KSP Weekly: Hallogreen is here!

SQUAD

3 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

They've said it since .22 and with every subsequent update. :D That's how we know...

Then what is this? 

http://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Multiplayer or this

http://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Planned_features

Ive been around since 2011 I dont recall ANYTHING where they said they would NOT!!

Edited by Redneck

6 minutes ago, Redneck said:

So may I ask how you arrived to that conclusion?

It's really really hard to implement, nobody will use it after the initial "oh gee!" newness wears off, they've been pretty good in the recent past at discussing openly what WILL be in next versions, and they're not talking about it at all since saying "Yeah it'll be in some day maybe." tl;dr I used logic and observation, and critical thinking.

Frankly I would not be surprised at all if multiplayer was never officially added to the game. I've been surprised before though so who knows. I never thought Minecraft would get it either.

Edited by 5thHorseman

7 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

It's really really hard to implement, nobody will use it after the initial "oh gee!" newness wears off, they've been pretty good in the recent past at discussing openly what WILL be in next versions, and they're not talking about it at all since saying "Yeah it'll be in some day maybe." tl;dr I used logic and observation, and critical thinking.

Frankly I would not be surprised at all if multiplayer was never officially added to the game. I've been surprised before though so who knows. I never thought Minecraft would get it either.

This is EXACTLY why we need clairification from SQUAD. Its real simple....Yes or No. And I have personally been waiting years for this because they said they WOULD! KMP and DMP prooved it was doable and that was WITHOUT access to the KSP code!

Edited by Redneck

1 minute ago, Redneck said:

This is EXACTLY why we need clairification from SQUAD. Its real simple....Yes or No. And I have personally been waiting years for this because they said they WOULD! KMP and DMP prooved it was doable!

Yeah, and I want a dV readout. KER prooved it was doable and they've not mentioned that since a hint by a guy who has since quit. The same guy who - if memory serves - said Multiplayer was in the works.

Ships sail. Things promised become unviable for any of a number of reasons.

Also, everybody's complaining right now that there's no concrete information in these posts. I personally would like more as well. Maybe they're leery to give details because when things change people come on every thread asking why they've not been given what was promised.

8 minutes ago, Redneck said:

This is EXACTLY why we need clairification from SQUAD. Its real simple....Yes or No. And I have personally been waiting years for this because they said they WOULD! KMP and DMP prooved it was doable and that was WITHOUT access to the KSP code!

At one point, there was a thread that was an "official" SQUAD one of "Do not make these suggestions..." or something similar. It was on that thread they said NEVER to multiplayer.

18 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

Yeah, and I want a dV readout. KER prooved it was doable and they've not mentioned that since a hint by a guy who has since quit. The same guy who - if memory serves - said Multiplayer was in the works.

Ships sail. Things promised become unviable for any of a number of reasons.

Also, everybody's complaining right now that there's no concrete information in these posts. I personally would like more as well. Maybe they're leery to give details because when things change people come on every thread asking why they've not been given what was promised.

Yeah I get that...So again Squad needs to be honest with us and just say yey or ney. So if they really listening to feedback from us like the dev notes say who are they listening to? The question of multiplayer has been asked multiple times and they wont respond to it! 

15 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

At one point, there was a thread that was an "official" SQUAD one of "Do not make these suggestions..." or something similar. It was on that thread they said NEVER to multiplayer.

Ive never seen that at all...got a link? The threads Ive seen have never stated they would never do it. But they did say they were planning it towards the end. I reckon that time has come. 

Edited by Redneck

3 minutes ago, Redneck said:

Yeah I get that...So again Squad needs to be honest with us and just say yey or ney. So if they really listening to feedback from us like the dev notes say who are they listening to? The question of multiplayer has been asked multiple times and they wont respond to it! 

How about a maybe with a chance of never?  That's the sort of answer you're most likely to get because making games is hard.

6 minutes ago, Redneck said:
15 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

Ive never seen that at all...got a link?

At the bottom of the first post here is a link to the older "what not to suggest" thread. This is simply an attempt to save everyone some keystrokes, as certain things have been suggested sooo many times, that re-emphasizing them is about as effective as beating a poor old dead horse.

1 minute ago, klgraham1013 said:

How about a maybe with a chance of never?  That's the sort of answer you're most likely to get because making games is hard.

an answer from SQUAD is all im asking. yes or no

6 minutes ago, basic.syntax said:

At the bottom of the first post here is a link to the older "what not to suggest" thread. This is simply an attempt to save everyone some keystrokes, as certain things have been suggested sooo many times, that re-emphasizing them is about as effective as beating a poor old dead horse.

Thanks... I missed that one. Here's one by @KasperVld:

But it does refer you to a mod that allows multi-player. I've noticed that once a successful mod is released, Squad has rarely adopted it for the core game. Of course, the most recent comm network is a derivative of what already existed in mod-land.

While I do understand that many people want a multi-player game, I would just be happy with a game with fewer bugs. Can you imagine the world of pain that is going to happen if multiplayer is truly adapted? :confused:

Just read this post. Then read it again to see if I missed something - apparently I did not. Very little information in there....

Here's the condensed version. They are working on a bugfix which won't solve all bugs and they hired a new guy. Beyond of that they're trying to translate a game from English to several languages while basically all online tutorials require you to understand English which is as effective as issuing driving licenses in a world without vehicles....

Did I get that right? The UI Flickr isn't solved in 1.2.1?

On time, twice in a row! You're starting a new trend...

Contents: a little bit more detail about the work done, but not much. I'll keep watching how this develops.

2 hours ago, SQUAD said:

Another of the things that has kept us busy is the localization of the game, which is a difficult and tedious process, but have achieved significant progress so far.

In the previous KSP Weekly, you ended the paragraph about the localization asking the community's opinion on which languages to add/prioritize. Then silence. This time, nothing is said about that at all. No article or poll was posted to the forum in the mean time, or as far as I know, anywhere else.

I tried posting a poll in the International section myself, but -much as I expected since the new International forum format has been more deterrent than invitation for multi-lingual participation- it has seen only three votes from barely a few dozen views.

So how are you gauging the community opinion on this? Where is this question being asked, stats being compiled, etc? Where are we supposed to say anything about this so we know it is being taken into consideration?

2 hours ago, SQUAD said:

Do you want to guess how many lines of code KSP has?

"Three!" "Five, Sir." "Oh.. Five!"

2 hours ago, SQUAD said:

Another good news is that our official mod “Asteroid Day” has been finally released for 1.2 in curse, you can get it here.

A 'Yay!' for the telescope and the mission being up to date now... followed by a double take and a 'wait, what?' at it still being released as a separate mod, even though to do so it has to be cut in half due to the other parts already being stock. Is there something inherently preventing this from simply being included into the base game? (as it should!)

2 hours ago, SQUAD said:

We also want to take this opportunity to present to you the latest addition to our team, in case you missed Squadcast: His name is Julio, friends call him Zabre, and he joined our ranks this monday. Zabre is a talented programmer

Hey Zabre, welcome! (you haven't yet caused any major bugs that I know of, so for now we're friends :wink:).

2 hours ago, SQUAD said:

and getting to know the kps game mechanics and code

New game developed by Squad confirmed!!!!

The Kerbal Physics Simulator, it is coming!

12 minutes ago, something said:

Beyond of that they're trying to translate a game from English to several languages while basically all online tutorials require you to understand English

So you think internationalization is a bad goal?

Though I agree the notes are shy on content, for the 2nd week in a row. I would like to stress they were similarly shy right after 1.1 and 1.0 came out, and likely were after other major releases.

4 minutes ago, swjr-swis said:

Kerbal Physics Simulator

I was thinking Kerbal Person Shooter.

@adsii1970 that says nothing about squad not doing multiplayer. Please guys I need squad to respond they the only ones that know. I think me/we have derailed the thread enough. Let's get back on topic. My apologies moderators. Please continue with the thread. 

@5thHorseman Well, to a certain extent I admittedly do think that internationalisation will split the community. It is KSP's very own tower of Babel so to say. I won't go away from the English version.

Science fought a long war and decided to publish in English so everybody could profit from anybody's research and that's something we should keep in mind when going the exact opposite direction.

39 minutes ago, something said:

Just read this post. Then read it again to see if I missed something - apparently I did not. Very little information in there....

Here's the condensed version. They are working on a bugfix which won't solve all bugs and they hired a new guy. Beyond of that they're trying to translate a game from English to several languages while basically all online tutorials require you to understand English which is as effective as issuing driving licenses in a world without vehicles....

U didnt even read it once, did u?

With all the tweaking and fixes we’ve pushed out an experimentals build of 1.2.1 to get more eyeballs on things like the UI flicker fixes as well. Its shaping up quite nicely.

11 minutes ago, something said:

Well, to a certain extent I admittedly do think that internationalisation will split the community. It is KSP's very own tower of Babel so to say. I won't go away from the English version.

Science fought a long war and decided to publish in English so everybody could profit from anybody's research and that's something we should keep in mind when going the exact opposite direction.

I prefer my software in English despite it being my 3rd language; no different for KSP. I also agree that for exchange of ideas, it's helpful to pick one language, and English is as good as any and already has a head start.

But that's not the point, and there is no split to come. The people that would benefit from the localization are the ones that are giving KSP a wide berth right now after having first been interested by videos and images, then discover that all the fun/difficult stuff in the game is solidly blocked off behind a still-too-foreign-to-begin-to-understand language.

Personally, I think it will actually attract a good percentage of those people, and very likely even have a good influence in their getting a better grip on 'Scientific English' - maybe even conversational once they feel more encouraged to participate in the forum. Which would be a bonus, but first we need the language barrier to be removed that keeps them from even looking despite their interest.

Edited by swjr-swis

2 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

I thought that was itself a bug fix? If you complete a contract and then revert, that message should disappear.

That behaviour is correct yes, the problem being that all the messages would disappear, not just the ones gained since launch. So if you quicksave on the pad, quickload would reset the messages to its prelaunch state, but revert would simply delete all the messages. Now its consistent. 

1 hour ago, something said:

Oh my goodness it better be fixed or I'll be very sad :( , Done our darndest to fix and test it as much as possible and the exp team are on it as well.

4 hours ago, SQUAD said:

we’ve added a reset to default settings button in the game

Oh, awesome!  I've been waiting it.

3 hours ago, SQUAD said:

Another of the things that has kept us busy is the localization of the game, which is a difficult and tedious process, but have achieved significant progress so far. Do you want to guess how many lines of code KSP has?

Moreover, the design team has also been busy with localization, basically preparing the PSD files so we can change the text easily and extracting the text from all images, this includes taking font decisions, as well. In the meantime, some fun spooky images for Halloween were created, too, did you like them?

@sarbian made a Mod ”Kerbal Font Project” to solve the problem language last week. The localization system that you said is based on it probably, I think.

4 hours ago, SQUAD said:

Furthermore, remember that you can still submit your costume ideas for our Hallogreen Contest, you have until Monday to do so. Don’t miss the chance to get a Jeb Plushie!

Much to my chagrin, I couldn't prepare it at all. so I'll expect other kreator's.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.