KSP Weekly: Hallogreen is here!

SQUAD

5 hours ago, SQUAD said:

There’s been a lot of work on feedback and balance issues, too.

Sweet Kraken above! Could it be!?

No no I shouldn't jump to conclusions last time I assumed squad would try to actually balance thier game was 1.0... it took 5 hotfixes just to get the atmosphere physics right cause no one had ever heard of play testing... Heck I doubt anyone in mexico city even plays career mode...

but damn do I wish there there was some details! I mean at first I was assuming everyone was just getting up to speed and not to expect much worth reporting to be done, but this sounds like a subject with some really meat on its bones how come we aren't getting more about what exactly they are balancing, what do they see is wrong with the current balance(spoiler: a lot), and what are they trying to do to fix it? this is the sort of stuff we want to know not cringe worthy slogans like "hallogreen" what is this a game about little green men in space or an environmental awareness blog about candy wrapper littering?

8 hours ago, SQUAD said:

Another of the things that has kept us busy is the localization of the game, which is a difficult and tedious process, but have achieved significant progress so far. Do you want to guess how many lines of code KSP has?

Moreover, the design team has also been busy with localization, basically preparing the PSD files so we can change the text easily and extracting the text from all images, this includes taking font decisions, as well.

YEAH! THANKS, Can't wait to play KSP in French :P
So many children are waiting of this feature here :wink:

With all respect to the information and general content - when you make an official post onto to the forums which chosen language is English I'd try to avoid spelling mistakes and other little mistakes. 

When you hit a community once a week with such a longer post it should impress, going with the general movement on the internet of being triggered / offended / making a conspiracy theory out of everything people might start seeing neglection in a not so proper post. This might seem exaggerated now - who knows for the future. :wink::)

Edited by Theysen

9 hours ago, SQUAD said:
Another good news is that our official mod “Asteroid Day” has been finally released for 1.2 in curse, you can get it here.

@SQUAD The download file extracts a folder called \Asteroid Day for Kerbal Space Program 1.2 but the CamSat cfg is looking for a folder called \AsteroidDay for the CamSat model.  You need to either change the folder name in the download or the README installation instructions to tell the user to rename the folder.

9 hours ago, SQUAD said:

Most of the devs have been fixing bugs for the 1.2.1 patch, for example, we’ve added a reset to default settings button in the game and fixed an issue with the ladder for the MK1 Inline cockpit that made them quite slippery when exiting the cockpit. Other interesting fixes and tweaks would include: Adding some OSX specific default bindings for Precision control and exposing a binding for the editor zoom modifier to help out the Mac players. We also fixed an issue in the fuel graph, where decouplers as root parts wouldn’t allow fuel crossfeed, and also one where career messages would disappear when you reverted. There’s been a lot of work on feedback and balance issues, too.

Another of the things that has kept us busy is the localization of the game, which is a difficult and tedious process, but have achieved significant progress so far. Do you want to guess how many lines of code KSP has?

Yay! Finally precision control for MAC and inline cockpit ladder fix! And maybe KSP will become more popular where I live thanks to localization!

7 hours ago, something said:

Just read this post. Then read it again to see if I missed something - apparently I did not. Very little information in there....

Here's the condensed version. They are working on a bugfix which won't solve all bugs and they hired a new guy. Beyond of that they're trying to translate a game from English to several languages while basically all online tutorials require you to understand English which is as effective as issuing driving licenses in a world without vehicles....

Did I get that right? The UI Flickr isn't solved in 1.2.1?

Oh so translating to other languages is what was ment by localization. I had no idea. 

9 hours ago, Redneck said:

Then what is this? 

http://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Multiplayer or this

http://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Planned_features

Ive been around since 2011 I dont recall ANYTHING where they said they would NOT!!

Ever since 2013 they have said at least once a year multiplayer was something they wanted to do this year is not over yet so yeah, the way squad is right now tho things could have change but if they are still working on it i would not expect to see Multiplayer until next year it seems like more of a side project they have been working on slowly.

http://www.pcgamer.com/kerbal-space-program-committed-to-multiplayer-career-and-sandbox-modes/  2013 - “Shaun [Esau, the developer of the multiplayer mod] has proven that multiplayer can be done, so Squad is committed to making multiplayer a part of the final release,” Squad PR manager Bob Holtzman said.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/216239/Kerbal_Space_Programs_next_big_dev_challenge_Adding_multiplayer.php  2014 - "It's still so early in the development of multiplayer, we can't even guess at how it will eventually turn out," he notes, "but it's something our players have always debated. We never actually surveyed our community formally, yet we could see for a lot of people, multiplayer was the top request on their wish-list for KSP."

Edited by 731destroyer

Cheers for Squad developers who are kindred minds of KSP.
Certainly, we have lots of suggestion, and request, but the development doesn't need to rush. KSP was not built in a day.

The KSPWeekly is important one of the windows that connect developers and Kerbonauts. I appreciate their having several windows.

I'm looking forward to next news. thanks.

So you think internationalization is a bad goal?

This is the kind of things you do at the end of the development process. The objective of localization is to hit a larger audience, and then to sell more games. Its more marketing than game development.

English fits this game very well. There is a lot of humor inside and it will be difficult if not impossible to translate accurately. And it never hurt anyone to learn English while playing.

10 hours ago, something said:

The UI Flickr isn't solved in 1.2.1?

8 hours ago, TriggerAu said:

Oh my goodness it better be fixed or I'll be very sad :( , Done our darndest to fix and test it as much as possible and the exp team are on it as well.

@RoverDude confirmed it was fixed on one of his streams.

1 hour ago, N_Molson said:

This is the kind of things you do at the end of the development process. 

Yep.  Timing seems about right to me.

1 hour ago, N_Molson said:

And it never hurt anyone to learn English while playing.

How many languages have you become fluent in to play games / watch movies?  I've learned none because subtitles are awesome.

Some work by tens to makes playing KSP easier for thousands sounds like a good trade off to me.

2 hours ago, klgraham1013 said:

@RoverDude confirmed it was fixed on one of his streams.

Yep.  Timing seems about right to me.

How many languages have you become fluent in to play games / watch movies?  I've learned none because subtitles are awesome.

Some work by tens to makes playing KSP easier for thousands sounds like a good trade off to me.

I became reasonably fluent in English as a kid, before ever learning it in school, from watching cartoons. All the dubbing and localisation nowadays seems like dumbing down to me and I dislike it. But that is just my personal experience.

@TriggerAu

@Badie

Any chance for a prerelease of the flicker free 1.2.1 on steam? I would like to start my next modded career so badly. :wink::)  ... No problem if not, but if yes, it would be great. :)

BTW, on some (more than 1) streams with 1.2 release I saw a problem, that fuel transfer was possible and after undocking/redocking it wasn't possible anymore until one enabled/disabled obey fuel transfer crossfeed rules.
In one case there was a materials lab inline, which has no crossfeed, according the part file. In the end my assumption was, that fuel transfer with "obey on" in this case had not should be enabled at first time, at all. So I think the bug was more, that it was working before and not, that it was not working later. Is this the problem you guys talking about when talking about a fix regarding fuel transfer?

Edited by Jebs_SY

4 hours ago, klgraham1013 said:

Subtitles are better than dubbing.

One reason why we Scandinavians rank high in English as a second language is that our own languages have relatively few users so dubbing becomes very expensive (cost of dubbing vs potential viewers).

We get indoctrinated from a very young age on how English is supposed to sound, even before we understand what they actually say :wink:

And with modern things like Internet (yes, I'm old) it's not only movies and tv-series, it's games and forums. And not only English.

When I went to school, 40+ years ago, we started to learn English in 7:th grade, it dropped to 4:th in just some years. Now they start playing with English in pre-school ...

15 hours ago, Vanamonde said:

I am not angry. 

My post contributes little to the discussion, I realize, but I thought folks reading the thread might like a little variety. 

Everyone's going hard over Localization and Multiplayer and I'm just sitting here gently wishing I could see my Parts List with consistency :D

@ Everyone in general...   If multiplayer comes, that's going to be freaking awesome. At least, it would be fun to screw around near KSC with someone else, or to explore the Mohole with 2 players. And honestly? If it doesn't, then by the time we find that out officially I'm guessing that enough time will have passed that we will have moved onto another game... or at least another issue.

Although multiplayer BDArmory does sound kind of fun too....

A non negligible part of KSP is humor. Part descriptions, loading hints, contracts... Translating that will be a gargantuan task which most likely won't be possible. Stripping away the humor from KSP leaves me with exactly what? I don't know...but it will miss a lot. ...

I personally am not surprised by the lack of detail about what's being worked on and what's  in 1.2..1 and 1.3.

Ok, 1.2.1 will be a fairly typical bugfix/tweak and balance with a maybe a chance of something small being added. No great surprises there, but they possibly don't know for sure themselves yet what will be in beyond what they've already said, and as for 1.3 and beyond, thats even less defined.

If they gave details they could be wrong because plans can and do change, often because something doesn't work or isn't ready, so releasing plans or even general 'we want to do...' statements leads to expectations and disappointment and then complaints when it's not done yet.  As an example look what's happened to multiplayer, Squad said they want to do it, but it will take time to get it right (and no time scale was given either), and yet they keep getting asked 'what's happening when will it be ready, it should be done by now. ..' sometimes in quite blunt ways.  

Yes, of course I would like more details about future plans and content too, but I don't think a big list of 'things they want to do at some point' would be of any real benefit. 

6 minutes ago, HoloYolo said:

Like what will you even do in multiplayer?

Space race with competing agencies?

Co-op station/base building?

Reciprocating rescues?

Formation flying?

Combat?

Racing?

Actually seeing some other intelligently controlled craft/being moving around the otherwise empty solar system?

What would one possibly do with such nonsense...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.