Kerbin Circumnavigation 1.2 - Aviator Challenge Continuation

2 hours ago, Jarin said:

What record is this? Highest sustained I was able to find at any altitude band was 1751.6

Look at helmutK's mission reports they say highest speed achieved is 1755 m/s

4 hours ago, Foxster said:

Might have been during a dive?

I don't think so, air resistance at that speed far out weighs the force of gravity, and rapiers flame out at 1751 m/s so a unpowered 1755 m/s dive in atmo...I don't think so

Also pro tip, use the rotate tool to angle your wings. Wing produce very little drag at higher angle of attacks then body parts so, a perfect wing angle would be one that lets you fly perfectly prograde with out pitching up or down to much

Also I might be able to beat the 38 minute barrier, landed at 37:49  but sense my craft was a test to see how little fuel I could get by with I never put a chute on it, landed at 300m/s and could not slow down fast enough before flipping off the run way and exploding

1 hour ago, Tidus Klein said:

I don't think so, air resistance at that speed far out weighs the force of gravity, and rapiers flame out at 1751 m/s so a unpowered 1755 m/s dive in atmo...I don't think so

Could get that on the descent end a upper-atmo hop, maybe. @HelmutK around to weigh in?

13 hours ago, Tidus Klein said:

Look at helmutK's mission reports they say highest speed achieved is 1755 m/s

Don't look at the speed in the report. After a quickload distance and speed is not exactly.

My fastest is 1751.6 like Jarin but my preffered cruising speed is 1748-1750 at a lower altitude to prevent a flame out.

13 hours ago, Tidus Klein said:

Also I might be able to beat the 38 minute barrier, landed at 37:49  but sense my craft was a test to see how little fuel I could get by with I never put a chute on it, landed at 300m/s and could not slow down fast enough before flipping off the run way and exploding

I think my fastest impact was under your time :D . Landing in one piece takes a lot of time but you are on the right way to beat me :)

http://imgur.com/IrhIc0H
http://imgur.com/v6ehzoO

landed to far from the run way but I think I'll have it next run

16 minutes ago, HelmutK said:

Don't look at the speed in the report. After a quickload distance and speed is not exactly.

My fastest is 1751.6 like Jarin but my preffered cruising speed is 1748-1750 at a lower altitude to prevent a flame out.

I think my fastest impact was under your time :D . Landing in one piece takes a lot of time but you are on the right way to beat me :)

I think I just did if I can get closer to the run way

Great :)

but the parachute is still open. It cuts at 0 m/s

Where do you have placed the parachute? Parachutes and cones are not allowed to place on the back of the rapiers.

But is the decision by zolotiyeruki

I'm sure you can do it anyway :)

1 hour ago, HelmutK said:

Great :)

but the parachute is still open. It cuts at 0 m/s

Where do you have placed the parachute? Parachutes and cones are not allowed to place on the back of the rapiers.

But is the decision by zolotiyeruki

I'm sure you can do it anyway :)

Ya I hit the button a little early, I was still going 2.3 m/s when I took that, and its mounted on the tank under the tailplane 

Also if ya look I left the engines on by a little as well, landing these things like this brings a whole new meaning to coming in hot

It kills me to say this, but when the stakes are this high, I have to be pretty strict on the rules--you need a screenshot at the start of your flight showing no oxidizer, you need a screenshot in the middle of the flight (on the other side of the planet), and the final screenshot needs to show 0.0m/s and your final time.

Also, FYI, you can hit F1 to capture a screenshot.  It'll be stored in c:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Kerbal Space Program\screenshots

Edited by zolotiyeruki

Hi all :)

Ok sub-38 is done :cool:

We fly definitely on the limit of the 1.2 physics. I have make some tests and speed is limited by the altitude.

You can save some seconds (only some seconds) if you fly low as possible near the speedlimit on this altitude and hold this speed without a flame out.

With this new plane i can reach the limit at lower altitudes and so its faster than my older version, but it's not so easy to handle.

37:59  with a smooth descent. Maybe i can land more agressive and get a better time :confused:

https://youtu.be/UWke0ExqfA0

@HelmutK

The accent and landing is where most of your time is lost.

ive leaned if your stay at cruising altitude until you hit the KSC moutian range then do a powered dive, / trying to stay at the heat limit of your craft. You can approach the run way at near 1200 m/s.

landing gear provide a ton of drag, opening them near the start of the KSC land plot lets you slow down to 600 m/s very quickly then open your chute to slow down even faster. 

Done right it's defiantly one heck of a ride

I will do another run in tomarrow

:Edit run 2

Edited by Tidus Klein

18 hours ago, HelmutK said:

Hi all :)

Ok sub-38 is done :cool:

We fly definitely on the limit of the 1.2 physics. I have make some tests and speed is limited by the altitude.

You can save some seconds (only some seconds) if you fly low as possible near the speedlimit on this altitude and hold this speed without a flame out.

With this new plane i can reach the limit at lower altitudes and so its faster than my older version, but it's not so easy to handle.

37:59  with a smooth descent. Maybe i can land more agressive and get a better time :confused:

https://youtu.be/UWke0ExqfA0

Congratulations!  That's quite an achievement!

17 hours ago, Tidus Klein said:

@HelmutK

The accent and landing is where most of your time is lost.

Let me quote myself "37:59  with a smooth descent" :wink: and to use the TT18 at start is against the rules I made for myself like the rule: always land on this f...ing grey strip.

With the Video I want to show all people that it's possible to make good times without any mods, pilot assistants and special tricks.

More agressive landing :kiss::

20170415235039_1x1pon.jpg

20170415235050_1dkqqz.jpg

9 minutes ago, HelmutK said:

Let me quote myself "37:59  with a smooth descent" :wink: and to use the TT18 at start is against the rules I made for myself like the rule: always land on this f...ing grey strip.

With the Video I want to show all people that it's possible to make good times without any mods, pilot assistants and special tricks.

More agressive landing :kiss::

20170415235039_1x1pon.jpg

20170415235050_1dkqqz.jpg

I didn't see where the launch struts were against the rules.

I see you adopted my angled wing design,    

I can go faster if I use the version with 3 engines instead of my skylone look alike. Kinda wanted to see how well it will do.

need to change the position of my chute too it makes me pitch up hard when it deploys....

also helmutk seems it's a bidding war between you and me for the fastest time

Edited by Tidus Klein

9 minutes ago, Tidus Klein said:

I didn't see where the launch struts were against the rules. / Read my post again :rolleyes::kiss:

I see you adopted my angled wing design, / :DI already used that in the old challenge 2 years ago. Look at the pictures from my entry in the current challenge.

I can go faster if I use the version with 3 engines instead of my skylone look alike. Kinda wanted to see how well it will do. / We will see :)

need to change the position of my chute too it makes me pitch up hard when it deploys....

Do'nt misunderstand me, you have my full respect for your performance. It's a lot of work to reach these times.

2 hours ago, HelmutK said:

Impressiv Tidus, but where is the runway??:D

by the way, zolotyeruki my new time is 37:56 ... on the runway. Please look at the upper post :kiss:

XD well its to the left....somewhere...but you try landing this thing at 1200m/s and see how close ya get :P

You guys are amazing!  I tried and tried and just couldn't control heat adequately.  I need to watch your videos and learn...

I'm still trying for the distance record... However, I think I was already pretty near the best possible performance with a wheesly.  I've been experimenting with Goliath, but the drag is just shocking... can't seem to get consumption down to anything near Wheesly.

I need to look and see if there's a modded category... I think I could really do something impressive with just procedural wings.  (Keeper of the challenge?  Thoughts on wings?)

4 hours ago, daniel911t said:

You guys are amazing!  I tried and tried and just couldn't control heat adequately.  I need to watch your videos and learn...

I'm still trying for the distance record... However, I think I was already pretty near the best possible performance with a wheesly.  I've been experimenting with Goliath, but the drag is just shocking... can't seem to get consumption down to anything near Wheesly.

I need to look and see if there's a modded category... I think I could really do something impressive with just procedural wings.  (Keeper of the challenge?  Thoughts on wings?)

Hi, I'm the Keeper of the Challenge here (btw, I like that title, makes me feel important!)  Given the history already in this challenge, I'm reluctant to change the rules.  Besides, with autostrut, making big wings out of the wing segments isn't as bad as it used to be.

Wheeslies are nice and efficient, and you can probably get around several times using them, but there are huge advantages to flying high and fast--less drag, and orbital effects start to take effect--when you're going 2/3 of orbital velocity, you need a lot less lift, so you have less parasitic drag.

For heat management, I've found the best approach is to use a fairing with a very sharp point.  The way I understand the game's physics, the compression heating at the nose is related somehow to the shape and frontal area of the piece you have on the nose.  Lots of players used to use an antenna on the nose in 1.1 (IIRC) for this reason, until Squad made antennas break in the atmosphere in 1.2.

You're welcome to take my design (the one that goes around 14 times) and see if you can stretch it even further--add a couple more LF tanks and a couple more Big-S strakes to get more fuel.

• 2 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.