seeing a box, Jeb got up and looked around. He saw some dusty old pictures, and some news clippings dated back to who knows when. He blew on the frame of the picture, and saw a far younger Jebediah, grinning next to a far younger Gene. Man, Jeb thought as he smirked at the now decades old photo. Did I really look this young?

He set that photo down and picked up another one, which showed a slightly older Jeb, shaking hands with the ex-leader of the NSK; Wilfred Kerman. Probably from my promotion ceremony, Jeb thought as he too set this photo down. He picked up a newspaper clipping, and read the front page headline, which said, WAR DECLARED!!

Jeb had to smile at this one. He set the newspaper down, and sadly looked at the next clipping. “Star pilot retires,” This one said, and Jeb read the story through. Attached to the last page of the story was a picture that showed him hugging Gene, with the J-001 behind them. He set this one down as well, feeling tears well up in his eyes.

He picked up a scrapbook that Val had made for him. He smiled as he flipped to the first page, which had a quote from himself.

“If you aren’t scared for your life,” Jeb read to himself. “You aren’t going fast enough.” Jeb turned the page and saw a picture of him in one of the M-10 prototypes. Jeb’s young face grinned out at him from the picture, and Jeb had to smile at how far he had come since then.

He saw other pictures, things like his first landing, the first recorded 5-G turn in an airplane, and some other things from his glorious testing career.

Then, he saw himself in a uniform, looking neat, crisp, and ready for the future. The beautiful M-13 almost seemed to shine, as Jeb looked back on his great past. His first dogfight, the Battle of the Sea of Kerbin, even the go-kart the Jeb had somewhere in the room.

Then, Jeb was joined by another pilot, who was laughing into the camera. He wore a uniform far different to Jeb’s; one that was crisper, more thin, and seemingly sand-stained. Then, 2 M-13’s, flying side by side. The second M-13, piloted by this younger pilot, had a flag far different from Jeb’s plane.

Rob, Jeb thought as he looked at the face of the young pilot yet again. Jeb had nightmares about Rob’s final moments for what seemed like forever. At Rob’s funeral, Jeb saw a young woman -no older than Val- crying with a young child. He seemed to know that it was Rob’s wife and young child.

Jeb closed the book, and sat back down into his chair. He pulled out his phone, and went to the ‘Call’ option. He put it up to his ear, and waited for his old friend to pick up.

“Hey, Gene,” Jeb said as he looked up at the ceiling. “Yeah, long time no see. Listen, I just heard about the war… Can I come down to the KSC and talk? Really? Awesome, thanks a lot. Yeah… Okay, talk to you later. Bye.” Jeb hung the phone up, and got ready for his trip back home.

Time: 13:00 Hours

Jeb stepped out of the car that he had used to get to the KSC. He closed his eyes and breathed in the air that he hadn’t breathed for 10 years. He saw Gene walking out of the Administration Building, and waved, trotting over to him.

“Hey,” Jeb said as he shook hands with Gene. “How’s it been?” Gene smiled as they went inside. The air-conditioned building felt wonderful, as the air outside was warm and humid, which was very uncommon in the NSK.

“Good,” Gene said as he and Jeb went into Gene’s office. “We’ve been working on our ‘Young Pilots’ program, and we’ve got a few good pilots; None as good as you of course.” Jeb smirked at this.

“So, what’s this you wanted to talk to me about?” Gene asked as he sat down. “Well,” Jeb said, sitting down as well. “I want to come out of retirement. The fact that we’re at war again….. I want to help out in any way I can.”

Gene looked at Jeb, before replying, “Alright…. Let me warm up the Aries for you.” Jeb was confused. “The Aries? What do I need the Aries for?” Gene looked at him in mock confusion. “Why, to take the pilot test course.” He replied as he began to walk to the door. Oh Kerbol have mercy, Jeb thought as he followed Gene out to the hangar.

Time: 13:15 Hours

This is sooooo humiliating, Jeb thought as he strapped into the plane that he hadn’t flown in who knows how long. “You alright in there Jeb?” Gene said from the control tower, biting his cheek trying not to laugh out loud.

“Shut up Gene,” Jeb said through gritted teeth. “Now, This is ‘Aries Leader, requesting takeoff from Runway 27.” Jeb ground his teeth together even harder. “What was that Jeb?” Gene asked, grinning from ear-to-ear. “Could you repeat that?”

“GENE!” Jeb shouted into the mic. “I SWEAR TO KERBOL, I WILL PERSONALLY GO UP INTO THE TOWER AND GIVE MYSELF CLEARANCE TO TAKEOFF BEFORE PUNCHING YOU!!” Gene began to burst out laughing.

“Are- Aries 1 you ar- are cleared for takeoff,” Gene said in between gasps of breath from his laughter. “Thank you,” Jeb said now calmed. Let’s get this show on the road.

Time: 13:20 Hours

The engine fired up without a hitch. As the craft rolled forwards, Jeb wondered what the new pilots would be like. The plane nosed up perfectly, and Jeb began his standard maneuvers. A triple loop there, followed by a double half-twist, and so on, so on, until Jeb had gone through all of his technical moves, including going all the way up into the stratosphere and falling to the ground like a fiery comet.

“Hey, is Bill still working in the R&D buildings?” Jeb asked as he passed by the tower for the umpteenth time. “Yeah, he’s currently teaching a class right now, but he should be done in about 30 minutes.” Maybe it’s time to pay a visit to good old Bill, Jeb thought as he angled the plane towards the R&D complex.

Time: 13:45 Hours

“And so that’s why nitroglycerine does not go on the tails of spacecraft,” Bill said as he closed the slideshow. “Now, who has questions?” He said after shutting off the projector and turning on the lights.

“Oh, come on guys!” Bill said to a couple of young pilots who had just broken apart from a very obvious kiss. “What did I tell you guys about flirting in class?” The two young pilots blushed, and the boy said, “We weren’t flirting.”

“Then what’s that lipstick doing on your face?” Bill smirked, drawing giggles from the rest of the students, and causing the two lovebirds to blush an even darker shade of pink.

“Alright, so-“ He was interrupted by a low roar going overhead. “Oh, what now?” The low roar turned into a massively loud one, before going into a BOOOOOMMMMM going overhead. “KERBOL!” Bill shouted as he ran out of the classroom. He saw a bunch of the other teachers looking up at the ceiling, trying to find out what was happening.

“Steve!” Bill called out to one of the pilots who had just graduated. “What’s going on?” Steve smiled at Bill, before turning around and walking the other way. “Steve! STEVE!” Bill said as he tried to get his attention. What is with him? Bill thought as Steve returned to him, with a grin. 

“Let’s just say that it’s a very famous person, who’s coming out of retirement.” Steve said as he walked away again, as Bill continued to ponder this. “Nooooooo way,” Bill muttered to himself. As he began to run out of the R&D complex, he realized tat he still had a class.

“Class dismissed!”  He shouted as he skidded past the door. Now, all there was left was to find Jeb.

Time: 14:00 Hours

Jeb stepped out of the little training craft, loving how easily flight came back to him. As he was receiving results of the test from Gene, Bob emerged from the door of the hangar.

“Hey,” Jeb said as he prepared for a hug, before seeing a weird green sludge. “Eugh. On second thought, handshake.” They shook hands, and after doing the standard meeting; ‘How are you,’ ‘What’s been happening,’ etc, they decided to have Jeb go on a tour of the new KSC, which had been refurbished, and re-designed about 2 years ago.

As they were preparing for a test flight, an old enemy walked through the streets half-way across the world.

Time: 02:00 Hours, Dystrios Standard time

The ex-leader of the Eastern Empire, Shaun Kerman, walked through the streets of Coast-town, holding an umbrella up to keep him from getting wet. The heavy rain had battered the Island, caused by Hurricane Danny. He pulled the collar of his heavy coat up further, shivering a little bit as he continued walking through the category 2 storm.

Shaun saw his face on a poster, and began to read it. He smirked as he read,

WANTED

Name: Shaun K.

Crimes: Rioting, Looting, Vandalism, Attempted Rebellion, 

Reward: $5,505

If found, contact the Dystrios National Police (056-563-0990)

I’ll have to ask the new police force to take this down, Shaun thought as he continued to walk to the meeting place. His new phone buzzed, telling him that the hurricane had turned into a category 3. Because of the size of the island, the hurricane was just hanging out overhead, gaining strength. Shaun, however wasn’t worried about the hurricane. He was thinking about beginning a war.

Time: 03:00 Hours

Shaun sat down at his new desk, happy to be in a chair of power again. He put the phone up to his ear, and called the leaders of the Jesalian Empire and Slavisnia.

“Hello,” He said in a cool voice as the rulers picked up. “I am calling you both today to discuss a matter of critical importance. As you know, I have declared war on the National States of Kerbin, who dragged the Eastern Empire and the United States of Kerbolia into the fight. I now ask you to assist me in the fight.”

“Vat’s in it vor as?” The leader of Slavisnia said with a thick accent. Shaun gave a cruel smile and replied, “The world.”

“Wait… The Jesalian Empire is a peaceful nation. We wouldn’t want to get into a war.” The other leader said. “Well, the Dystrios Empire will offer protection, military vehicles, and reinforcements if needed.” That seemed to satisfy the other leaders.

“Now, are you with me?” Shaun asked as nervous anticipation filled him. “Da,” The Slavisnia leader said. “Yes,” The leader from the Jesalian Empire said. “But I will need some protection.” Good… Shaun thought as he prepared his defense.

Revertere in alis Alba (The return of the White Wings in Latin)

Chapter 3

Time: 06:00 Hours, NSK Central Standard time

The meeting room was filled with crucial KSC staff, who all discussed the plans of attack on the nation of Dystrios. A map showed the weather over the area, and Gene stepped to the front to begin the presentation.

“Welcome everyone to this meeting. As you know, the Dystrios Empire has declared war on us and all of our allies. We are planning an attack, but as we do not know how we are going to attack, I have called this emergency meeting.” The map showed satellite images of the world, and a political map laid underneath it. Hurricane Danny was showed over the Dystrios Empire.

“Now, as you know, Hurricane Danny is currently over the DE, and weather paths aren’t showing it leaving any time soon. The weather service has upgraded this storm to a category 4, with winds up to 245 km/h winds. The storm is expected to hit category 5 by about noon.

Now, on to how we will attack. Some have suggested an ICBM, but our top scientists have said that the wind speed could knock the payload off course, and the clouds would make targeting near impossible.” Wernher Von Kerman, one of the greatest scientists in the world, nodded in agreement after Gene continued.

“A naval attack, suggested by Bill, has been deemed too dangerous, as the massive waves would capsize the boats.” Bill’s face fell when he heard that. “We appear to be out of options,” Gene said. “If anyone has an idea, say it now.” This is too easy, Jeb thought.

“I have an idea,“ Jeb said as he stood up and Gene groaned. “I suggest an air attack. We could contact the USK to send in some planes, and have them re-fuel here. Then the USK planes and our planes will fly to an EE airfield, re-fuel, and pick up some EE planes before attacking Dystrios with 3 squads of planes.” Jeb looked excited. “It’s the perfect plan!”

“And how are we going to get those pilots?” Gene said.  “How are we going to convince 5 pilots from each nation to fly over 500km, go into combat, AND go into a category 5 hurricane?” Jeb’s face fell, when a voice from the back called out, “We’ll go.”

Jeb turned and saw a group of young pilots, They had a emblem on their shoulders, the sign of the great ‘White Wing’ troop. They were lead by a young lady, whose name tag said SGT. Maxxy. 

“Sargent Maxxy Kerman reporting for duty.” She said, saluting all of the military personnel in the room. “Here’s John, Scott, and Lisa.” Maxxy said as she pointed to the other pilots in the group. Jeb walked up to Maxxy.

“Are you willing to fly to another continent, fight alongside two other nationalities, go into a war zone, fight the enemy, and do that all inside of a category 5 hurricane?” Jeb asked.

“The ‘White Wing’ motto is ‘Be prepared,’ and we take that very seriously.” Jeb smiled, and Gene ended the meeting and called the USK.

Time: 15:00 Hours

The elite ‘Lightning’ squad landed gracefully at the runway, and a re-fueling truck drove up to them. The pilots got out, and the leader, about Maxxy’s age, led the group over to the ‘White Wing’ group. The leader, Lt. Sam, introduced the pilots.

“Not many of us were very keen on the fact we were flying straight into a massive storm,” Sam said as the trucks began to fuel up the second and third planes. “But, when others run away, we run towards.” Sam smiled, before seeing Jeb.

“Well, we’ve got a 3 hour flight, plus a massive air fight, so let’s get on our way.”

Time: 03:00 Hours, Dystrios Standard Time

“The USK pilots have landed at the KSC, and they are going towards the Eastern Empire.” The radar official said to Shaun as he walked past. “Good,” Shaun said as the official followed him. “Make sure to monitor their movements and report to me as soon as they are within 100km.”

Shaun walked into a large room, and saw the ex-leader of Dystrios, Manny Kerman, tied up on the floor. A cruel smile lit Shaun’s face as he saw the leader, helpless on the ground.

“Are you comfortable? Too cold? Too hot? How’s the food?” Shaun said, almost conversationally. “Let me go,” The old leader said. “You will not get away-“ 

“Yeah, yeah, yeah I know,” Shaun said. “‘You won’t get away with this,’ ‘You will fall,’ blah blah blah.” Shaun picked up a gun.

“Now listen, you have no purpose in the new Dystrios,” Shaun said as he paced the room. “The fact that you are still here is beyond me, but now you won’t be.” Manny’s eyes widened. “I have great plans for this nation- No, scratch that; the WORLD.” Shaun gave a maniacal laugh as lightning flashed.

Shaun pointed the gun at Manny’s head. “Too bad you won’t bee here to see it.” And he pulled the trigger, letting off a string of bullets, which went straight through his head. “Now,” Shaun said, talking to no one as the rain continued to batter the building. “Back to business.”

Time: 18:00 Hours

As the planes hit the ground at Sandwood, Jeb saw the city of Algoria, which had been fixed after the war. Now, as the re-fueling trucks came to help, and 5 of the Eastern Empire’s ‘Tornado’ planes had been escorted to the runway, Jeb flashed back to his last mission.

“ROB!” Jeb’s voice shouted at him from far away, as he remembered the liberation of Mountainside. He saw the burning wreckage of Rob’s plane, and then his family.

“Jeb?” Maxxy said to him as she walked past, preparing to meet the new pilots. “Are you okay?” Jeb wiped a few tears that he didn’t know he had off his face, and said, “I’m fine, just a little…”

“Nervous?” Maxxy said as she put her hand on his shoulder. “I was nervous at my first mission too. It’s just one of those things.” Jeb argued in protest. “Actually, this is my 115th mission.” Maxxy smiled.

“Oh, I know that, it’s just that after your break, it’ll be like this is your first flight.” Maxxy turned to see if anyone was watching. “Jeb, you’re the best pilot I know. You’re the reason I even became a pilot. And, well; If anyone can take down Dystrios, I know it’s going to be you.” Maxxy turned to walk away, but said, “I know everything about you Jeb. I’m sorta your number 1 fan.”

“Oh really?” Jeb said, smirking a little. “Tell me: What was the first plane I have ever flown?” Maxxy thought about it before confidently answering, “Your first flight was the M-10 test-“ She started before Jeb gave a buzzer sound.

“My first flight was in the M-1 when I was 8. I went to an airshow and got to fly with John Kerman.” Jeb grinned. “Better luck next time.”

Jeb went over to the Eastern Empire pilots, and they shook hands and introduced themselves. As they began to walk towards the planes, Jeb called out “Wait!” and the entire group halted.

“There’s this thing that all of the pilots in the first war did before a flight,” Jeb said as the group huddled around him. “We would all line our planes up, go to the side of the runway, and then sprinted to their planes to see who was the fastest.” Jeb smiled. “Unless you’re too chicken.”

5 minutes, 3 re-explanations of the rules, and 1 false start, the pilots were lined up on the runway, ready for the race to begin. A young cadet held up a gun- with blanks in it of course- and gave the call.

“On your mark….. Get set…” The pilots got down and prepared for launch. “GO!” the cadet shouted as the gun went off. Jeb pumped his arms fast and hard, Maxxy was close behind, but Jeb hit the ladder and began to climb. He scrambled into the plane, and launched the engine. As he climbed, he looked back and saw the rest of the pilots getting off the ground.

“WOOOOOOHHHHOOOOOO!!!” Jeb shouted over the radio as a collection of groans and mumbles crowded the channel, from pilots obviously disappointed at their loss.

As they began to get into formation, Jeb keyed the radio and contacted Maxxy. “Hey,” He said to her “Do you also know my fighting techniques?” Maxxy replied with a “Yes.”

“Why do you want to know?” She asked. “How many do you know?” Jeb asked, still wanting to know what she knew. “Everything from Angle dive to Zoom and boom.” Jeb replied. “Just wondering.”

And with that, they prepared for the hour-long flight to Dystrios.

14 hours ago, SpaceplaneAddict said:

This is great story material! I'm looking forward to the restlessness of my fidgity waiting!

And I can't wait for your

*Determination

13 hours ago, Kosmonaut said:

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHH THE SUSPENSE

How do you do that 'Getting hit by a planet tends to ruin your day' Thing?

CHAPTER 4!!!!!!!!! (Sorry I wasn't able to get to you guys over the weekend; Schedule's been crazy lol)

Chapter 4

Time: 19:00 Hours

“Kerbol!” Jeb shouted out into the mic as lightning flashed. He almost couldn’t hear the reply thanks to the rain, but it was something along the likes of “Language Jeb.”  The wings of the ‘Raptor’ shook in the high winds, which threatened to tear off. The wings had been stress-tested at wind speeds of about 300km/s, but Jeb still felt worried. 

“I got something on my radar,” Maxxy said as they continued to streak forwards. Jeb checked his radar, and saw 9 red dots moving towards the 15 green dots.

“All units, prepare for combat. arm the missiles and prepare your countermeasures.” Jeb looked out of the windscreen and said “It’s showtime.”

Time: 19:05 Hours

The planes split up into 5 different groups, each of which had USK, EE, and NSK aircraft in them. The ‘Hurricane’ aircraft from Dystrios came into view, and the aircraft began their engagement. Jeb locked onto one immediately, and launched a missile. The missile hit, and Jeb went over to another, attempting to keep his craft from getting blown out of the sky.

He radioed Maxxy and shouted out “EVASIVE TRAP!” Maxxy understood immediately, and launched a missile. The enemy plane avoided it with ease, but was blown out of the sky by a missile fired Jeb.

“YEAH!” Jeb shouted as the enemy spiraled down to the ocean below. A group of EE planes was locked onto a group of 3 enemies, and the NSK planes had 2. The USK planes were having troubles, but they remained on the tail of two of the enemy planes.

Jeb was just about to hit the microphone, but was interrupted by a massive BOOM!, and a bright light. “WOAH!” Jeb said as he spiraled away, seeing another aircraft. “Jeb, are you okay?” Maxxy said to him as he engaged the enemy. 

“Yeah, I’m just fine; How’s the plane?” Maxxy replied, with a little bit of humor, “The lightning hit your plane and bounced right off. The re-bound hit a DE fighter, which blew up.” Well, that happened. “Really?” Jeb said. “Yeah, I’m sure. The sparks made a pretty effect on your plane.”

After that heart-stopping moment, the Allies succeeded in taking down every enemy aircraft, except for one which apparently had received the retreat order. The planes all re-grouped and flew in perfect formation through the hurricane. As Jeb was cycling through the settings on his dash, the entire thing went dark. Jeb also noticed a lack of power from the engine.

“Hang on guys, I’m having some issues with the dash. Engine is also messed up I think.” He flipped a few switches, cycled the batteries, even shut off the battery and turning it on again. But just as the lights flickered to life, the engine popped, and died.

(Thanks for your support guys; It means so much that I, a nobody from Texas, am able to make stuff that people (Somewhat) like.)

Edited by DarkOwl57

I decided to add a nice back-story time; ENJOY! :)

Chapter 5

Time: 19:35 Hours

The fact that the plane was moving at mach 3 helped, but still, the plane landed at a mere 25 m/s. As the other pilots got out of their craft, Jeb tried to get the craft fired back up. He flipped switches, pressed buttons, turned dials, but nothing worked. The Eastern Empire planes were pulled into the hangar, and the other craft were being re-fueled. As the re-fueling truck pulled up to him, Jeb motioned with his hands and mouthed No good. 

Jeb got out of the plane and punched the side of the craft. He turned around, and saw the ‘White Wing’ squad behind him, struggling to keep in laughter. “Okay, what is it?” Jeb asked as they burst out laughing.

“Jebediah Kerman?” A cool, crisp female voice said from behind him. “Yes?” Jeb asked. “Oh my….” She said as she reached into her purse and pulled out a mirror. Jeb looked at it and was shocked by what he saw. His normally brown hair was tipped in black, and his flat hairstyle was ruined by a massive afro.

After Jeb spent a few minutes fixing his hair, he turned to the lady. “Thanks,” Jeb said as he gave her the mirror. “How may I help you?” The lady extended her hand,, and Jeb shook it.

“Haydi Kerman, NSKSA. I’m here to take you to Gene, but you need my help to get there now, I guess.” Jeb looked at the plane, and nodded yes.

“Alright. Because of the time of day, we’ll leave in the morning. For now, though, It’s time for you to rest.” Haydi said as she steered Jeb to the jet that they were going to take. Jeb went into the pilot’s quarters, and slept the night away.

And in his dreams, Jeb had a dream he hadn’t had in a long time.

Time: 15:00 Hours, 17 years earlier

Jeb put his books into his locker, and closed his door to see Valentina there, smiling. “Hi,” Jeb said as he kissed her. Jeb was the high-school quarterback, and with his 6-foot 2 height, he was the envy of the entire school “How’s it going?”

“Well,” Valentina replied, looking up at the ceiling as they walked. “Mr. Peter gave me a ton of biology homework, Ms. Smith wants us to learn the basic principles of gravity,” Jeb replied “Ouch.” Val flashed him a movie star smile, and continued on “Agreed. What else? Oh yeah! and, the homecoming game is soon, and so I was wondering about wether we should try out for the kings and queens this time.”

Valentina, one of the star cheerleaders, was one of the brightest kids in the school, maybe even the country. Her beautiful black hair fell down to her shoulders, and her height, 5-foot 7, made her just able to reach his cheek. The two were perfect together, and they had been voted ‘Most likely to get married after school’ 2 years in a row.

“Yeah, of course.” Jeb said as Valentina squealed in delight. She gave him a light peck on the cheek. The bell rang, and Jeb ran to his history class.

Time: 20:00 Hours

Jeb and his friends sat at the table, eating their food and joking around. Valentina walked in, and after ordering her food, joined the group. The group- Jeb, Bill, Bob, and star receiver Sam- were like brothers, and they continued their conversation.

“So, are you going to try for your 100th goal?” Sam asked as he took a sip of his milkshake. “I don’t know,” Jeb answered as he ate fries. “ If I did go for 100, I wouldn’t be able to throw you the ball.” Jeb grinned as Sam gave him a light shove.

“I personally think that you can do it.” Val said as she stole some of Jeb’s fries. “I know that the Bobcats aren’t a real threat, so you’ll get them easy.” Val smiled at Jeb as she saw her food coming. “Ah, food. Thank you,” She said as she took the tray.

“Good Kerbol Val, are you going eat that all yourself?” Bill asked as he saw the tray. “Yes,” Val said as she sipped her own milkshake. “And don’t you get any ideas about eating my stuff either.” Her tray had a double bacon cheeseburger, one order of fries, one milkshake, and a large soda.

“Well, I’m going to try for number 100, but it’s going to be interesting.” Jeb said as he took a couple of fries from Val. “Ey!” She said through the cheeseburger in her mouth. “You ate my fries, I eat yours.” Jeb said as he popped them into his mouth.

“But I was hungry,” Valentina said as she drank the soda. “Well so am I.” Jeb smiled at her and lightly kissed her. Val smiled and shrugged. “Fair enough,” she said sipping the soda.

“Well, I’m going to go,” Sam said as he and Bill stood up. “You coming?” He said to Jeb. “Naw, I’ll catch up with you guys.” Jeb said as he and Val snuggled in their seats. “Ah, love,” Bob said from his seat. Jeb pointed to the door and said “Out.” Bill laughed and replied, “Aw, are you sure? I could film it and show you guys tips.”

“Shoo. Leave. Exit” Jeb said as he made a shooing motion with his hands. “Well, if you insist,” Bill said as he walked out. “Sam needs someone to throw to him anyways.” Bill said as he closed the door.

Jeb got up, and motioned for Val to follow him. “Where are we going?” As Jeb got in his truck. “Somewhere I know you’re going to love.” They drove for about 30 minutes, before going to a barn.

“Jeb,” Valentina said as Jeb opened the door. “You know I don’t do ani-“ She stopped as she saw a glistening white plane. The small plane, able to fit two people, was super small, and the single engine configuration made it look streamlined and quick.

“Bill helped me with the wings, and Bob helped me design the thing.” Jeb said as he steeped around the plane, feeling for any dents, scratches, or anything that could make the plane look bad. He turned towards Val.

“I actually made it for you.” Jeb blushed a little bit and hoped that the darkness covered his face. “Get in.” He said as he stepped on the wing to get in the seat. “What? Jeb; Hey Jeb, wait up.” Valentina said as she chased him up the wing.

Jeb was already in the back seat, and grinned at her. “Oh no, the co-pilots seat is taken; Looks like you’re going to have to sit in the front.” Valentina frowned at him. “No.” Jeb unbuckled himself and got out.

“Aw, you’re no fun.” Jeb said, getting into the pilots seat. Valentina sat down into the back seat, and saw that there was controls there. “Hey, Jeb? Why is the control stick back here?” She asked as Jeb buckled in. “That’s so the co-pilot can fly. Or in case the pilot gets hurt in combat, or if-“ Jeb started before Valentina said, “I’m going to fly?”

Jeb looked around in mock confusion before replying “I don’t see any other pilots around here.” He flipped some switches, and the indoor lights came on. “Are you ready?” Jeb called back to Val, who said yes. “Good. Now, put the headset on and hit the switch on the right ear cover. That’s going to turn your microphone on and off. The dial on the left ear is the volume. When I turn the engine on, it’s going to get real noisy real fast.” Jeb put his headset on, and said

“Can you hear me?” Valentina replied “Yes, go ahead and fire it up.” The rear engine fired, and they began to roll along the ground. Jeb maneuvered the plane to a flat piece of land, and he sat there, preparing for flight.

9 hours ago, The solid fuel chemist said:

Ok, you've got me hooked by this point. I have a feeling this is going to be right up there with forgotten space program and Emiko. Wishing the best of luck to you :wink:

Dang those are some high standards...... Thanks!

This is shaping up nicely! Do it right and it could stay on the first page of mission reports for a while (I wish mine could!). It's good you have a bit of a buffer - gives you some time when RL catches up to you. Come to think of it, I should probably do that for my KSP Megastructures story (link in my signature [insert discreet advertising here :P]) Check it out if you want (discreet advertisement here as well :P)

Anyway, nice story :) 

Edited by TheEpicSquared

3 hours ago, TheEpicSquared said:

This is shaping up nicely! Do it right and it could stay on the first page of mission reports for a while (I wish mine could!). It's good you have a bit of a buffer - gives you some time when RL catches up to you. Come to think of it, I should probably do that for my KSP Megastructures story (link in my signature [insert discreet advertising here :P]) Check it out if you want (discreet advertisement here as well :P)

Anyway, nice story :) 

Currently on 13, so I'm making the push towards being right on the buffer. (I guess that the advertising is okay :P)

Edited by DarkOwl57

Alright, so I'm debating between 2 ideas;

1) I update as soon as I pass the 5 chapter buffer (Until I finish the story of course). Pros: More frequent updates. Cons: Going to be VERY erratic.

2) I type the story over the course of the week, and upload as many chapters as I can (until I hit the buffer), and release them on like Wednesday. Pros: I could mass-produce chapters with ease. Cons: It would be a week before you guys get the next chapters.

Comment which scheme you want.

So have you built any of the ships or simulated/flown the combat missions in the story @DarkOwl57? If so, cool pictures please! If not, Fan Works may be a better spot for it, and don't forget to join the thread for writers to talk about writing over there...which is called, amazingly, A Thread For Writers To Talk About Writing :) 

12 minutes ago, Kuzzter said:

So have you built any of the ships or simulated/flown the combat missions in the story @DarkOwl57? If so, cool pictures please! If not, Fan Works may be a better spot for it, and don't forget to join the thread for writers to talk about writing over there...which is called, amazingly, A Thread For Writers To Talk About Writing :) 

I would do pics, it's just that I haven't got

1) Most of the planes built yet,

2) I don't really have very much time because school decides that students need to stay at school 24/7 (I <3 Summer Break),

3) I would probably loose every dogfight in the story,

4) I don't have any mods for like the airstrips or the hurricane in chapter 4, and

5) TBH, I really don't know how to access the in-game screenshots and put them up on a website that the forums accepts. 

If you guys could come up with any ideas to help me with these issues, thanks.

So have you built any of the ships or simulated/flown the combat missions in the story @DarkOwl57

Yes, I have built the M-1(Which was out-dated in the first war. (Basically the equivalent of using a Vietnam type fighter jet against the F-22)), M-13 (Now old, obsolete, and basically used for over-balanced fighting (i.e. An America sized power against a lower power like the Middle East)), the K-1 'Tornado', and the USK-01 'Lightning.' I have plans to build the 'Hornet' (EE-01), and the 'Hurricane' (The bad guy plane). My navy boats are just the KM-1010, which is a massive destroyer that basically breaks my game in two and chucks it into a lake. I am also going to use fighters from my 'Fighter Jet Speed Test' (Shameless advertising is shameless) For other nations planes.

That's just a long way of saying, Yes, I have built a few planes, but not all of them by a long-shot.

If so, cool pictures please!

If you want to know what the M-13 looks like, go over to EnterElysium's 'World War K' series (Season 3, episode 6) and the M-13 is based off of what EE's plane is. And, (Spoilers) the J-01 is going to (Hopefully) look like the F-35.

p.s. The J-01 is going to show up in chapter 8.

Edited by DarkOwl57

1 hour ago, SpaceplaneAddict said:

Ya know, Dark, I think it's best if you decide what you will do. We can give advice, but really, it's all about how stuff IRL treats ya.

Personally I like scheme 2, as it leaves room for discussion :)

*Insanity is normal.

Well, while IRL does affect things, most of my typing actually gets done during free-time in classes, which is why most of my stuff comes out from about 9 am to 3 pm.

Scheme 2 is probably my personal favorite, but with my history, I'd probably forget and let the thread die on accident lol. So it's 1-0, Scheme 2 with the lead.