KSP Weekly: Hallogreen is here!

SQUAD

tumblr_inline_ofs55boNnT1rr2wit_540.png

Welcome to KSP Weekly, Kerbonauts! This week was mainly about preparing the next patch, localization, getting hyped with Halloween (or should we say Hallogreen) and the Day of the Dead…Muahaha!

Now, let’s start with what kept us busy this week:

On the QA front, this week consisted on report triage, bug hunting and even some squashing! With all the tweaking and fixes we’ve pushed out an experimentals build of 1.2.1 to get more eyeballs on things like the UI flicker fixes as well. Its shaping up quite nicely.

Despite of this, not everything will get included in a patch due to future work that may cover it already. In the background, we are still honing our systems with documentation and improved tests. Some community members pointed out last week that some bugs are still outstanding, yes this is true, but they do not have a simple or speedy fix, so may well be part of future works.

As most of you know, the community plays a huge part in the development and polishing of the game and we have been gathering quite a lot of feedback from the community to improve the game even further. We are already working on several items in this category and we will continue doing so.

Most of the devs have been fixing bugs for the 1.2.1 patch, for example, we’ve added a reset to default settings button in the game and fixed an issue with the ladder for the MK1 Inline cockpit that made them quite slippery when exiting the cockpit. Other interesting fixes and tweaks would include: Adding some OSX specific default bindings for Precision control and exposing a binding for the editor zoom modifier to help out the Mac players. We also fixed an issue in the fuel graph, where decouplers as root parts wouldn’t allow fuel crossfeed, and also one where career messages would disappear when you reverted. There’s been a lot of work on feedback and balance issues, too.

Another of the things that has kept us busy is the localization of the game, which is a difficult and tedious process, but have achieved significant progress so far. Do you want to guess how many lines of code KSP has?

Moreover, the design team has also been busy with localization, basically preparing the PSD files so we can change the text easily and extracting the text from all images, this includes taking font decisions, as well. In the meantime, some fun spooky images for Halloween were created, too, did you like them?

Another good news is that our official mod “Asteroid Day” has been finally released for 1.2 in curse, you can get it here.

We also want to take this opportunity to present to you the latest addition to our team, in case you missed Squadcast: His name is Julio, friends call him Zabre, and he joined our ranks this monday. Zabre is a talented programmer, who’s very passionate about videogames and has experience in mobile gaming & interactive apps like VR, AR and Kinect. Just as Julio joined the team, there was some work waiting for him already, like helping prepare the game for the localization process and getting to know the kps game mechanics and code, not an easy task! Zabre had also some words to share: “I know this new chapter on my life is going to be a nice trip, looking forward for the adventure and beyond!” Welcome Julio! o/

And while being in this introduction mood, we also want to introduce you to the newest KSPTV member…RocketPCGaming! Here’s a little something he wanted to share with you all:

So you have discovered the little bug-eyed, green, humanoids that call themselves Kerbals, that are endeavoring to step off their home planet for the first time and need your help to do it. But where do you start? Join me, RocketPCGaming, on KSPTV, and I will show you how to get started with your Kerbal Space Program. Ready to go vertical?

Furthermore, remember that you can still submit your costume ideas for our Hallogreen Contest, you have until Monday to do so. Don’t miss the chance to get a Jeb Plushie!

Finally, but not the least, Avera9eJoe shared this awesome poem with us. Very in tune with the current festivities:

As the nights grow long and the shadows are strong, strange tales begin to unfold;

It’s once again time for a fearful rhyme that will make your blood run cold.

There was an explorer (to all his friends horror) who went by the name of Jeb;

Twas not a sight that would make him affright unlike bob the skittish pleb.

Jeb sat alone on his valiant throne while others admired his zeal,

But one fateful night and one Halloween sprite did make their opinions reel.

There’s a space faring beast that on spaceships would feast, it’s grip once made wouldn’t slacken;

It’s colossal mouth has sent many trips south; and the name of the beast is “Kraken”.

Every Kerbal knows how the story goes and they speak it all ho-hum,

But as they snear they secretly fear that one day it would come.

One spooky night on a long Kerbal flight, Jeb was floating by Jool,

And as he passed he looked out the glass and froze when he saw the ghoul.

The huge death machine looked awful mean as it gazed ominously back,

Staring in surprise with two big eyes, tentacles, and ink sac!

“It’s the Kraken!” Jeb yelled as his dread swelled, for his life he now did fear

Might soon end short if he didn’t retort shouting “Mayday! Control, can you hear?!”

The command center replied sounding quite surprised, “Jeb, my boy what’s amiss?”

Ignoring his pride he promptly replied, “The Kraken! It’ll turn me into swiss!”

Jeb grabbed control, and flew towards Pol but the Kraken he didn’t evade,

Though his boosters sang the beast reared and sprang, it’s choice of prey had been made.

Of the many sights seen on his flights young Jeb never felt such fear

But despite his fame and the rockets aflame, the Kraken at last was here.

But he opened his eyes and saw with surprise the beast just stared at the tyke,

The last of it’s race and alone in space the Kraken didn’t wish to strike.

It’s ghoulish disguise now looked quite wise, as the creature peered into his shack,

Still things seemed bleak when it opened its beak, but politely it asked for a snack!

Happy Halloween Kerbonauts

That’s it for this week. Be sure to join us on our official forums, and don’t forget to follow us on Twitter and Facebook. Stay tuned for more exciting and upcoming news!

Happy launchings!

16 minutes ago, SQUAD said:

As most of you know, the community plays a huge part in the development and polishing of the game and we have been gathering quite a lot of feedback from the community to improve the game even further. We are already working on several items in this category and we will continue doing so.

Like what?

I'm interested to hear what the devs are doing- their successes, their walls, etc. It's what I read this for. Names are nice, too. I like getting to talk to the people who are improving my favorite game. Can we get more of that, and less referring to different programing teams?

4 minutes ago, Dman979 said:

Like what?

I'm interested to hear what the devs are doing- their successes, their walls, etc. It's what I read this for. Names are nice, too. I like getting to talk to the people who are improving my favorite game. Can we get more of that, and less referring to different programing teams?

For this very reason, I miss the old DevNotes.

5 minutes ago, Dman979 said:

Like what?

I second this-- is there a reason for this change in format? I preferred the previous format and would like to know, though I am glad the community is getting updated in some way each week.

The last dev note format was far superior to this one. I feel like you guys are regressing to an earlier, less communicative Squad. We had that Squad for a few years already and it was terrible. Please reconsider using a more comprehensive dev note format like the one before this.

New DevNo...err...KSP Weekly is pretty much what I expected post 1.2 events.

34 minutes ago, SQUAD said:

Despite this, not everything will get included in a patch due to future work that may cover it already.

Considering how good 1.2 is, anything in 1.2.1 is icing.

Yep, just what I expected as well, the Daily Kerbal, which, dealt with, you know, community things--mods, videos, fan works, etc.--is dead.  Now it's just a weekly posting of not-very-detailed devnotes, and not much else.  As @regexsaid, a step backwards.

I thought it might be due to the transition period, but instead it seems this is the New Squad.

33 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

For this very reason, I miss the old DevNotes.

Well we are trying to make some changes, of course our new developers will be present in each KSP Weekly so you can get to know them! But I appreciate your opinion :) it's always good to have some feedback 

Just now, Badie said:

Well we are trying to make some changes, of course our new developers will be present in each KSP Weekly so you can get to know them! But I appreciate your opinion :) it's always good to have some feedback 

Can't wait for that!

Just now, Badie said:

Well we are trying to make some changes

Ok, but it didn't really seem like they were broken, you know what I mean? :)

Just now, Badie said:

of course our new developers will be present in each KSP Weekly so you can get to know them!

Glad to hear it! :)

2 minutes ago, legoclone09 said:

I would very much like some parts of the Daily Kerbal back. I loved Modding Monday! And I do think specifying what each developer did would be great as well.

That's something that won't disappear, we are working on some things to highlight those cool things that the community does!  

Just now, Dman979 said:

Ok, but it didn't really seem like they were broken, you know what I mean? :)

Glad to hear it! :)

No they were not broken of course we know people like them it just that we want to give new things to you guys! We are trying to make things better and to make you more happy, that's why I appreciate your opinion Dman979 :)

2 minutes ago, Badie said:

I cannot speak but for a few of the forum members I think I know well... we are understanding the need for changes, especially with the change of the development team. I do not want this to seem overly negative, so I will just add this to what has already been said - many of us forum users are already sold on how great the game is. It is why we've become active members of the forum. While I understand the need to market the game, we are not the ones you have to sell the game to - but if you want our help, then engage us. Give us reasons why we should promote this game. Right now, I'm not seeing a lot of that coming from the new devteam; I see pandering...

1 minute ago, legoclone09 said:

Can't wait for that!

Hear, here! Neither can I.

1 hour ago, SQUAD said:

:huh: What Items? What about Multiplayer? Is Multiplayer next? Why is this question so difficult to answer?

Edited by Redneck

Just now, 731destroyer said:

Wow, this was the longest fluff post I have ever seen, the only reason I ever came on the forums was for the in-depth dev notes of what was happening.

If I wanted to read fluff I would go on the subreddit

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it"

I guess you could say it's so fluffy you could sleep on it.

1 hour ago, SQUAD said:

We also fixed an issue ... where career messages would disappear when you reverted.

I thought that was itself a bug fix? If you complete a contract and then revert, that message should disappear.

Unless I'm misunderstanding, which never ever happens :)

1 hour ago, SQUAD said:

Welcome Julio!

Welcome! You got your company-provided flack jacket I assume? :D

15 minutes ago, Redneck said:

Is Multiplayer next?

No

Why is this question so difficult to answer?

It's not. I don't even work for Squad and I can answer it.

Edited by 5thHorseman

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.