Impacts without actually hitting something - in warp

WanderingKid

So, anyone else impacted Mun without actually hitting anything?  I was strolling into a landing vector at ~5,200k 5,200 m at 10x warp on equator, enjoying watching the moonscape go by, and suddenly I detonated.  F3 shows I impacted Mun.  According to my Mark 1 eyeballs, no such thing occurred, though there was a possible problem on the horizon... which was supposed to be after my braking maneuver.

Anyone else have this occur to them?

Edited by WanderingKid

5,200 m.  I was on a landing orbit, sorry, typo.  Yes, it's possible to find mountains at that height but usually it's polar or near crater rims.  However, I must stress: I saw nothing to hit.  Nada.  Didn't even clip something and take the engine off the bottom.  Just 'WHUMPH', dere it went, like I had forgotten to brake during landing.

43 minutes ago, RX2000 said:

If you were on warp maybe you hit a mountain before your comp could draw it in?

I would go with that.

Have you looked into the log to see the order in which your craft went poof? That could tell you something.

2 hours ago, LordFerret said:

I would go with that.

Have you looked into the log to see the order in which your craft went poof? That could tell you something.

The log appears to have overwritten with a launch of a new game cycle, so while that was a great idea, I appear to have lost my chance to do so.

Which I was.  I restored an older save and did the same maneuver to the same general height (4,500 m Periapsis), and absolutely no problems.  Very weird, but apparently not one I can recreate, not with/without warp, not with ship positioning, and not with swapping ships mid-landing pattern (something I had done before).  I dunno.

Dunno if it's been changed in 1.2, but if I recall, KSP uses approximated number while under warp to speed up calculations. I recall seeing a video (I think by Danny) testing collision detection under warp (granted, this was under accelerated warp, so at most 4x). Visual cues didn't match up with actual events (i.e. things blowing up with meters worth of offsets.) I'm guessing something similar happened here. Did you happen to pass close to anything, like skimming over a plateau?

I don't recall this ever happening to me, but I tend to not use time acceleration too much close to bodies. (And when I do, it's usually in quick spurts.)

High warp while relatively close to a planetary size body is a risk in KSP, because the game starts taking liberties and calculating positions and triggers in bigger steps apart. Viewed from a Kerbol perspective, planetary bodies and their moons are zooming at very high speeds through space, and every physics calculation represents big distances.

You may have just had the misfortune that the collision routines were triggered before the game could reposition the craft to the equivalent position the surface had moved to, or vice versa, and for that split second both were in the same place at the same time. This can happen sometimes faster than the screen is redrawn, so it still looks like they're nowhere near each other.

It used to be a frequent thing once upon a time, I've not had it happen in recent versions though.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.