Kerbin Circumnavigation 1.2 - Aviator Challenge Continuation

• 3 months later...

So, here's my submission for the circumnavigation challenge: The Marco-3

https://imgur.com/a/VeUkG

1 Circumnavigation, with a final time of 1:40:53. Took me a few designs before I finally nailed it. I could probably go faster, but I'm happy with its performance. Sorry it's not in a pretty format, still trying to figure out how to post images on this forum, it's not as straightforward as others I've posted on

Edited by Smokey the Bear

• 1 month later...

Hi guys!

I'm new here, and I have a question about badges and stuff.

When I complete a challenge, I'm supposed to get a badge. Does it appear automatically in the bottom part, or do you guys give me the image file which I will have to insert myself?

Anyways I'm trying this out.

Wish me luck!

15 hours ago, Ho Lam Kerman said:

Hi guys!

I'm new here, and I have a question about badges and stuff.

When I complete a challenge, I'm supposed to get a badge. Does it appear automatically in the bottom part, or do you guys give me the image file which I will have to insert myself?

Anyways I'm trying this out.

Wish me luck!

You have to put it into your signature yourself. The thread admin will award the badge. 

2 minutes ago, Andetch said:

You have to put it into your signature yourself. The thread admin will award the badge. 

Thanks! I'm trying it out tomorrow, when I get the time. 

This is going to involve lots and lots of timewarp... :confused:

15 hours ago, Ho Lam Kerman said:

Thanks! I'm trying it out tomorrow, when I get the time. 

This is going to involve lots and lots of timewarp... :confused:

I will be doing this when I get my KSP capable laptop back from the service centre! 
Be warned - flying on timewarp can destroy your plane, and it can make it very hard to control causing deathspins! I would suggest no more than x3 timewarp to be safe!

Hooray!

I finally got my plane around Kerbin!

Total flight time: 4:40:00

Crew: 4

Circumnavigations: 1

By the way, if you think that looks familiar, then it is - it's actually a beefed-up stock Mallard.

4qC96mx.jpg

On the runway.

wr04T2b.jpg

Liftoff!

kOhY4dR.png

On the other side

4ozocLr.png

On the other side- map screen (I have a collection of asteroids at the KSC)

usPMhCt.png

F3 screenshot- I'm really sorry! I EVA'd one of my kerbals, and now it says this! Please don't make me do this again! I swear I've never been above 10 km! ;.; (Please, I can post WAY more screenshots if you need proof.)

Edited by Ho Lam Kerman

Yay! Thank you!

On 5/14/2018 at 9:55 PM, Andetch said:

So now I just take the badge from the first page, and put it into my signature?

Because no-one's PM'd me with the badge.

12 hours ago, Ho Lam Kerman said:

Yay! Thank you!

So now I just take the badge from the first page, and put it into my signature?

Because no-one's PM'd me with the badge.

There is a lot of honour or trust based systems in KSP - we're all mature wannabe rocket scientists (some less wannabe, I think Elon Musk plays KSP due to some of the things he has said) so it isn't expected that people will "cheat" and grab badges they don't deserve! :) Well done on your flight. I will be attempting this shortly.

I sort of just did this, in under an hour too! Made a video - it was all great.... until.....

........ I had part G force limits enabled......... I was on final approach, around mach 2 preparing to land........

....... It turns out that my aero-braking maneuver exerts around 70G onto the craft........... and some of the airframe couldn't take it...... but the wings stayed on along with some of the control surfaces, as did 2 out of the three wheels..... so with only 1 aileron and 1 horizontal tail piece, and 2 out of 3 wheels I touched down at 100 m/s (WAY TO FAST)...... I almost had it, but the bounce, then the roll and BOOM! 

No survivors. Not even a single bit of debris.....

BUT I  DID MAKE IT ALL THE WAY AROUND KERBIN! 

Am I disqualified for it being a fatal flight? 

EDIT: I didn't save the video properly, so I am definitely disqualified... Darn it

Edited by Andetch

11 hours ago, Andetch said:

I sort of just did this, in under an hour too! Made a video - it was all great.... until.....

........ I had part G force limits enabled......... I was on final approach, around mach 2 preparing to land........

....... It turns out that my aero-braking maneuver exerts around 70G onto the craft........... and some of the airframe couldn't take it...... but the wings stayed on along with some of the control surfaces, as did 2 out of the three wheels..... so with only 1 aileron and 1 horizontal tail piece, and 2 out of 3 wheels I touched down at 100 m/s (WAY TO FAST)...... I almost had it, but the bounce, then the roll and BOOM! 

No survivors. Not even a single bit of debris.....

BUT I  DID MAKE IT ALL THE WAY AROUND KERBIN! 

Am I disqualified for it being a fatal flight? 

EDIT: I didn't save the video properly, so I am definitely disqualified... Darn it

I use F5/F9 a lot for airplane touchdown, because I'm a n00b and I take 20-30 landing attempts before I can actually land.

On my circumnavigation attempt I was moving WAYYY too fast for touchdown and I had to pull up and reattempt. :P

7 hours ago, Ho Lam Kerman said:

I use F5/F9 a lot for airplane touchdown, because I'm a n00b and I take 20-30 landing attempts before I can actually land.

On my circumnavigation attempt I was moving WAYYY too fast for touchdown and I had to pull up and reattempt. :P

I tend to always forget to use that handy function! I am a pretty good pilot usually - I think the reason I didn't manage to land was I built my craft quickly and forgot to stiffen the suspension in the wheels - that's why it bounced so badly! I try and make my planes so that to land them you can just line up, reduce throttle and you don't need any/much control input. Others...... well let's just say I have got pretty good at landing backwards! Hence why the loss of both engines, some of the body, and half the control surfaces didn't make me reach for the revert! 

Got some good data from the flight though, like it took just under an hour to do the flight cruising at around 1,100 m/s at 22,000 metres. 

Attempt two; watch this space!

I overhauled my science/survey plane

https://kerbalx.com/TheFlyingKerman/LKA-1CIII

So I took it for another circumnavigation.

Took off from the runway

screenshot115.png

I flew along the equator, to the opposite side of Kerbin.

screenshot116.png

First circumnavigation

screenshot117.png

screenshot118.png

Second circumnavigation

screenshot119.png

Third circumnavigation

screenshot120.png

Fourth circumnavigation. I was running out of fuel and this plane has high landing speed. I slid out out the runway.

screenshot121.png

screenshot122.png

Mission report

screenshot123.png

Edited by TheFlyingKerman

Caveman Tech Endurance

In honour of the first kerbals to attempt this feat, we decided to do the challenge under caveman rules. 

The flight time was 2 hrs 37 mins. We did drift off a true 90 a little, and had to correct this on approach to KSC. Also took a few attempts to get the landing (and also my 2 year old unplugged my laptop halfway through one attempt and it ran out of battery - I would have been annoyed if she wasn't so cute!) but I have finally completed this! 

@zolotiyeruki
https://imgur.com/a/uUYi6cW
https://kerbalx.com/Andetch/Caveman-Endurance

rUh93Uf.pngcoY7z2H.pngOBmAjk6.pngti2EfLP.pngWx6RVzF.png

Edited by Andetch

19 minutes ago, zolotiyeruki said:

Are you sure you went all the way around Kerbin? 157 minutes * 60 sec/min * 0.29 km/s = 2750 km, while the circumference of Kerbin is about 3800 km.

I'm guessing a quicksave issue, because in one of the screenshots the speed is obviously higher at over 670m/s 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.