The Jool 500 Kolonization Challenge Continuation

15 minutes ago, Jhawk1099 said:

So a small progress update. Using USI life support and planetary bases I have created a self sustaining base for 10 kerbals given that enough ore is generated to feed the algae farms. Lets see if I can scale up to 50 or so.

Awesome. Is there a seperate thread where you have screenshots of the mission?

I've wanted to learn how to build a usi self sufficient base for a while, so I've started an entry for this challenge.

To limit the drain on life support I'll send stuff every transfer window.

To practice that I sent a ship with 46 probes the first transfer window on a 375d path to Jool. I'm hooping I can get all probes in position before the second transfer window. 

Will start a thread in the mission reports section when I'm done getting the probes into position.

On 12/1/2016 at 5:00 AM, Nefrums said:

I've wanted to learn how to build a usi self sufficient base for a while, so I've started an entry for this challenge.

To practice that I sent a ship with 46 probes the first transfer window on a 375d path to Jool. I'm hooping I can get all probes in position before the second transfer window.

It's very easy if you use the planetary bases mod. This mod gives you an algae farm which converts ore into fertilizer and then you can use the fertilizer to generate more supplies. Also if you use some of the recycling modules you will be able to run a base off of much less ore but more electricity 

Also I'm hooping made me laugh. 

Edited by Jhawk1099

I got pretty far in the last version's challenge, but I remember it got super duper unstable once I had like 80 vehicles up at once and it looked like I'd need 200ish to make it all work. Did this last patch do anything about that?

7 hours ago, Admac said:

I got pretty far in the last version's challenge, but I remember it got super duper unstable once I had like 80 vehicles up at once and it looked like I'd need 200ish to make it all work. Did this last patch do anything about that?

Sort of, I am going to lower the amount of probes needed and probably get rid of the rover/lander thing. This should save about 3 crafts per moon if I am not correct. If there are too many vessels may I suggest simply sending larger vessels such as 4 25-kerbal landers instead of 10 10-kerbal landers? If this didn't answer your question please tell me so I can attempt to answer again. Hope this helps.

1 hour ago, Viragos said:

After I get the comsats in place I am probably going to have to fork the save and do each moon individually. My PC is already struggling with the flight count and I am just getting ready to send the Comsat constellation.

Not a problem but please posts screenshots of the missions being done. I suggest putting the screenshots in their own mission report thread so that it doesn't fill this one. If everyone posted their screenshots it would get hecti considering the size of the challenge. Good luck on the rest of your mission.

Ok I have just added the Outer Planets Mod to the mods list, simply to give more planets to get science from.

On 12/3/2016 at 2:29 PM, Nefrums said:

Probes sent, time to start Building the first base.

http://www.imgur.com/gallery/OpI6B

Looks good. I really like your launcher, it looks both industrial and sleek at the same time.

• 3 years later...
On 2/13/2020 at 10:08 AM, Kerbolitto said:

Hey @JacobJHC !

Is it possible to give a try at this challenge ? Is there a more recent one by you or someone else (septemberwaves) ? :)

I don't have a very good PC but I'm willing to start colonizing one or two moons :)

Go right ahead and best of luck! This is the most recent version of the thread unless it got rebooted without me knowing.

On 12/9/2016 at 6:19 AM, Jhawk1099 said:

{Self-sustaining base]  It's very easy if you use the planetary bases mod. This mod gives you an algae farm which converts ore into fertilizer and then you can use the fertilizer to generate more supplies.

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't water required .  And most of Jool's moons have no water ?

Challenge Accepted.

Starting this on a career save that has no Kerbals in space right now, and just installed USI and Planetary Base systems.  I'll post pics soon - so far I sent comms and 2 mining craft in the first Jool window.

Progress Report 1: Ran a few test ships up to high orbit with USI (I haven't messed with it in a while).  I've got a decent shuttle that can take 6 pax, a greenhouse, 2 recycling units.  It uses 300 fertilizer in 124 days - I haven't been able to get any better efficiency than that with various configurations.  Problem is when I scale it up to 30 kerbals my power requirements get really high.  In Kerbin orbit 8 of the largest solar panels can't keep up, and way out at Jool it's going to be impossible to use solar power to keep them alive without massive arrays that don't fit on the ship.  Planetary Base Systems has a little reactor that outputs well - I'm deciding now whether to use that (with its finite fuel source) or to put up a massive solar array module and assemble in orbit.

Progress Report 2: Successfully scaled up the my transfer ship Ark 68, now it handles 68 kerbals with ease.  Part count is getting a bit hefty now, I think this is max for my laptop.  1 reactor, 1 large greenhouse, 14 small unmanned greenhouses, 2 big recyclers and 62 small ones, ugh.

Edited by Jetski

I have loaded USI-LS and Planetary Base Systems, and having some fun designing a base.  I can support 15 Kerbals in a neat 32t base which works on land and floating on the Sagen Sea.  The only problem in using this base is the availability of water.  Apparently in the Jool system only Laythe has water, and I have learned that Vall has no water, I was so certain that it should have.  

37 minutes ago, jinnantonix said:

I have loaded USI-LS and Planetary Base Systems, and having some fun designing a base.  I can support 15 Kerbals in a neat 32t base which works on land and floating on the Sagen Sea.  The only problem in using this base is the availability of water.  Apparently in the Jool system only Laythe has water, and I have learned that Vall has no water, I was so certain that it should have.  

Well just remove the floaties and add some landing gearies ! : D

Might I suggest a less restrictive allowed mod list, in favor of general guidelines? A lot of the mods listed haven't been updated in forever, and in many cases there are more recent mods with similar functionality (Atomic Age vs. Kerbal Atomics for example).

How is everyone recruiting kerbals for this?  Ive looked into CivPop, but it was unstable last time I tried. 500 LKO rescues seems insane, and buying them in the Astronaut Complex is silly in Career, after the first 50 the cost per is astronomical. I know that the Cheat menu allows "Create a Kerbal".  a painfully slow click 500 times yikes. Any good mods?

Cargo bay test : I can put 2 outposts in that thing, bit cramped and heavy on part count ..! The room at the front will hold a lander for the modules before assembly takes place on the ground :)

By the way I'm streaming sometimes ! There is a video of the concept & creation of the modules from start to finish, followed by packaging into a fake bay of the mothership (approx 2h12) below :)

I went with a super-basic rover to deploy the outpost modules, tested and proven on Constellation challenge !

Spoiler

uBGV2E9.jpg

Edited by Kerbolitto

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.